270soft Forum

Successful President Poll

Who has been the Most Successful President in implementing their campaign platform? **This is not a poll about liking/disliking a platform or president**  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who has been more successful in implementing their campaign platform?

• Donald Trump (you can project how the rest of his term will go)
    • Barack Obama
    • George W. Bush
  2. 2. Who has been the least successful in implementing their campaign platform?

• Donald Trump (you can project how the rest of his term will go)
    • Barack Obama
    • George W. Bush
  3. 3. What makes a successful president? ***PLEASE PICK NO MORE THAN FIVE***

• Implementing campaign platform/fulfilling campaign promises
    • Getting reelected and/or having a party-member/successor follow you into office after your term(s)
    • Avoiding going into war
    • Avoiding or improving a dire economic situation
    • Improving Civil Liberties
    • Strengthen Civil Rights protections
    • Increasing profits for corporations and big businesses
    • Increasing wages and quality of life for wage workers
    • Winning a war
    • Increasing a sense of nationalism
    • Increasing the Merger of religion into government
    • Increasing the power and influence of established Americans over immigrants, and 2nd or 3rd generation Americans.
    • Keeping America pure in the traditions of 1776, values, ways of life, etc.
    • Preserving and defending the Constitution
    • Decreasing or eliminating the National Debt
    • Massively investing in and improving science, medical, technology for the betterment of the human species.
    • Increasing our defense capabilities
    • Improving relations with world leaders and their people.
    • Being an active president, signing and executing more actions than other presidents.
    • Other (list below)

17 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

In addition, I would like a president who's not CONSTANTLY tweet attacking everyone.

Twitter and Facebook should be shut down. I know there's no legal or constitutional justification to do so, but I feel these sites are evil, and engines and leaping boards for worse evil in the future.

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

Twitter and Facebook should be shut down. I know there's no legal or constitutional justification to do so, but I feel these sites are evil, and engines and leaping boards for worse evil in the future.

I wouldn't go to that extreme, there's a lot of good that comes out of these sites as well--informing people of charities, donations, services, and other great goods. I think perhaps politicians could be barred from using it as a means promoting their campaign, perhaps, but that's about as close to a shut down as I'd get. 

19 hours ago, Patine said:

On that basis YouTube should be banned on pain of death.

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎27 at 6:06 AM, vcczar said:

New poll

I believe, being objective here and not erring on opinions about his actual platform (which I dislike myself), Bush was actually the most successful of the three at implementing his platform. Let's call a spade a spade, even if many on those on this forum (even many who favour, or recently did, Republican ideology in general tend to dislike Bush and his agendas nowadays - I'm certainly a fan). I'm just not certain enough whether Obama or my my projection of Trump will end being the less successful to make a firm vote there yet.

1 hour ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

1. Trump
2. Bush
3. All but increasing nationalism and winning wars.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

I believe, being objective here and not erring on opinions about his actual platform (which I dislike myself), Bush was actually the most successful of the three at implementing his platform. Let's call a spade a spade, even if many on those on this forum (even many who favour, or recently did, Republican ideology in general tend to dislike Bush and his agendas nowadays - I'm certainly a fan). I'm just not certain enough whether Obama or my my projection of Trump will end being the less successful to make a firm vote there yet.

I was really divided over Bush or Obama in the first one. Bush had the highest veto override rate of anyone other than Andrew Johnson, which is something I factored in for my decision. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

I was really divided over Bush or Obama in the first one. Bush had the highest veto override rate of anyone other than Andrew Johnson, which is something I factored in for my decision. 

But, despite being recriminated (and justly so) for them in retrospect, he got bipartisan and popular at the time (using a knee-jerk reaction and fear-driven zeitgeist) to invade a nation that no foreign army had ever had total victory on it's soil since Alexander the Great's Bactria Campaign (Afghanistan), and which another Superpower, the USSR, had just suffered a decade-long Vietnam-esque grind and bog of a war in recent memory there between 1979 and 1989, as well as for (out of the same sentiment) got the same bipartisan and popular support at the time for passing the Patriot Act, and act that was the most blatant violation of U.S. Constitutional rights and freedoms since the Red Scare, and he got support (albeit a bit diminished) to invade Iraq based on what were later revealed to be lies and misinformation to Congress and was mostly to enrich resouce and contracting owned by friends and allies. As dispicable, immoral, manipulative, and deceitful as this all was, it does indicate getting big things done the like that have eluded Obama or thus far Trump, to play the "Devil's Advocate," if you will.

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

But, despite being recriminated (and justly so) for them in retrospect, he got bipartisan and popular at the time (using a knee-jerk reaction and fear-driven zeitgeist) to invade a nation that no foreign army had ever had total victory on it's soil since Alexander the Great's Bactria Campaign (Afghanistan), and which another Superpower, the USSR, had just suffered a decade-long Vietnam-esque grind and bog of a war in recent memory there between 1979 and 1989, as well as for (out of the same sentiment) got the same bipartisan and popular support at the time for passing the Patriot Act, and act that was the most blatant violation of U.S. Constitutional rights and freedoms since the Red Scare, and he got support (albeit a bit diminished) to invade Iraq based on what were later revealed to be lies and misinformation to Congress and was mostly to enrich resouce and contracting owned by friends and allies. As dispicable, immoral, manipulative, and deceitful as this all was, it does indicate getting big things done the like that have eluded Obama or thus far Trump, to play the "Devil's Advocate," if you will.

To strengthen your argument, several historians have said that Obama faced the most hostile Congress for any president since Andrew Johnson. Siena, which ranked Obama as a top 15 president of all time (#12, I think), did rank him near the bottom for "Relations with Congress" even.