270soft Forum

Jones won

Just now, NYrepublican said:

@Reagan04 Thoughts?

Eh, lose-lose situation, Doug Jones will get blown out in 2020 for reelection, but the Senate may just get thrown to the Democrats.

25 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

So Jones won.

How will this affect the Senate dynamics in 2018?

A) Now makes it alot easier for Dems to regain the Senate; assuming they hold every seat. 

B ) Steve Bannon lost to a pro choice Dem! And this comes right after the defeat in VA, so I'm not sure GoP senators will want him at their side. 

C) I doubt the GoP can/will pass legislation similar to the tax reform bill, or their healthcare reform bills; as they can now only afford to lose one vote.

D) Dems just won a seat in Alabama-first time since 92.  Much like GoP after Scott Brown's upset in 2009, Dems will probably be highly energized going into 2018.

23 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Last year, 2016, the senate race in Alabama was:

R: 63%
D:35%

A huge swing within the span of one year. And even wilder compare the two maps,and you can see that the stories of 'suburban republicans distancing themselves from Moore' was true.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama  (2016)

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama-senate-special-election-roy-moore-doug-jones  (2017)

9 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Last year, 2016, the senate race in Alabama was:

R: 63%
D:35%

A huge swing within the span of one year. And even wilder compare the two maps,and you can see that the stories of 'suburban republicans distancing themselves from Moore' was true.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama  (2016)

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama-senate-special-election-roy-moore-doug-jones  (2017)

I guess that's a good thing at least, hopefully 2018 follows a similar path :).

Oh my god, it will surely energize Dems. Winning a statewide election in a state that heavily voted for Trump- and said candidate is prochoice! What I'm curious is, what role- if any- Bannon will play in 2018.

I was shocked. I was prepared for Jones to lose by more than 5%

I was so happy, I couldn't even sleep last night. I hope my fellow Progressives allow Jones to vote as he needs to in order to hold the seat, which means he may have to be another Joe Manchin. I'm fine with that, it needs to be encouraged for him to hold the seat. 

I was totally shocked, good on Alabama for putting country before party and holding onto their reputation! Glad that there's another moderate in the Senate, but I would urge the Democrats not to take this as a sure sign of victory. I'm sure the majority of Republicans switched over to vote against Moore, not for Jones. I still stand firm by my belief that the Republicans will hold Congress next year if the Democrats don't figure out which direction they want to go in soon

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I was so happy, I couldn't even sleep last night. I hope my fellow Progressives allow Jones to vote as he needs to in order to hold the seat, which means he may have to be another Joe Manchin. I'm fine with that, it needs to be encouraged for him to hold the seat. 

you do know he going to lose that seat in 2 years right? and you want him to betray his voters just to stay in power?

12 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

you do know he going to lose that seat in 2 years right? and you want him to betray his voters just to stay in power?

He isn't going to betray his voter. Alabama Democrats are more conservative than average Democrats. He will be liberal on Civil Rights (women, minorities, and the poor), but he will be moderate-to-conservative elsewhere, as he must be. I just don't want my more puritan-minded progressive to end up condemning him for being more like Manchin and less like Warren. 

I think if he plays the seat like Manchin, as I expect him to, then he has a shot at holding the seat. This is especially the case if the GOP fields another ingrate like Roy Moore who hasn't the character or mental capacity to hold a national office. 

Although I have very mixed feelings about that (since I did not like both candidates for obvious reasons - Luther Strange would have been pretty great, though), what do you think? Is Jones a viable contender for the Democrats in 2020? In German speaking media he is praised like a hero. If the situation in the US is similar, he could be a strong force in 2020. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

He isn't going to betray his voter. Alabama Democrats are more conservative than average Democrats. He will be liberal on Civil Rights (women, minorities, and the poor), but he will be moderate-to-conservative elsewhere, as he must be. I just don't want my more puritan-minded progressive to end up condemning him for being more like Manchin and less like Warren. 

I think if he plays the seat like Manchin, as I expect him to, then he has a shot at holding the seat. This is especially the case if the GOP fields another ingrate like Roy Moore who hasn't the character or mental capacity to hold a national office. 

I understand your arguments very well. As potential good Republican challengers I see Jeff Sessions, Bob Riley, Martha Roby, Mo Brooks and for example other Congressmen from Alabama.

24 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Although I have very mixed feelings about that (since I did not like both candidates for obvious reasons - Luther Strange would have been pretty great, though), what do you think? Is Jones a viable contender for the Democrats in 2020? In German speaking media he is praised like a hero. If the situation in the US is similar, he could be a strong force in 2020. 

2020 is a presidential election year, so I highly doubt Jones will survive that senate election- assuming the Alabama GoP nominates a strong candidate, and he doesn't run for president. Is Jones a strong candidate for 2020, if he runs? Not too sure. 

58 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

2020 is a presidential election year, so I highly doubt Jones will survive that senate election- assuming the Alabama GoP nominates a strong candidate, and he doesn't run for president. Is Jones a strong candidate for 2020, if he runs? Not too sure. 

I actually talked about presidential ambitions of Jones. :D Sorry if I did not made that clear enough.

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

As much as I hate to admit it i do think this is the best course of action for Jones, but only because I personally think Alabama Mississippi most of the deep south with the exception of Florida is to far gone for a progressive message. 

Also I think it's kind of insulting comparing Jones to Manchin, at least Jones seems trustworthy.