270soft Forum

West Wing Election 2006

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as senarios and whatnot- an interesting tid bit I found:

<<Febuary 7, 2005 - "jmhardin" posted on Television Without Pity's West Wing forum a link to Reuters: NBC's 'West Wing' Election Is Up for Grabs by Steve Gorman:

...the executive producer of "The West Wing" swears he has no idea whether a Democrat or Republican will be elected the show's next president....

Wells says the show's next occupant of the Oval Office, succeeding current star Martin Sheen, will be determined by which character the writers ultimately feel is the "most compelling" to the audience...

Producers plan to return in the fall with the election, followed by the inauguration of a new president -- Smits or Alda -- next winter. Sheen will stay on into next season, but his profile will diminish as Bartlet returns to private life....

Both characters are endowed with a manifest integrity and thoughtfulness widely seen as rare inside the Beltway -- on either side of the aisle -- in keeping with "The West Wing's" enduring appeal as a show about wish fulfillment....

Likewise, Wells dismissed what he called misconception about the show -- that its audience is overwhelmingly Democratic and agrees with Bartlet's politics.

"That's actually not true, and I can prove it by our mail bag ever week," he said. "We have a very, very large Republican audience that loves to watch the show and throw things at the screen." >>

My guess is it's going to go to Alan Alda because they have the plot set up for Bartlet's current staff to ditch Hayes. Sorkin's been wanting to write Alda in for a while now, and since it's time to give the Republicans a go I'm putting my money on his character, Vinick.

Hope that helps some.