270soft Forum

John Mccain

2 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

John Mccain has brain cancer. He was just diagnosed.

There'll be a special election in Arizona soon.

I was just going to make a post.

The seat could go Democrat, considering they have a lot of Blue Dog Democrats of note that could get elected there. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

The seat could go Democrat, considering they have a lot of Blue Dog Democrats of note that could get elected there. 

IDK they're not running anyone against Flake so far.

3 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I sincerely hope Joe Arpaio doesn't make a run for the seat. That would scare me - especially because he'd have a reasonable chance of winning. :( 

Damn shame for the senator. I will still admire him for not giving into xenophobic rhetoric when a supporter of his 2008 campaign said Obama is an Arab. To which he said he is just a good man that I just happen to disagree with.

While I am not a fan of him politically, my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.  My family has been hit by cancer, and I know how it feels to see a loved one suffering from it.  Hopefully he'll end up like Jimmy Carter when it is all said and done (cancer free according to the doctors).

12 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

They will run someone against him. He's seen as vulnerable. 

We disagree on some (though on less than other Republicans) but I admire him a ton as a human being, as a man willing to give his life and withstand great trials for his country, and as a politician. I really hope he gets to live for several more years at least (I've heard that surviving 5 or more years is possible).

This made me very sad in the morning... I hope he can continue to serve.

I think the Dems will work hard to recruit a top candidate against Flake. I did hear that Kyrsten Sinema has opted out, though I'm not sure how well she'd have done in the end anyway - she seems to have gone from being a fairly outspoken progressive when her career started to being a moderate Blue Dog type, so she'd probably be attacked as a flip-flopper.

I think there's a guy named Friese who is or was in the state legislature who's been discussed as a possibility. Ann Kirkpatrick lost to McCain by a large margin, but maybe she'd decide to give it another go against a less-established Senator. And of course I suppose Mark Kelly (Gabby Giffords' husband) would still be the dream candidate for Democrats.

If McCain has to resign, Dems might be hard-pressed to field two top-tier challengers at once, especially since I assume they're not planning to just roll over and play dead against Gov. Ducey either. Though really, politics has gotten so partisan that the real question may just be whether or not there's a wave and, if so, how big it is, as opposed to how credible the candidates are on their own.

1 hour ago, RI Democrat said:

Though really, politics has gotten so partisan that the real question may just be whether or not there's a wave and, if so, how big it is, as opposed to how credible the candidates are on their own.

That right there is what's really killing the credibility of politics and any sort of good governance for the people involved, not just in the United States, but in every nation with an electoral system and political parties (and, last I checked, only a few small Oceanian nations have both contested, free-and-fair elections and non-partisan politics, among sovereign nations today).

11 minutes ago, Patine said:

That right there is what's really killing the credibility of politics and any sort of good governance for the people involved, not just in the United States, but in every nation with an electoral system and political parties (and, last I checked, only a few small Oceanian nations have both contested, free-and-fair elections and non-partisan politics, among sovereign nations today).

In the 2013 election in the city council only Eric Ulrich's seat was close.

It is very sad that McCain is down with cancer, but as I have read, surgery went well and He'll be returning. Not a fan of his platform, but he is a good man who genuinely cares about America. 

2 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

It is very sad that McCain is down with cancer, but as I have read, surgery went well and He'll be returning. Not a fan of his platform, but he is a good man who genuinely cares about America. 

McCain can fight anything.

4 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

I am sorry he have it but I am still going to hate him and criticize him. he is a neo con scum but hey he got time to turn it around,

I disagree. I may not agree with his policy positions, but he's been around far longer than the Neo-con movement, and isn't a mindless follower. I respect him for fighting for our country rather than claiming he had bone spurs to dodge the draft. I respect him for standing up to his party leadership on several occasions. 

On 7/19/2017 at 6:46 PM, Patine said:

I sincerely hope Joe Arpaio doesn't make a run for the seat. That would scare me - especially because he'd have a reasonable chance of winning. :( 

I don't know about that, I think we could use a tough anti-illegal-immigration voice in the GOP Senate that has failed to take Trump's border wall seriously.

13 hours ago, LokiLoki22 said:

I disagree. I may not agree with his policy positions, but he's been around far longer than the Neo-con movement, and isn't a mindless follower. I respect him for fighting for our country rather than claiming he had bone spurs to dodge the draft. I respect him for standing up to his party leadership on several occasions. 

He and his boyfriend lindsay graham both want war. They are both a danger and hopefully they have anti war replacements.