270soft Forum

What if NASA had the US Military's Budget?

Maybe instead of debating about immigration, we'd be discussing how many extraterrestrials should be allowed to come to Earth per year and what they have to do to gain citizenship.

(Though given the current state of the world, it's questionable whether any aliens would *want* to come here.)

1 hour ago, RI Democrat said:

Maybe instead of debating about immigration, we'd be discussing how many extraterrestrials should be allowed to come to Earth per year and what they have to do to gain citizenship.

(Though given the current state of the world, it's questionable whether any aliens would *want* to come here.)

You'd also need a translator

1 hour ago, RI Democrat said:

If they had the technology to get here, they wouldn't be asking for visas, resident immigrant status, or citizenship - we'd be asking for the right to live and maybe live huddled on some "reservations," like the Americans and Canadians used to make the Native peoples stay on.

22 minutes ago, Patine said:

If they had the technology to get here, they wouldn't be asking for visas, resident immigrant status, or citizenship - we'd be asking for the right to live and maybe live huddled on some "reservations," like the Americans and Canadians used to make the Native peoples stay on.

Scary, but true.

39 minutes ago, Patine said:

Just because they can travel long distances doesn't mean they plan on invading considering the planet's current climate trajectory and the decreased productivity of the land that'll come with it doesn't make invading so worthwhile.

10 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

Just because they can travel long distances doesn't mean they plan on invading considering the planet's current climate trajectory and the decreased productivity of the land that'll come with it doesn't make invading so worthwhile.

What if they're looking for a rarified resource we don't recognize the value of, but our sovereign holding of the planet is an impediment to extracting (I've some read, watched, and even wrote some pretty weird science fiction in my day).

I'd rather NASA have the military budget, and the military have the NASA budget. Although, I understand this isn't quite practical. 

Just now, vcczar said:

I'd rather NASA have the military budget, and the military have the NASA budget. Although, I understand this isn't quite practical. 

It would be if military adventurism and endless foreign and proxy wars - many of which are actually to enrich big corporations who lobby close to the government by causing "volatile" regimes to be replaced by those who will "do business," or wars based on political ideological clashing, nation building, and alliance with countries that have little true impact, interest, or meaning (outside of what's drummed up artificially through propaganda) to the average American soldier, or average American at all, as well as the inevitable "cleaning up" of messes caused by the first two types of war *cough*ISIS*cough*.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

It would be if military adventurism and endless foreign and proxy wars - many of which are actually to enrich big corporations who lobby close to the government by causing "volatile" regimes to be replaced by those who will "do business," or wars based on political ideological clashing, nation building, and alliance with countries that have little true impact, interest, or meaning (outside of what's drummed up artificially through propaganda) to the average American soldier, or average American at all, as well as the inevitable "cleaning up" of messes caused by the first two types of war *cough*ISIS*cough*.

I would eliminate all military budget that is used towards nation building, proxy wars, and enriching the corporation. However, I wouldn't decreased the military budget in areas of actual national defense, training, innovation and preparedness. I think I could cut the defense budget by 35% (sounds about right--could be more or less, but I'd aim for that). Of this, I wouldn't mind giving a huge budget increase to NASA. Most of the rest would go to infrastructure and modernization. 

56 minutes ago, Patine said:

What if they're looking for a rarified resource we don't recognize the value of, but our sovereign holding of the planet is an impediment to extracting (I've some read, watched, and even wrote some pretty weird science fiction in my day).

It's possible, though it's also possible that they'd just be exploring. And there's a good chance that, if and when an alien species does in fact arrive in our solar system and make contact with us, it will be an artificial life form rather than a biological one, insofar as artificial life is probably easier to preserve in space. One possibility I've heard is something called a Von Neumann probe - basically a probe that gets launched from its home system with instructions to look for the raw materials it needs to replicate itself, which it then keeps doing until one of the replicas achieves whatever the original goal of the expedition is (finding other intelligent species, talking to them, securing resources, or whatever). In that scenario, we might not even know that it's here depending on its size and the nature of its mission - it might just scan us from a distance and send its findings back to the homeworld, or it might make limited contact and just give us an information dump about the species that invented it (since real-time communication would likely be impossible).

1 minute ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Violates the NAP

Might violate more than that, and with worse consequences, if there's actually an advanced extra-terrestrial species resident or having settled there whose technology greatly exceeds ours...

4 hours ago, Patine said:

Might violate more than that, and with worse consequences, if there's actually an advanced extra-terrestrial species resident or having settled there whose technology greatly exceeds ours...

Tl;Dr: Violates Space NAP. Earth gets strafed by E.T. McTomahawk Missles

3 minutes ago, ThePotatoWalrus said:

Tl;Dr: Violates Space NAP. Earth gets strafed by E.T. McTomahawk Missles

I don't even know what you're talking about here. Some annoying pop-culture reference or Internet meme, or complilation of several, no doubt.

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

I don't even know what you're talking about here. Some annoying pop-culture reference or Internet meme, or complilation of several, no doubt.

Salty old man with the Cain Patine coming in hot.

Well we haven't gone to the moon in 40 years, and despite innovations like the ISS, NASA seems to be stalled in 2nd gear.  So I'm not sure I'd trust them with $600B.  It would be better spent sponsoring private companies like SpaceX.  Especially if they're going to do stuff like this http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2010/aug/01/michael-sullivan/michael-sullivan-says-nasa-administrator-said-main/

2 hours ago, servo75 said:

Well we haven't gone to the moon in 40 years, and despite innovations like the ISS, NASA seems to be stalled in 2nd gear.  So I'm not sure I'd trust them with $600B.  It would be better spent sponsoring private companies like SpaceX.  Especially if they're going to do stuff like this http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2010/aug/01/michael-sullivan/michael-sullivan-says-nasa-administrator-said-main/

There's no short-term profit in space exploration - only a massive money sink. All potential profit is in the long-term, after large deficit expenditures. Unfortunately, given big corporations are always so short-sighted about that, and short-term profit at maximum levels must ALWAYS come above long-term ANYTHING (one of the biggest Achilles' heels and most disgusting aspects of corporatist thinking that may likely be the doom of the current round of human civilization into a new dark age eventually - perhaps even in our lifetimes), such private investment is not likely to happen.