270soft Forum

Current events poll #1

Current events poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Would your opinions of John Kasich improve if he left the party, as he said he might do if the "GOP Cannot be fixed?"

• Yes, it would improve
    • My opinion would stay about the same.
    • No, I'd think less of him
  2. 2. John Kasich in a recent interview listed several problems that needed to be fixed in the GOP. Which of these do you agree are components of the GOP?

• Anti-immigrant
    • Anti-trade
    • Not worried about the debt
    • I don't think the GOP is anti-immigrant, anti-trade, or not worried about the debt; John Kasich is just trying to sabotage Trump and/or get in the news
  3. 3. Do you approve of Donald Trump's handling of Puerto Rico in the aftermath of the major hurricane?

• Yes, very much. He has exceeded expectations, handling the situation with executive mastery.
    • Yes, he is doing what is expected of a president in handling a critical emergency with a US Territory composed of US Citizens; the media and mayor of San Juan are blowing this out of proportion
    • I don't know/I don't care.
    • No, he is not handling this with the same care and urgency as he did with Florida and Texas, possibly because Puerto Rico won't give him electoral votes in 2020.
    • No, and this is potentially worse than Bush's Katrina. He is slow-moving and reverting to insulting the territory and its leaders, rather than making the emergency a top priority. People are dying.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

"Executive mastery," @Reagan04? Not a term I've ever associated with anything Donald Trump has done. I think it was a "polling trap" option, as some call it, @vcczar put in there deliberately, and you fell for it lock, stock, and barrel. :P

I think vcczar is the best at creating biased polls there ever was. I didn't fall for anything good sir!

13 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I think vcczar is the best at creating biased polls there ever was. I didn't fall for anything good sir!

You're gaining more skills in classical, old-style "politician's answers." That's a definite observation... :P

1 minute ago, Patine said:

You're gaining more skills in classical, old-style "politician's answers." That's a definite observation... :P

I certainly try.:P

10 hours ago, vcczar said:

new poll

I think a more honest and genuine statement for answer #4 on question #2 would be, "The anti-immingrant and anti-trade stances, and lack of priority to immmediately pay down the debt or reign in the budget supporting GOP priorities of the modern GOP does not bother me and I still support the party and may even support it more because of this."

It's kind of a weird place right now. I don't know if the changes to the party's orthodoxy that Trump represents are here for the long-term. What Kasich considers "problems" are exactly the changes that drew many who either formerly were Dems (I fall into this category) or had not voted in a long time to vote for the ticket.

I certainly understand the frustration of Kasich and others. It seems to them that their movement has been hijacked by a bunch of populist/nationalist demagogues, and they didn't necessarily need to make a deal to win the White House (perhaps it takes longer, but they put in the work at the organizational level). Is this realignment (if you believe that realignments do exist), or is it possible to build a coalition?

I think it's difficult to compromise. Trump isn't a pure populist, but a lot of he new voters he brought in don't have a ton in common with Kasich's interests. Policy that one group is interested in might contradict the other group's beliefs.