270soft Forum

1992-2020 Scenarios  

18 members have voted

1. 1. The HSC has finished updated the 1992-2020 election, which will you play this week?

2. 2. A new session of the HSC will take place in 2018 to do a "final" updated to all the historical scenarios 1788-2020. How much will you be involved in updating these with me?

• Not at all
    • Very little--I might play them and offer some advice
    • I can help moderately with simple tasks that aren't too time consuming.
    • I can probably help a great deal, but I don't want to do anything too tedious.
    • I can probably help a great deal, and I'll accept something tedious like double-checking state populations, and updating them.
  3. 3. Are you more interested in the updated 2020 scenario, or 1992-2016?

The Historical Scenario Commission updates for 1992-2020 are now completed! The HSC has updated 1788-2020; thus, all of our elections are now playable with many what-if options, events, endorsers, etc. This concludes this round of updates. 

*Note: There will be one last "Final" update, which will likely take up all of 2018 to finish. This final update will go over every minute detail of these scenarios, perfecting and improving them. Your feedback will help towards this update. I hope some of you will volunteer. Only fully committed, determined forum users apply. 

@vcczar My answer for number 2 is that I can get you the regional flags after 1964 (there were still a few changes between then and now, and I would like to see all the flags harmonized as "solid" graphics, not mixed with the default flags with the thin, dark-blue strips on the top and bottom that I'm not sure why Anthony did that way. I will also continue to search for historical (and in some 21st Century Elections, updated) party icons. I can't promise much more other than advice.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

@vcczar My answer for number 2 is that I can get you the regional flags after 1964 (there were still a few changes between then and now, and I would like to see all the flags harmonized as "solid" graphics, not mixed with the default flags with the thin, dark-blue strips on the top and bottom that I'm not sure why Anthony did that way. I will also continue to search for historical (and in some 21st Century Elections, updated) party icons. I can't promise much more other than advice.

That would be good. Would you also be okay with making candidate images for some candidates if I ask you to do that, since you seem to like doing image-based help. There should be too many of these. This is mainly for images that don't portray the candidate how they might have looked in that election, or if they don't have an image, or if I create a new candidate. These aren't too time-consuming so I could do them if you can't/don't want to.  

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

That would be good. Would you also be okay with making candidate images for some candidates if I ask you to do that, since you seem to like doing image-based help. There should be too many of these. This is mainly for images that don't portray the candidate how they might have looked in that election, or if they don't have an image, or if I create a new candidate. These aren't too time-consuming so I could do them if you can't/don't want to.  

I'll say a tentative yes to the latter request, but the first two I consider a much higher priority.

I'll definitely play them when I have a chance.  Next week is finals weeks, and I have a ton of reading and studying to do before then, so my free time will be minimal until those are done.

21 hours ago, Somberg said:

If you want somebody to help get all of the turnout numbers right (more or less) for each election that it's applicable for then I'll gladly sign up. Only thing about these scenarios that has really bugged me.

I don't think turnout is really a thing in these scenarios, yet, or as far as I can tell. So I made the population equal to the historical votes for each state, and set turnout to 100% to lead to the most accurate results. I am yet to see if voter turnout is really important in these games yet. As such, I think my method (for now, at least) might be the best for historically accurate results.

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I don't think turnout is really a thing in these scenarios, yet, or as far as I can tell. So I made the population equal to the historical votes for each state, and set turnout to 100% to lead to the most accurate results. I am yet to see if voter turnout is really important in these games yet. As such, I think my method (for now, at least) might be the best for historically accurate results.

Oh, I meant the vote totals not turnout my bad. I haven't checked the updated scenarios so it's possible I missed these changes, if so then my services are unneeded.

I just quickly played through the 2020 update, and for the most part it seem good. Kasich ended up beating Trump and getting the nomination. I played as Brown, but Bernie won the nomination while Brown was his VP. I do have a couple notes: For whatever reason, Kasich had huge momentum all the way from the convention to election day. Some states he had 20+ momentum nearly the entire time. I never saw this happen in the old version. Also, I remember I asked if you a while back would add Jeff Merkley and you said you did, but he is not in the update. Anyway, Kasich ended up winning the presidency 305-233, winning popular vote as well, but only 49.3% to 49.2%. I'm gonna play through again probably after i'm done with finals and everything.

3 minutes ago, MysteryKnight said:

I just quickly played through the 2020 update, and for the most part it seem good. Kasich ended up beating Trump and getting the nomination. I played as Brown, but Bernie won the nomination while Brown was his VP. I do have a couple notes: For whatever reason, Kasich had huge momentum all the way from the convention to election day. Some states he had 20+ momentum nearly the entire time. I never saw this happen in the old version. Also, I remember I asked if you a while back would add Jeff Merkley and you said you did, but he is not in the update. Anyway, Kasich ended up winning the presidency 305-233, winning popular vote as well, but only 49.3% to 49.2%. I'm gonna play through again probably after i'm done with finals and everything.

That Kasich momentum boost is odd. I'll have to figure out why that happens. Regarding Merkley, I must have deleted the version that had him at some point. I'll readd him in a later update.