270soft Forum

Politicians you've met

2 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Of course not, he has a loving wife and 2 adoring children, this was nothing more than a staffing mistake, those who think it is more than that WANT it to be more than that.

Al Capone also had a loving wife and 2 adoring children. That status has no bearing to any other aspect of a man's life, achievements, beliefs, or dark secrets or skeletons in his closet, in truth.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Patine said:

Al Capone also had a loving wife and 2 adoring children. That status has no bearing to any other aspect of a man's life, achievements, beliefs, or dark secrets or skeletons in his closet, in truth.

Al Capone was also a gangster with a record of nastiness, Ted is not.

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Ted Cruz was the strongest defender of the true Jewish community running, and it's not hard to hide that New York is a VERY Liberal state.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

Ted Cruz was the strongest defender of the true Jewish community running, and it's not hard to hide that New York is a VERY Liberal state.

I was referring to his obnoxious "New York values" comment not the anti-semitism accusation.

New York isn't quite as liberal as it appears on the outside

Image result for drop dead ted

11 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I was referring to his obnoxious "New York values" comment not the anti-semitism accusation.

New York isn't quite as liberal as it appears on the outside

Image result for drop dead ted

Yeah one tabloid that is read by 12 people is less telling than the NYT. No, New York is one of the most Liberal States in the nation.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

Yeah one tabloid that is read by 12 people is less telling than the NYT. 

My family is subscribed to it.

207,680 people are subscribed for the daily edition that doesn't include all the people who buy it at the subways.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

207,680 people are subscribed for the daily edition that doesn't include all the people who buy it at the subways.

To put 208,000 in perspective, last quarter NYT Online gained just 308,000 subscribers. That is just one quarter's growth ONLINE. Compare that to the 2.2 million online subscribers, and of course the material subscribers and the people who buy it on the subway.

Just now, Reagan04 said:

To put 208,000 in perspective, last quarter NYT Online gained just 308,000 subscribers. That is just one quarter's growth ONLINE. Compare that to the 2.2 million online subscribers, and of course the material subscribers and the people who buy it on the subway.

Because all the coffee shops put it at the top of the Newspaper selling area so people will instinctively grab it. By Daily edition I referred to the print copy. NYT online's Subs likely come from all over the U.S and not just the City.

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Because all the coffee shops put it at the top of the Newspaper selling area so people will instinctively grab it. By Daily edition I referred to the print copy. NYT online's Subs likely come from all over the U.S and not just the City.

It still represents its strength.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Yes and the Daily News just covers New York (and some close states) so any comparison between the two will be extremely biased.

Either way I think you'd cede that the NYT is more widely read in NY than the DN.

11 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Yeah one tabloid that is read by 12 people is less telling than the NYT. No, New York is one of the most Liberal States in the nation.

8 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I really, REALLY wish we could, as a whole global civilization, move beyond these stupid, stereotyped, unproductive, restrictive, artificial, useless, and ultimately destructive labels of "liberal" and "conservative," especially how they're used today, and move toward governance that is based on what's best for the people, nation, and economy in question at any given time without such ridiculous baggage always being attached and of central and importance, even to the point of internal government self-sabotage for the sake of ideological purity.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

I really, REALLY wish we could, as a whole global civilization, move beyond these stupid, stereotyped, unproductive, restrictive, artificial, useless, and ultimately destructive labels of "liberal" and "conservative," especially how they're used today, and move toward governance that is based on what's best for the people, nation, and economy in question at any given time without such ridiculous baggage always being attached and of central and importance, even to the point of internal government self-sabotage for the sake of ideological purity.

Good Lord Patine, we get it, you deplore Liberal and Conservative, but for a casual political conversation, we really don't need to analyze every word and its meaning down to the 15th-century root. The Left/Liberal and Right/Conservative label are ok to use in this context because we both understand what they mean to us and this isn't exactly an intellectually rigorous debate on political philosophy. 

5 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Good Lord Patine, we get it, you deplore Liberal and Conservative, but for a casual political conversation, we really don't need to analyze every word and its meaning down to the 15th-century root. The Left/Liberal and Right/Conservative label are ok to use in this context because we both understand what they mean to us and this isn't exactly an intellectually rigorous debate on political philosophy. 

Sir Winston S. Churchill believed (and I agree with this point) that the best way to get a message across was repetition - that relying on single memorable quotes and 'zingers,' as other political orators liked to use extensively, was insufficient.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Sir Winston S. Churchill believed (and I agree with this point) that the best way to get a message across was repetition - that relying on single memorable quotes and 'zingers,' as other political orators liked to use extensively, was insufficient.

Ok that's fine, I get the point but you don't have to keep coming up in here to scrutinize what terminology we use.

1 minute ago, Reagan04 said:

Ok that's fine, I get the point but you don't have to keep coming up in here to scrutinize what terminology we use.

Let me ask a hypothetical question. How would you react if a hypothetical new poster came on and talked as if the selling of Papal indulgences, Inquisitorial torture, Papal interdicts of cities and nations, mandatory tithing, and other old, long-abandoned practices were still modern, current, and common practice in the present day Roman Catholic Church, and inserted these claims into numerous thread conversations, and ignored several gentle corrections? What would be your hypothetical response?

Just now, NYrepublican said:

Well, in the day, it was more extreme. Like the Medici family being given an "eternal forgiveness" for all usury in exchange for being the Vatican's favoured bankers (and to undercut the power of Jewish bankers) and Michaelangelo being forgiven of all of his pedafiliac sins for his work on the Sistine Chapel, etc., is more what I'm referring to.

Just now, Patine said:

Well, in the day, it was more extreme. Like the Medici family being given an "eternal forgiveness" for all usury in exchange for being the Vatican's favoured bankers (and to undercut the power of Jewish bankers) and Michaelangelo being forgiven of all of his pedafiliac sins for his work on the Sistine Chapel, etc., is more what I'm referring to.

IK I was referring to it as an example of a story one of those folks might cite.