270soft Forum

2014 house election

image.thumb.png.8cba03d79a29ff0349650aad7e50330d.png

Notable oddities

John Boehner defeated. Took a lot of effort to flip my home district.

image.png.2c760017e54b7301a816851c73cd75b1.png

All Iowa Districts, Steve King included, Blue

image.png.c7bbda67fa25782315b45dcc34ff14c2.png

Lopsided Virginia

image.png.4866526d009bd6809051b65670ae8c46.png

Kansas 2-2

image.png.af0d0ecf5d0a4e8caf51f577896521b6.png

A painful election night for republicans, discuss.

What happened to Andy Harris (MD-1, oust him and I will love you for eternity) and Warren Davidson (OH-8, he was on NPR this morning bashing consumer protection law, Richard Cordray, and the CFPB)? Please say they both lost...

5 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

image.thumb.png.8cba03d79a29ff0349650aad7e50330d.png

Notable oddities

John Boehner defeated. Took a lot of effort to flip my home district.

image.png.2c760017e54b7301a816851c73cd75b1.png

All Iowa Districts, Steve King included, Blue

image.png.c7bbda67fa25782315b45dcc34ff14c2.png

Lopsided Virginia

image.png.4866526d009bd6809051b65670ae8c46.png

Kansas 2-2

image.png.af0d0ecf5d0a4e8caf51f577896521b6.png

A painful election night for republicans, discuss.

This is more like how a modern House election would look like if Congressional District gerrymandering were (rightfully and justly) illegal and unconstitutional and that was actually enforced.

45 minutes ago, Patine said:

This is more like how a modern House election would look like if Congressional District gerrymandering were (rightfully and justly) illegal and unconstitutional and that was actually enforced.

How can you say that when Republicans won the Virginia statewide vote but lost the House delegation 7-4? The House, I did the numbers, skews 4 points in favor of the Democrats and in Iowa the Republicans are shut out despite 42% of Iowans voting for them. A more balanced House would have 235 Democrats, but I of course don't believe in this system of governance, it is just the one you proposed.

3 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

How can you say that when Republicans won the Virginia statewide vote but lost the House delegation 7-4? The House, I did the numbers, skews 4 points in favor of the Democrats and in Iowa the Republicans are shut out despite 42% of Iowans voting for them. A more balanced House would have 235 Democrats, but I of course don't believe in this system of governance, it is just the one you proposed.

See this is why I love the German government system. Regardless if the Dems won the seats, but the GoP won the popular vote, or vice versa, the make up of the House does not reflect the overall preferences from the voters. 

21 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I was speaking in broad terms and thematic viewpoint, not specific numbers here. But, the legal ability of State Governments to knowingly and deliberately gerrymander and manipulate the borders of Congressional Districts in their own State for purely partisan gain is a travesty and injustice, a blatant form of corruption and abuse of political power, and I'm very disappointed that someone of your moral principals is defending it... :(

On 11/28/2017 at 2:59 PM, Bruce Fischer said:

What happened to Andy Harris (MD-1, oust him and I will love you for eternity) and Warren Davidson (OH-8, he was on NPR this morning bashing consumer protection law, Richard Cordray, and the CFPB)? Please say they both lost...

This is '14, Davidson isn't in yet. Hest the $#@! Who replaced Boehner in my district. Hate him. He treated the workers in my store like shit, and we don't forget. And Harris won 66.7% to 33.3, and was never really targeted because he held such a lead. My condolences, America.