270soft Forum

What Party do you support the most?

What Political Party do you feel most supports your beliefs?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What Political Party do you feel most supports your beliefs?

• Liberal
    • Conservative
    • NDP
    • Bloc Quebecois
    • Green
    • Other

Well, I can't vote.

But if I did, I honestly would have to sit down for a long and hard time to figure out who I'd vote for.

I live in Red Deer, and our MP's a good man. He's not very remarkable, but he's a strong Conservative and I respect him.

In the last federal election, his opponents were less than spectacular. The Liberal was weak on the issues, and the NDP guy ran a poor campaign.

It doesn't help that I didn't really like any of the federal candidates all that much - Harper was the best of the bunch, I thought.

I miss the PCs. Our current mayor once ran with them, and he would have made a fine MP.

And what a story it is!  :)

I joined the Liberals recently, because the NDP, as you said, is filled with extremists.

The thing is, I fully support what the NDP is trying to do and what they want to do, but, honestly, I know they'll never get to do it, because nobody will elect them to government.

In the Liberal Party, I can be part of something important. In the NDP, I'll just be a protestor aligned with a lost cause.

The NDP has members that are far too left-wing for my taste. I remember I once went to an NDP rally to protest the Iraq war, and a lot of people there wore shirts with Lenin on them.

I also joined the Liberal Party, because, no matter how hard I try, I just don't like Jack Layton. The main reason is that he doesn't seem to take himself seriously as a leader of Canada. He's just...a protester.

In fact, there hasn't been a single NDP leader that I could ever envision as Prime Minister, except for Tommy Douglas. And I just can't be part of a Party any longer, where the leader isn't taken seriously to become Prime Minister. Of all the leadership candidates who ran to replace Alexa McDonough, only Bill Blaikie looked and acted like someone who could be a Prime Minister. And he came in second-place.

Paul Martin is a leader of Canada.

Stephen Harper could be a leader of Canada.

Even Gilles Duceppe acts like a leader of a nation.

But Jack Layton constantly behaves like he should be holding a protester sign, screaming slogans.

Finally, the Liberal Party is a big tent. I can be in the same party as Navdeep Bains, John Efford and others who oppose same-sex marriage, and as Pierre Pettigrew, who is in favour of some health care that is private.

My beliefs are as follows:

I am in favour of a large increase to public health-care funding, while allowing some private health-care to those who want it.

I am in favour of same-sex marriage.

I believe in mandatory counselling before an abortion is allowed, and restrictions except in cases of rape or if the pregnancy would be a risk to the mother's life.

I am in favour of an elected senate.

I am in favour of gradual tax cuts for businesses, with larger tax cuts for businesses that show themselves to be respectful of the environment.

I don't agree with Kyoto, but I do feel we need more environmental legislation.

I believe in scrapping the gun registry.

I am in favour of moderate income tax cuts for the lowest 25% of income earners in Canada and a small income tax increase for the highest 25% of income earners in Canada.

I am in favour of allowing Quebec to have their independance, if they desire.

I am in favour of less trade and a looser affliation with the United States, in order to pursue stronger trade relations and affliation with the EU and parts of Southeast Asia like Taiwan, Vietnam and Thailand.

I am in favour of a stronger military to be used in peacekeeping missions sanctioned and approved by the UN.

I believe that Canada should be at the forefront of defending human rights in the world. They should stand in opposition to human rights violations in China and Burma.

I believe in Electoral Reform, including a move to PR. I would like to see each riding go with a preferential ballot with instant runoff, and then party list PR to make up the difference.

I think, based on that, that the Liberal Party is the best fit for me.

:huh:

Im a tory and I pretty much share every belief you have...

creepy... :P

Sure, now the Reform party is a component of a moderate party and the NDP has moved further to the fringes.

The NDP is actually doing pretty well in mainstreaming itself... And it's shown severe distaste for any movement to jive it towards the left. It shut down several provincial divisions when the waffle tried to take it over, remember.

The NDP is actually doing pretty well in mainstreaming itself... And it's shown severe distaste for any movement to jive it towards the left. It shut down several provincial divisions when the waffle tried to take it over, remember.

Layton is no mainstream politician - he was the farthest left on Toronto City Council, and they have some real doozies!