270soft Forum

California Prop 187

So I found by County results for this and hope to make this soon as it was a significant referendum in U.S history.

My planned scenarios for the coming year (not promising anything)

Most likely

-California Prop 187

-NY State Senate 2016 (will need post-election negotiations for CI before I can do this)

-NYC City Council 2017

Maybe,depends how much time I have

- NYC Mayor 2017 (Once conditional running is added I can finish off a mostly accurate campaign started by JNewt. It won't be fully accurate until there's run-off Popular vote primaries)

- NY Governor 2002

- US Senate 1970 NY seat

-Vermont Governor 2014

5 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

So I found by County results for this and hope to make this soon as it was a significant referendum in U.S history.

My planned scenarios for the coming year (not promising anything)

Most likely

-California Prop 187

-NY State Senate 2016 (will need post-election negotiations for CI before I can do this)

-NYC City Council 2017

Maybe,depends how much time I have

- NYC Mayor 2017 (Once conditional running is added I can finish off a mostly accurate campaign started by JNewt. It won't be fully accurate until there's run-off Popular vote primaries)

- NY Governor 2002

- US Senate 1970 NY seat

-Vermont Governor 2014

Some of the others look interesting, but, as I've stated, though not condemning the idea itself objectiively or excoriating people for liking it themselves (that would be petty and immature), I myself tend not to prefer referendum scenarios of any real stripe myself, in terms of my own personal interest, as I've mentioned before. Also, I've tended to move toward (and favouring seeing, again personally) doing the U.S. Senate elections in all Senate seats up for that year in a single CI election. The rest all sound quite interesting, though.

4 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

@Patine As you were talking about your dislike of referendum scenarios how do you feel about the Quebec one recently uploaded by someone else.

Much the same, as a TheorySpark scenario. I still remember when it was actually going on though. The news coverage across Canada was very intense at the time, and Jacque Parizeau, the PQ Premier of Quebec was so confident of victory that (like Romney in 2012) had no concession speech prepared to read. In Parizeau's case, he made a drunken rant after the results came in to his supporters, and promptly resigned as Premier the next day. Lucien Bouchard, the leader of the BQ, the Federal analog party, carried on leadership a bit longer, but eventually took the reigns of Premier after Parizeau's short-serving successor also resign (or was pressured out, I can't remember which), and Gille Duceppe took over the Federal BQ. A very momentous part of Canadian political history (along with the Charlottetown Accord Referendum and the original Quebec independence referendum in 1975, and the referendum where the previously seperate Dominion of Newfoundland within the British Empire voted to join Canadian Confederation in 1948). Still, I'm not a fan of TheorySpark scenarios based on referenda or plebiscites personally.