270soft Forum

Henry Bolton elected UKIP leader.

There have been rumors that Nigel was working behind the scenes in favor of Bolton which would help explain the shock result.

On the point of Nigel returning, I don't think this rules it out.  But, he won't be starting a separate political party which probably would have happened if Waters won the leadership election.  I have a feeling that Nigel isn't going to be happy with the negotiations and will come back.

9 hours ago, lizarraba said:

The faragist Bolton hace won over the islamophobe.

Nigel wont return.

Is the term "Faragist" a real term in use in British parlance, or is it your own invention? If the former, I could anti-UKIP British media and commentators altering it to the very similarly-spelt and older Nationalist movement in Spain about 80 years ago, the Falangists, as a way of discrediting them by turn of phrase, which the more subtle British press (at least compared to their American counterparts) so love to do.

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

And, BTW, I didn't choose this avatar. @admin_270, what's happening here?

It seems to be part of the redesign of the forum. Reminds me of on youtube when people haven't chosen their avatars they get a generic one with the first initial of their username.

8 minutes ago, SiorafasNaCillini said:

It seems to be part of the redesign of the forum. Reminds me of on youtube when people haven't chosen their avatars they get a generic one with the first initial of their username.

Has YouTube bought out ipbhost?

Good and dangerous former Liberal Democrat for the Conservative party that could take back votes.

Nigel putted a good man if he did.

The Libdems are screwed since they sacrified their very good and charismatic leader, Tim Farron over doubts about his religious beliefs.

Seriously everyone thought he was homophobe just because he voted abstention on the same sex bill and voted 2 times in favor before the third lecture, and because he said that everyone was a sinner according to his beliefs.

I am atheist but I do not consider Tim was homophobe at all, in more I am gay and I if I got some doubts about him in the first days of his leadership victory 2 years ago I never did during the election campain, they tried to kill him because he was not enough progressist for his party, now they have the old grandfatha that cannot conVINCE more than few bankers in the City.

Sorry for the small deturnment :p.

4 minutes ago, Sami said:

Good and dangerous former Liberal Democrat for the Conservative party that could take back votes.

Nigel putted a good man if he did.

The Libdems are screwed since they sacrified their very good and charismatic leader, Tim Farron over doubts about his religious beliefs.

Seriously everyone thought he was homophobe just because he voted abstention on the same sex bill and voted 2 times in favor before the third lecture, and because he said that everyone was a sinner according to his beliefs.

I am atheist but I do not consider Tim was homophobe at all, in more I am gay and I if I got some doubts about him in the first days of his leadership victory 2 years ago I never did during the election campain, they tried to kill him because he was not enough progressist for his party, now they have the old grandfatha that cannot conVINCE more than few bankers in the City.

Sorry for the small deturnment :p.

Technically, in Christian doctrine, every mortal person of flesh and blood is unavoidably a sinner, born with a sin nature. That's why Christians pray for forgiveness and repent their sins. They aren't sinless because they're Christian, and can't possibly live sinless lives. But I digress...

3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Technically, in Christian doctrine, every mortal person of flesh and blood is unavoidably a sinner, born with a sin nature. That's why Christians pray for forgiveness and repent their sins. They aren't sinless because they're Christian, and can't possibly live sinless lives. But I digress...

Yes I did not say it but you completed that's perfect :p.

I am much more progressist than Tim but I hate the kind of trials which are made, I do not like Farage cause I am a kind of Blair/Kennedy supporter half Labour half Libdem but I clearly think he truly wanted to destroy the EU and has its own way to think independently of Trump.

However I would have loved that he renounces to his European fund of retreat as MP, now UKIP for me is like the Independentist Party after a victory, they loosed their reason to exist.

But they will stay usefull maybe for UK untill the exit.

3 hours ago, Sami said:

However I would have loved that he renounces to his European fund of retreat as MP, now UKIP for me is like the Independentist Party after a victory, they loosed their reason to exist.

But they will stay usefull maybe for UK untill the exit.

Brexit hasn't been completed, and we have seen Theresa May backsliding already (with a proposed transition period as well as a payment to leave).  UKIP will remain relevant until they actually leave.  Then, we'll have to see if they transition into something else or are mostly absorbed into the Tory ranks.

As to Farage's pension, why should he give it up?

6 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Brexit hasn't been completed, and we have seen Theresa May backsliding already (with a proposed transition period as well as a payment to leave).  UKIP will remain relevant until they actually leave.  Then, we'll have to see if they transition into something else or are mostly absorbed into the Tory ranks.

As to Farage's pension, why should he give it up?

Because for me but it is a personnal point of view if he hated the EU so much that is strange that he accepts to live thanks to his EU MP pension.

I told it stays this untill the exit but the party will have hard time since the positive answer in June 2016.

6 hours ago, Sami said:

Because for me but it is a personnal point of view if he hated the EU so much that is strange that he accepts to live thanks to his EU MP pension.

I told it stays this untill the exit but the party will have hard time since the positive answer in June 2016.

He took a job in the EU so he could fight against the EU (working to undermine it from the inside).  He did the job, so he is fully entitled to the benefits of his position.  He and his family have suffered because of his work due to vicious attacks against him.  It is unreasonable to demand that he gives up his pension.

I agree that the party might have difficulty especially if a pro-Brexit PM takes over the government and Conservative Party.  But, if May goes through with a transition period (which would kick the can down the road until after the next election) and a leave bill, then UKIP would have a large base of voters that they could pick up (including those who they got in 2015 under Nigel).

I think that having someone who has said the effectiveness of policies is more important than their ideological positions is great. It certainly beats Waters, who's anti-Islam sentiment would certainly influence the direction of the party.

On an unrelated note, that new logo is terrible. Part Premier League, part Britain First. I think the pound sign logo should have stayed!

5 minutes ago, LegolasRedbard said:

I think that having someone who has said the effectiveness of policies is more important than their ideological positions is great. It certainly beats Waters, who's anti-Islam sentiment would certainly influence the direction of the party.

On an unrelated note, that new logo is terrible. Part Premier League, part Britain First. I think the pound sign logo should have stayed!

I like how he has already announced his support for an Australian points system rather than a goal of 0 net immigration that Nuttall was pursuing.

I don't the new logo is terrible, but I do agree that the pound symbol was better.

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

I like how he has already announced his support for an Australian points system rather than a goal of 0 net immigration that Nuttall was pursuing.

I don't the new logo is terrible, but I do agree that the pound symbol was better.

I don't know about a points or quota system. It sounds so bureaucratic, artificial, and "Prussian-like" and completely lacking the ability for true discretion and practicality for individual cirumstances within the even the proposed pupose. Like a system a quasi-dystopian, near-future science-fiction government would adopt and become infamous for.

21 hours ago, Patine said:

I don't know about a points or quota system. It sounds so bureaucratic, artificial, and "Prussian-like" and completely lacking the ability for true discretion and practicality for individual cirumstances within the even the proposed pupose. Like a system a quasi-dystopian, near-future science-fiction government would adopt and become infamous for.

It allows a country to prioritize immigrants that would be of the most use to the country.  If there is a specific sector needing more immigrants, then that sector would get more weight.  If there is a target pay range, then that range would get more weight.  It allows the country to better evaluate those who come in and make immigration fit the needs of the country.

1 minute ago, jvikings1 said:

It allows a country to prioritize immigrants that would be of the most use to the country.  If there is a specific sector needing more immigrants, then that sector would get more weight.  If there is a target pay range, then that range would get more weight.  It allows the country to better evaluate those who come in and make immigration fit the needs of the country.

What about certain cases generally outside that scheme. Like a citizen marrying a foreign national? My sister-in-law from Mexico took three years to get her citizenship because of the disjointed, reactionary, and wonky immigration system in place when Harper was PM here, whereas my nephew (her and my bother's son) was born a citizen.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

What about certain cases generally outside that scheme. Like a citizen marrying a foreign national? My sister-in-law from Mexico took three years to get her citizenship because of the disjointed, reactionary, and wonky immigration system in place when Harper was PM here, whereas my nephew (her and my bother's son) was born a citizen.

There could be some emphasis on that point, but there are other factors that must be considered.  One of the big flaws in the US immigration system is the overemphasis on family in the US.  If you have a family member in the US, you can easily hop over people who do not have one in the US.  This makes it extremely difficult for someone who doesn't have any family to immigrate even if they are the best candidate for immigration.

1 minute ago, jvikings1 said:

There could be some emphasis on that point, but there are other factors that must be considered.  One of the big flaws in the US immigration system is the overemphasis on family in the US.  If you have a family member in the US, you can easily hop over people who do not have one in the US.  This makes it extremely difficult for someone who doesn't have any family to immigrate even if they are the best candidate for immigration.

And wouldn't a man like Trump himself be in quite the pickle of integrity issues and hypocrisy if he turned his hardening immigration policies against immigration by marrying American citizens, as an example. :P

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

And wouldn't a man like Trump himself be in quite the pickle of integrity issues and hypocrisy if he turned his hardening immigration policies against immigration by marrying American citizens, as an example. :P

Trump is against illegals and for responsible immigration.  He has every right to marry someone from whichever country.  It gets tiring of seeing valid opinions with the goal of enforcing the law being labeled as anti-immigrant.

Just now, jvikings1 said:

Trump is against illegals and for responsible immigration.  He has every right to marry someone from whichever country.  It gets tiring of seeing valid opinions with the goal of enforcing the law being labeled as anti-immigrant.

To be fair, Trump gives a lot of mixed and contradictary messages. It's not easy at any one point to say what his actual agenda or goals are.