270soft Forum

Road to WW2 series.

So I was thinking about doing a road to WW2 series.

So far on the commission is: @NYrepublican (me) @Sami @lizarraba @Patine @victorraiders @SeanFKennedy If you want to join post here.

The elections covered will be

-German Federal election,March 1933

-German Federal election,November 1932

-German Federal election,July 1932

-German Federal election,1930

-German Presidential election,1932

-UK General election,1935

-French Legislative election, 1936

-Italian General election, 1924 (last free italian election)

-Spanish General election, 1936

-Japanese General election, 1937

-@vcczar's 1936 US presidential election.

-Czechoslovakia 1935

-Austria 1930

-Yugoslavia 1935

-Hungary 1939

-Bulgaria 1939

-Romania 1939

-Poland 1930

I can try working on the 1935 UK Election. It would be after I finish updating my 2018 Ohio Governor election. 

@Conservative Elector 2 might be able to help with the Austrian election.

Hungary 1935 and 1959 would fit, but this would require multi-member constituencies.  Romania 1937 would also fit.

Belgium 1936 and 1939 as they saw the rise of parties on the extremes (fascists and communists).

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

Hungary 1935 and 1959 would fit, but this would require multi-member constituencies.  Romania 1937 would also fit.

Belgium 1936 and 1939 as they saw the rise of parties on the extremes (fascists and communists).

I believe there were, now that I think of it, a Dutch, Danish, and Norwiegan election each in the late 1930's that had a virtual Nazi analog run and get one or more seats (I believe such groups were handed proxy power, in fact, in the Netherlands and Denmark, after they fell to German invasion like similar groups were in Slovakia, Croatia, Greece, Vichy France, and Belarus, and, much later, Serbia and Hungary).

9 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

What?

10 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

So I was thinking about doing a road to WW2 series.

So far on the commission is: @NYrepublican (me) @lizarraba @Patine @victorraiders @SeanFKennedy If you want to join post here.

The elections covered will be

-German Federal election,March 1933

-German Federal election,November 1932

-German Federal election,July 1932

-German Federal election,1930

-UK General election,1935

-French Legislative election, 1936

-Italian General election, 1924 (last free italian election)

-Spanish General election, 1936

-Japanese General election, 1937

-@vcczar's 1936 US presidential election.

-Czechoslovakia 1935

-Austria 1930

-Yugoslavia 1935

-Hungary 1939

-Bulgaria 1939

-Romania 1939

-Poland 1930

yes by the eay is pr voting thing ready?

1 hour ago, NYrepublican said:

What?

1939... my mistake

9 hours ago, Patine said:

I believe there were, now that I think of it, a Dutch, Danish, and Norwiegan election each in the late 1930's that had a virtual Nazi analog run and get one or more seats (I believe such groups were handed proxy power, in fact, in the Netherlands and Denmark, after they fell to German invasion like similar groups were in Slovakia, Croatia, Greece, Vichy France, and Belarus, and, much later, Serbia and Hungary).

I know that the Netherlands and Denmark had parties tied to the Nazis.  I'm not sure about Norway, but that is something a quick Wikipedia search would fix.

6 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

1939... my mistake

I know that the Netherlands and Denmark had parties tied to the Nazis.  I'm not sure about Norway, but that is something a quick Wikipedia search would fix.

The Norway one wasn't called a Nazi Party in name or direct symbolism, but they were very sympathetic to the Nazis. They were called Sturmfront, I think (where the modern alt-right, neo-Nazi website gets their name, if I'm not mistaken). The infamous Quisling Vidkun was their leader, in fact.

I could help with the French Election as French but it would be quite a loooonnng work :p.

If needed I could join informations, the facists were never enough organised to form a party which could take power or have real seats in the parliament of the Third Republic.

In more we had a looooooooooooooooooot of useless parties which would be gladly more difficult to code :p, but interesting to play (excepted if we put a Left and a Right Side).

I would advise to code also the 1945 French Election, because it was totally proportionnal and because the Communists were really strong in France:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Élections_législatives_françaises_de_1945

The Right was almost killed due to the vote they made for the Marshal Philippe Pétain in 1940 and even more due to some great of its former faces like the former President of the Council Pierre Laval who played an important role in the French Right of the 30's...before to be assimilated to the "Rafle du Vel d'Hiv" as a collaborator some years after.

I am just ashamed to realize that there were as many as french who voted in 1945 as number than in our last 2017 legislative Election ^^.

7 minutes ago, Sami said:

I could help with the French Election as French but it would be quite a loooonnng work :p.

If needed I could join informations, the facists were never enough organised to form a party which could take power or have real seats in the parliament of the Third Republic.

In more we had a looooooooooooooooooot of useless parties which would be gladly more difficult to code :p, but interesting to play (excepted if we put a Left and a Right Side).

I would advise to code also the 1945 French Election, because it was totally proportionnal and because the Communists were really strong in France:

The Right was almost killed due to the vote they made for the Marshal Philippe Pétain in 1940 and even more due to some great of its former faces like the former President of the Council Pierre Laval who played an important role in the French Right of the 30's...before to be assimilated to the "Rafle du Vel d'Hiv" as a collaborator some years after.

I am just ashamed to realize that there were as many as french who voted in 1945 as number than in our last 2017 legislative Election ^^.

Although, I know in the Third Republic, the President was a ceremonial, symbolic figurehead elected by Parliament like the modern German, Italian, Hungarian, Greek, Israeli, Indian, etc. Presidents, so that election wouldn't need to covered.

10 minutes ago, Sami said:

I'll add you in.

@Patine Yes I was directly thinking about the legislative...but the elections under the third republic have some disaventagees.

Since the 30's we've got a legislative system at two turns (excepted during the 4th Republic (1945-1958, there was a proportionnal due to the fact that the Left parties made the Constitution)

In the beginning of the Third it was a one single turn like the American system, maybe it could be wiser to create some political groups rather than putting all parties which contested the 1936: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Élections_législatives_françaises_de_1936)

2 minutes ago, Sami said:

@Pattine Yes I was directly thinking about the legislative...but the elections under the third republic have some disaventagees.

Since the 30's we've got a legislative system at two turns (excepted during the 4th Republic (1945-1958, there was a proportionnal due to the fact that the Left parties made the Constitution)

In the beginning of the Third it was a one single turn like the American system, maybe it could be wiser to create "Center Left-Left-Center Right-Right" rather than putting all parties which contested the 1936: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Élections_législatives_françaises_de_1936)

Maybe we should just make a version of the second-round.

Are you considering the '32 German presidential election as part of the series? Because I have a framework for it already; I have regions, issues and events queued up for it, and the forefront candidates.

1 hour ago, Wiw said:

Are you considering the '32 German presidential election as part of the series? Because I have a framework for it already; I have regions, issues and events queued up for it, and the forefront candidates.

I'm considering it.

24 minutes ago, Wiw said:

I don't know where I'm going to get the poll statistics for each region though.

You can use the 1932 Reichstag elections as a basis as to where the regions would lean.I did that for Israel 1996.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 2:49 PM, Wiw said:

What would be the leanings for Hindenburg and Der Stalheim?

Sorry for the late reply,

Hindenburg should get 8/10 of non-nazi voters and Der Stalheim should get 2/10 of non-nazi voters.

Archived