270soft Forum

What are your basic political belifs.

Tax cuts generated at least that much in economic activity.

No, not really. They may help, but having good public infrastructures that allow to lower the costs of production, social services that allows companies to avoid having to pay costly social advantages are more vital to a good economy than the tax cuts that can be generated without destroying these two previous advantages.

No, not really. They may help, but having good public infrastructures that allow to lower the costs of production, social services that allows companies to avoid having to pay costly social advantages are more vital to a good economy than the tax cuts that can be generated without destroying these two previous advantages.

Except that the Ontario tax cuts stimulated so much economic activity that tax revenue was higher after the cuts than it was before. Social spending (health and education) was increased significantly.

Nope, you are confusing cause and effect. The cause was a strong economy that allowed tax cuts without lowering revenue since inflation and economic growth increased revenues more than taxes were lowered by.

Wrong Simon, the economic growth generated by the tax cuts exceeded inflation and exceeded the economic decline that Ontario was experiencing prior to the cuts taking place. The growth was fueled by the tax cuts.

The only time under Harris that Ontario had better economic growth than in 1994 under Rae was 1999. It seems that Rae's economic policy were actually starting to work before Harris came in with another economic policy altogether.

You neglected to metion that in 4 of the 5 years during Rae's term economic growth was flat or in serious decline. You also failed to mention that over Harri's terms total economic growth was FAR higher than the over Rae's single term. Even if tyou take the lowest 5 years under Mike Harris, the total is far better than all of Rae's 5 years. You also neglect to mention that 1994 came on the recovery from a recession (which was made far worse by Rae's disasterous policies) and that growth during the first half of 1995 (when Rae was still around) was way down.

I suggest that you stick to topics that you actually understand. Clearly you know little or nothing about Ontario and Ontario politics.

You neglected to metion that in 4 of the 5 years during Rae's term economic growth was flat or in serious decline.

Nope, it declined in 1990 (took power in October I think) and in 1991, climbed until 1994, then 1995 (when he left power) was a rather poor year.

You also failed to mention that over Harri's terms total economic growth was FAR higher than the over Rae's single term.

Harris took power in what is one of the most prosperous times of the 20th century, Rae took power in a recession that was probably the second worst of the 20th century, second only to the 1929 Krach and its aftermath. Comparing their quality as economic administrators is like comparing apples and oranges.

Nope, it declined in 1990 (took power in October I think) and in 1991, climbed until 1994, then 1995 (when he left power) was a rather poor year.

Harris took power in what is one of the most prosperous times of the 20th century, Rae took power in a recession that was probably the second worst of the 20th century, second only to the 1929 Krach and its aftermath. Comparing their quality as economic administrators is like comparing apples and oranges.

Simon, your own charts contradict that claim.

The fact is that while the recession was bad, poor management and bad decision making by the NDP government made it far worse for Ontarians. You don't live here, you didn't live through the Rae and Harris years. I did. I liked the Harris years a hell of a lot better than I liked the Rae years. I did a hell of a lot better during the Harris years financially and in business too.

Never smoked of my life, nor taken any drugs. Except perhaps for beer, but never more than a glass a day. It'S you who should take off you partisan eyeglasses once in a while.

I'm sorry, but do you really think you're any less partisan than he is? I don't really turn to either of you for objective analysis.