270soft Forum

Al Franken Resigns

ThePotatoWalrus

@Bruce Fischer, you realize Mike Pence calls his wife "mother" because he had kids, right? Most of the time when you have kids growing up in the house, you'll call your spouse 'mom' or 'dad' instead of their real name in front of your kids, or even to themselves (my parents and grandparents do) as years pass you become accustomed to it and it becomes a nickname.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

@Bruce Fischer, you realize Mike Pence calls his wife "mother" because he had kids, right? Most of the time when you have kids growing up in the house, you'll call your spouse 'mom' or 'dad' instead of their real name in front of your kids, or even to themselves (my parents and grandparents do) as years pass you become accustomed to it and it becomes a nickname.

Yes, but since Pence socially lives in a previous century (like the 19th Century), it's difficult to separate innocent things like this from his more demeaning comments and barbaric, retrograde, reactionary, and, by a majority viewpoint, unwanted legislations, policies, and agendas.

13 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Actually if you look at the polls the opposite is true Americans want Single-Payer Health Care, they want drug legalization, they don't want to be in the middle east, when you look at the polls Americans are Left-Wing.

But they keep electing Republicans....

4 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

But they keep electing Republicans....

Except when you have populist left candidates like Alan Grayson or  Raul Grijalva but, when you have an Establishment Democrat Vs. a Republican instead of Republican-Light they take the real thing because hey there's no difference between them which brings me to my next point, Republicans know how to excite a base and market themselves, Democrats speak in vague language, and expect the progressive base to just fall in line but they know that their not going o push medicare for all or any other left wing idea their only going to work for their donors and be okay on social issues and that's just not enough.

4 minutes ago, WVProgressive said:

Except when you have populist left candidates like Alan Grayson or  Raul Grijalva but, when you have an Establishment Democrat Vs. a Republican instead of Republican-Light they take the real thing because hey there's no difference between them which brings me to my next point, Republicans know how to excite a base and market themselves, Democrats speak in vague language, and expect the progressive base to just fall in line but they know that their not going o push medicare for all or any other left wing idea their only going to work for their donors and be okay on social issues and that's just not enough.

But do you really think West Virginia is fertile ground for a person like Swearengin?

4 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

But do you really think West Virginia is fertile ground for a person like Swearengin?

Social issues aren't everything bud why do you think Bernie cleaned house in what was an open primary. The people want good safe well paying jobs, they don't want to be saddled with debt from medical bills, they want more investment in infrastructure, they wan't stronger unions all of which are left wing ideas. The only reason for the right-wing swing is because of democrats focusing on social issues because they know they couldn't win with Neo-Liberalism under which they have lost a thousand seats.   

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

Social issues aren't everything bud why do you think Bernie cleaned house in what was an open primary. The people want good safe well paying jobs, they don't want to be saddled with debt from medical bills, they want more investment in infrastructure, they wan't stronger unions all of which are left wing ideas. The only reason for the right-wing swing is because of democrats focusing on social issues because they know they couldn't win with Neo-Liberalism under which they have lost a thousand seats.   

1 hour ago, Reagan04 said:

The Republican and Democratic Parties of the United States are both failed parties with unworkable platforms and ineffectual candidates that have both disappointed and betrayed American voters since the late '70's. However, because the Duopoly controls the media and electoral system collectively, and no prominent, influential, powerful, or wealthy endorser will openly or seriously endorse a Third Party or Independent candidate in almost any case, and the upbringing and mentality of most Americans today is that someone elected for a major government office (outside the very odd-State level upset, which is always considered to solely be a rare exception, certainly not the rule) not being of either major is considered literally unthinkable or ludicrous of a concept, the Duopoly itself never goes down or is chastened by the voters, because any protest or punitive in any specific election is always instead manifested in a primary defeat or by voting for the Duopoly opposition party, and thus there's a pendulum effect, but the REAL political problem remains firmly and solidly entrenched.

1 hour ago, WVProgressive said:

But the left wing has failed West Virginia in pursuit of those values, they recognize the right wing is a better lane in which to pursue them. And of course, declaring war on coal doesn't help while being compounded by the fact you are singing kumbaya with gays and murdering a baby every 20 seconds. That is what West Virginia sees in the Democratic Party, as well as they should.

5 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

But the left wing has failed West Virginia in pursuit of those values, they recognize the right wing is a better lane in which to pursue them.

The fact that you called Democrats left-wing seems a bit silly to me.

And of course, declaring war on coal

The natural death on coal and it's effects on Appalachia were compounded by our leaders from Manchin to Rockefeller to Byrd (possible Capito but i don't thinks shes been in there that long enough to make a difference) not diversifying our economy.

doesn't help while being compounded by the fact you are singing kumbaya with gays and murdering a baby every 20 seconds. That is what West Virginia sees in the Democratic Party, as well as they should.

Well for the gays one I don't think someone living in poverty really gives a shit if two men or women wan't to get married they're to busy trying to feed their kid . For "baby killing" that depends on what your meaning of baby is I personally think that a ban on abortion (except for the mothers life, rape, incest, and so on you've heard this all before I'm sure) should be about 24 or so weeks when the fetus can feel pain.       

5 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

The fact that you called Democrats left-wing seems a bit silly to me.

He probably meant to include Liberal republicans in that statement hence "left-wing"

14 hours ago, Reagan04 said:

But the left wing has failed West Virginia in pursuit of those values, they recognize the right wing is a better lane in which to pursue them. And of course, declaring war on coal doesn't help while being compounded by the fact you are singing kumbaya with gays and murdering a baby every 20 seconds. That is what West Virginia sees in the Democratic Party, as well as they should.

7 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

Well for the gays one I don't think someone living in poverty really gives a shit if two men or women wan't to get married they're to busy trying to feed their kid . For "baby killing" that depends on what your meaning of baby is I personally think that a ban on abortion (except for the mothers life, rape, incest, and so on you've heard this all before I'm sure) should be about 24 or so weeks when the fetus can feel pain.       

I just love how the U.S. Republican Party goes on and on about stopping the "killing of babies" and that it's one "of the most vile things to condone or allow," but American imperialist, corporatist, and military policy and activity leads to a ridiculous number of deaths of infants and pregnant, either directly, as collateral damage, or through easily prevented negligence around the world, and, in fact, many infants and pregnant women starve to death in the U.S. because of budget cuts to healthcare, rising costs of necessities, and unemployment due to corporate downsizing and mergers, cutting of government jobs, etc. The self-righteous Republican agenda has the blood of far more infant deaths, both born and unborn, on their hands than they would ever admit for their preaching of  "protecting the most vulnerable." He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones...

4 minutes ago, Patine said:

I just love how the U.S. Republican Party goes on and on about stopping the "killing of babies" and that it's one "of the most vile things to condone or allow," but American imperialist, corporatist, and military policy and activity leads to a ridiculous number of deaths of infants and pregnant, either directly, as collateral damage, or through easily prevented negligence around the world, and, in fact, many infants and pregnant women starve to death in the U.S. because of budget cuts to healthcare, rising costs of necessities, and unemployment due to corporate downsizing and mergers, cutting of government jobs, etc. The self-righteous Republican agenda has the blood of far more infant deaths, both born and unborn, on their hands than they would ever admit for their preaching of  "protecting the most vulnerable." He who lives in a glass house should not throw stones...

I think you know by now Patine those generally trolling statements don't work on me because I don't subscribe to imperialist foreign policy. You can stop with the self-righteousness. And Free Market Capitalism is the strongest force in the history of mankind for lifting folks out of poverty, it is those who wish to destroy who starve our people. Compound that with the 70 million children killed on record, much more because of lax reporting laws in the most abort happy states (New York and California), and you have a progressive genocide against the American People.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

I think you know by now Patine those generally trolling statements don't work on me because I don't subscribe to imperialist foreign policy. You can stop with the self-righteousness. And Free Market Capitalism is the strongest force in the history of mankind for lifting folks out of poverty, it is those who wish to destroy who starve our people. Compound that with the 70 million children killed on record, much more because of lax reporting laws in the most abort happy states (New York and California), and you have a progressive genocide against the American People.

Free Market Capitalism no longer exists in the world, and neither the modern Republicans nor Democrats actively support bringing it up. We have an economic system in called Corporatism, which superficially resembles Free Market Capitalism, but consolidates far power in a far smaller elite, distorts the supply-and-demand and "invisible hand" mechanisms to prevent the inevitable collapse of businesses failing to meet up to market and their replacement by businesses, but allows the artificial entrenchment by unsavoury market agreements between big corporations and even government to prevent such a natural cycle of economic turnover, start-up businesses, unless they're in niche or new fields, or often easily quashed right on the ground level by big corporations, inheritance dependence and nepotism have led to almost feudal, and often incompetent of big corporations, and big corporations are influencing and lobby government officials (read - bribing) to do corporate bidding, even over the government official's own constituents and conscience (and actions like the Citizen's United ruling - the most vile ruling to come out of the U.S. Supreme court since Dred Scott, and a few brazen laws elsewhere, like one passed in Romania two years ago to much the same extent to led to massive protests there, which effective come down to fully legalizing bribery of elected officials or those running for office). So, I hate to break it to you, but Free Market Capitalism is dead, and it died before you were born. Also, what I'm doing is not trolling. You seem to live in a deluded worldview and a very distorted bubble where manipulative people are feeding you lies to fatten you up as a good, obedient sheep. I'm trying to make points to try to poke holes in that bubble and make you see a glimpse of the world as it really is. It doesn't seem to be working thus far...

58 minutes ago, Patine said:

...You seem to live in a deluded worldview and a very distorted bubble where manipulative people are feeding you lies to fatten you up as a good, obedient sheep. I'm trying to make points to try to poke holes in that bubble and make you see a glimpse of the world as it really is. It doesn't seem to be working thus far...

Is it just me or does @Patine sound like he might have switched his occupation to deprogrammer sometime recently.

21 hours ago, WVProgressive said:

to be fair i was hoping for either a rand sanders or a trump sanders race.

3 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

to be fair i was hoping for either a rand sanders or a trump sanders race.

Rand's probably the only republican i think would be an okay president, I just wish that he didn't sellout to the more backwards elements of the party.

6 hours ago, Patine said:

Free Market Capitalism no longer exists in the world, and neither the modern Republicans nor Democrats actively support bringing it up. We have an economic system in called Corporatism, which superficially resembles Free Market Capitalism, but consolidates far power in a far smaller elite, distorts the supply-and-demand and "invisible hand" mechanisms to prevent the inevitable collapse of businesses failing to meet up to market and their replacement by businesses, but allows the artificial entrenchment by unsavoury market agreements between big corporations and even government to prevent such a natural cycle of economic turnover, start-up businesses, unless they're in niche or new fields, or often easily quashed right on the ground level by big corporations, inheritance dependence and nepotism have led to almost feudal, and often incompetent of big corporations, and big corporations are influencing and lobby government officials (read - bribing) to do corporate bidding, even over the government official's own constituents and conscience (and actions like the Citizen's United ruling - the most vile ruling to come out of the U.S. Supreme court since Dred Scott, and a few brazen laws elsewhere, like one passed in Romania two years ago to much the same extent to led to massive protests there, which effective come down to fully legalizing bribery of elected officials or those running for office). So, I hate to break it to you, but Free Market Capitalism is dead, and it died before you were born. Also, what I'm doing is not trolling. You seem to live in a deluded worldview and a very distorted bubble where manipulative people are feeding you lies to fatten you up as a good, obedient sheep. I'm trying to make points to try to poke holes in that bubble and make you see a glimpse of the world as it really is. It doesn't seem to be working thus far...

Wait, so @Patine doesn't want a government controlled by rich elitists? We finally agree on something! :P

On 12/9/2017 at 7:26 PM, ThePotatoWalrus said:

what is this i don't even

10 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

He probably meant to include Liberal republicans in that statement hence "left-wing"

Pretty sure there hasn't been a liberal Republican in the US since January 26, 1979...