270soft Forum

1804 US Election  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to help with any of the following?

• Play through the scenario and offer general feedback.
    • Play through as the Federalists and make sure it isn't too easy to win (it should be a struggle)
    • Help with other aspects such as double-checking information in the editor or in the .xls files, etc.
    • Sorry, I can't help with this scenario

Update: 

• Added many more Federalist and Republican VPs
  • Added several more events, all surrounding the plot by New England Federalists to encourage secession
  • Added general election bonuses, mostly to Federalists who would have been stronger candidates than Pinckney. 

Trying to figure out a way to prevent Jefferson from taking every state. If you start in the general election, Jefferson gains momentum by having a huge lead, which then only increases his lead by a huge margin. 

Update:

• Altered the general election bonuses to weaken Republicans other than Jefferson. This allows Federalists a shot at victory if they can work to prevent a Jefferson nomination. I just space-barred through an election between Federalist Chief Justice John Marshal vs. Republican Fmr Rep. Elbridge Gerry. Marshall won 92 to 84. 
  • Since I changed states without a popular vote from a population of 1 to a population of 100 (to represent 100% of the state legislature), I can now put the Federalists on the ballots on states in the South. 

Update: Added far-left and far-right positions, and adjusted platforms of the candidates. 

Note: At this point the Left-wing and Right-wing policies are so odd by a 21st century perspective, that someone like Hamilton or Monroe will have extreme left and right policies, which will make their overall platform position seem centrist, when you average them together. 

Update:

• Changed the images for Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton 
  • I've begun adding more endorsers, of which 30 or 40 more can be expected. 
  • Other minor tweaking 

Note: The election sims a little more balanced now. 

Update: As I'm really busy this week, it may take me a couple days or more to finish adding endorsers. 

I think this 1804 election will be surprisingly interesting, (if some what-ifs are turned on) even though it's Thomas Jefferson's reelection. 

Update: I've added extra endorsers for about half the States, got the rest to go. Again, I'll be a little slower on this update since I'm really preoccupied right now, but I'll continue to work on it a bit each day. I haven't seen @Lyly lately. If he's around, I think I posted the 1800 file,  in the 1800 thread, which is ready for a map. 

A few notes:

The issue "Internal improvements" needs the second i capitalized.

Virginia's piece of Delmarva is not filling properly - possibly also Rhode Island's placeholder. Easy to fix in the editor if you feel up to it (I suspect I just didn't add a second value for those states, you'd just press "new value" in the regions panel and then use the cursor to make a fill point inside each of those areas) - if not, I can do it myself for the next update.

I have been testplaying as Alexander Hamilton (easy mode). I've made it to the end of March so far. Jefferson has an appropriate level of exposure to attack, I feel, despite being an obviously strong and dominating candidate. New England is close enough that I feel confident saying Hamilton can win them from Jefferson before election day. Some states which are ideologically close to Hamilton are really tough to make inroads, notably Ohio and Pennsylvania. The Carolinas and Maryland are other areas where Hamilton has a chance.

By election day, a dedicated player could expect to hold Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, and Delaware with ease. That's 37 electoral votes. Everything else is a struggle however. In order of decreasing feasibility, I'd say the next options are New Jersey, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Maryland, and South Carolina. Jefferson has close to a 20-point lead in some of those states, but it's better than trying to fight for Virginia. Even so, all those states mentioned above give 87 electoral votes, while the winner needs 89 votes. Ohio and Pennsylvania are both nominally friendly to Hamilton's positions and one or the other should be on that list, but I've not had any luck moving them into my camp. ((I forgot to include New York in this analysis, but it's easier than New Jersey and harder than Vermont. Replace my statement about Ohio/Pennsylvania with New York and there's the rest of Hamilton's electoral votes))

All told, I'd rate this campaign very difficult, but not impossible. I don't think I personally could win this campaign without trying more than a few times, but I bet there are people around who could. The single biggest wildcard is Hamilton's vulnerability to scandals, and there's very little to do about that except being ready to sacrifice surrogates to neutralize it.

23 hours ago, Lyly said:

A few notes:

The issue "Internal improvements" needs the second i capitalized.

Virginia's piece of Delmarva is not filling properly - possibly also Rhode Island's placeholder. Easy to fix in the editor if you feel up to it (I suspect I just didn't add a second value for those states, you'd just press "new value" in the regions panel and then use the cursor to make a fill point inside each of those areas) - if not, I can do it myself for the next update.

I have been testplaying as Alexander Hamilton (easy mode). I've made it to the end of March so far. Jefferson has an appropriate level of exposure to attack, I feel, despite being an obviously strong and dominating candidate. New England is close enough that I feel confident saying Hamilton can win them from Jefferson before election day. Some states which are ideologically close to Hamilton are really tough to make inroads, notably Ohio and Pennsylvania. The Carolinas and Maryland are other areas where Hamilton has a chance.

By election day, a dedicated player could expect to hold Massachusetts, Connecticut, Vermont, and Delaware with ease. That's 37 electoral votes. Everything else is a struggle however. In order of decreasing feasibility, I'd say the next options are New Jersey, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Maryland, and South Carolina. Jefferson has close to a 20-point lead in some of those states, but it's better than trying to fight for Virginia. Even so, all those states mentioned above give 87 electoral votes, while the winner needs 89 votes. Ohio and Pennsylvania are both nominally friendly to Hamilton's positions and one or the other should be on that list, but I've not had any luck moving them into my camp. ((I forgot to include New York in this analysis, but it's easier than New Jersey and harder than Vermont. Replace my statement about Ohio/Pennsylvania with New York and there's the rest of Hamilton's electoral votes))

All told, I'd rate this campaign very difficult, but not impossible. I don't think I personally could win this campaign without trying more than a few times, but I bet there are people around who could. The single biggest wildcard is Hamilton's vulnerability to scandals, and there's very little to do about that except being ready to sacrifice surrogates to neutralize it.

This is very helpful. Thanks! 

@Lyly

I can't seem to edit the map, even with your written help. I'm going to repost it to you tomorrow once I finish the last of the updating that I need to do on this scenario. 

23 hours ago, Lyly said:

Alrighty, here's the map! I did another play through of the scenario with Pinckney. It is a fun campaign, but Jefferson is a friggin machine.

United States - 1804f.rar

Thanks! Yeah, it is a fun campaign. I'm trying to make the what-ifs shake up otherwise mediocre elections. For 1808, I have what-if people for the Northern and Southern Independent Republican Parties, which make that election more interesting. 

Update: Will change the color schemes of the Republicans and Federalists to those used on Wikipedia, rather than Blue for Jeffersonian Republicans and Red for Federalists

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Update: Will change the color schemes of the Republicans and Federalists to those used on Wikipedia, rather than Blue for Jeffersonian Republicans and Red for Federalists

Does this also mean the Whigs will be getting yellow as a party colour between 1836 and 1852, instead of red, as well?

42 minutes ago, Patine said:

Does this also mean the Whigs will be getting yellow as a party colour between 1836 and 1852, instead of red, as well?

Yes