270soft Forum

US 1792 Election: Final Update  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to help with any of the following?

• Play through the scenario and offer general feedback
    • Play through the episode as John Adams and as a weaker candidate to test the power/cost of ads to make sure it isn't too hard or too easy to win.
    • Help with other aspects such as double-checking information in the editor or in the .xls files, etc.
    • Sorry, I can't help with this scenario

5 minutes ago, Patine said:

I'll see how I'm feeling after work. I think I might be coming down with something (though I hope not).

I hope you feel better. 'Tis the season for influenza . 

Update:

• Adjusted campaign strengths of all the candidates. Adams and Clinton are now clearly the two frontrunners for VP, at the expense of Jefferson and Burr, who were too strong, historically speaking. 
  • Add far-left and far-right stances to the issues.
  • Set relations
  • Edited Maclay's and Hamilton's issues in accordance to the new far-left and far-right stances.
  • Reverted the money back to 2016 election standards, for the sake of economic balance in the game. 
  • Edited the ads .xls file to make them more expensive, and take longer to makes, so elections can't be won by spamming ads.

I'll work on finding more events next. After this, if @Lyly has another map similar to the 1788 map, I could then send you my file to insert that, if you wish. 

What do folks think of that map for the 1788 scenario? I don't mind feedback at all, I just wanted to be able to contribute!

I have the 1792 and 96 maps both ready. If people really like it, I can send them over for you or you can upload the scenario and I'll add in the map myself.

4 minutes ago, Lyly said:

What do folks think of that map for the 1788 scenario? I don't mind feedback at all, I just wanted to be able to contribute!

I have the 1792 and 96 maps both ready. If people really like it, I can send them over for you or you can upload the scenario and I'll add in the map myself.

I really like the map. I think it looks a lot better, much better than a map with a lot of blue space. 

Update: Added a few more events, some capturing more of the rift between Hamilton and Jefferson, as well as Washington's displeasure in Jefferson's pro-French stance. 

Update: Changed the voting population of the states without a popular vote to 100 (instead of 1) to represent the percentage of support for the state legislatures. This prevents the results from being random in these states. This was also done several updates ago for 1788. 

Tomorrow, I should have all the endorsers finished, then if Lyly can put in the new map, I can then post this update on here to be tested. 

Update: I finished adding new endorsers (about 30 or so more). Whenever @Lyly is ready, I'll upload the file on here, so he can add the map. Until then, I'll keep updating. 

@Lyly @Kingthero @michaelsdiamonds @WVProgressive here is the 1792 scenario with most of the Final Update. It still needs a new map, an update in candidate colors, updated descriptions, and perhaps minor tweaks to money/ads (although, I may have fixed them). If you plan on playing through this, I'd appreciate you playing through the latest 1788 election posted in that Final Update thread first. 

United States - 1792 12-6-17 Edit.zip

12 minutes ago, michaelsdiamonds said:

I may have to wait until Sunday for this one, but I did play through 1788 as Adams with no problems. I didn’t come close to beating Washington, to no one’s surprise!

Do you remember how the other VP candidate did? How many of the 69 EVs did you get? Was it too easy to maintain the lead? Was there ever a time when it seemed like someone could overtake you? For Adams, it should be somewhat easy, but not a cakewalk. 

I'd also appreciate it if you, or anyone else could play as George Clinton in 1788 to see if it is too easy or too hard as Clinton to remain competitive. You might only need to play two months into the election to determine this. 

Update: for 1788-1800, I'm going to change the names of the unnamed VPs (since the elections were different) to names of groups of supporters, such as "Jefferson supporters" and "Adams supporters." 

51 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Do you remember how the other VP candidate did? How many of the 69 EVs did you get? Was it too easy to maintain the lead? Was there ever a time when it seemed like someone could overtake you? For Adams, it should be somewhat easy, but not a cakewalk. 

I'd also appreciate it if you, or anyone else could play as George Clinton in 1788 to see if it is too easy or too hard as Clinton to remain competitive. You might only need to play two months into the election to determine this. 

I thought I saved a screenshot. But it seems to have not saved, so I don’t remember the exact number. I could play as Clinton as well, but it will probably be the weekend before I get too much free time.

Just now, michaelsdiamonds said:

I thought I saved a screenshot. But it seems to have not saved, so I don’t remember the exact number. I could play as Clinton as well, but it will probably be the weekend before I get too much free time.

Can you give me a guesstimate of how much you beat the competing VPs? 

Update: I will be able to post this one tomorrow (Tuesday) if I can get someone to do a playthrough (at least a month or two) as George Clinton and post their results (image or text). I just need to know if it was too easy or too hard to make any sort of promise of success within a month or two into the election. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Update: I will be able to post this one tomorrow (Tuesday) if I can get someone to do a playthrough (at least a month or two) as George Clinton and post their results (image or text). I just need to know if it was too easy or too hard to make any sort of promise of success within a month or two into the election. 

I'll try tonight, though this morning I'm feeling like crap, as I had barely any sleep last night. But if I get a nap after work, or feel a second wind, I'll definitely have a go.