270soft Forum

What would a Hillary cabinet look like?

Let say Hillary was elected what would her cabinet look like? would they be any republicans in there? Would anyone from obama cabinet stay on or take new roles? Would Bill be in it I think i heard her say something about putting him in a cabinet role.

I've given this some thought and done quite a bit of reading on the potential members.

Secretary of State: Joe Biden or (if he declined) Wendy Sherman. Biden is an obvious pick, but if he said no, Sherman has the experience (having served as deputy SoS) to serve.

Treasury: Sheryl Sandberg. She would be in a Clinton Cabinet and I think Treasury would be right up her alley.

Labor: Elizabeth Warren. I think that she would need a position in the cabinet for the sake of conciliation of the party. If the party didn't want a republican sitting in Massachusetts' Senate seat, then maybe the rumor that Howard Schultz would be in the position would come true.

Defense: Michèle Flournoy. She made it on every shortlist, and would have been a historic choice.

AG: Tom Perez. He's progressive, and has quite the experience in law. He also wouldn't have been in the running for DNC chair.

Education: John King would stay from the Obama Administration or Jennifer Granholm would take over.

HHS: Neera Tanden. She was involved in the Clinton orbit and worked with both Bill Clinton and Obama with healthcare.

Commerce: Terry McAuliffe or Elizabeth Warren, if she doesn't get Labor.

Agriculture: I'm not sure you could rip Vilsack away from that job lol if he did, potentially Heidi Heitkamp

HUD: Annise Parker. Mayor of Houston who happens to be a lesbian.

Cheryl Mills is Chief of Staff and Huma is Deputy Chief of Staff.

State - Mark Warner or Terry McAuliffe

Treasury - probably some Goldman Sachs person I haven't heard of. 

Labor - Bernie Sanders

Defense - Lindsey Graham

AG - Loretta Lynch

Education - probably a current University president

HHS - Not sure

Commerce - Fred Hochberg (was pres of import-export bank)

Agriculture - Tom Vilsack

HUD - Julian Castro

Chief of Staff - Huma Abedin

Press Sec - Robby Mook

UN Ambassador - Tulsi Gabbard

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

State - Mark Warner or Terry McAuliffe

Treasury - probably some Goldman Sachs person I haven't heard of. 

Labor - Bernie Sanders

Defense - Lindsey Graham

AG - Loretta Lynch

Education - probably a current University president

HHS - Not sure

Commerce - Fred Hochberg (was pres of import-export bank)

Agriculture - Tom Vilsack

HUD - Julian Castro

Chief of Staff - Huma Abedin

Press Sec - Robby Mook

UN Ambassador - Tulsi Gabbard

I could see bill as a un ambassador

14 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

I could see bill as a un ambassador

I think he'd actually be great as that, but I think Hillary Clinton would be seriously talked down for doing that. Americans generally don't like nepotism, which was part of the case against Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton. People also don't like Trump using his family in government, even if they personally like his family. There may be a difference in that Bill Clinton would be the top person for the job (by way of experience) if he wasn't married to Hillary Clinton, but her critics will use that against her for her whole presidency. They'll compare them to the Underwood in House of Cards. 

8 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think he'd actually be great as that, but I think Hillary Clinton would be seriously talked down for doing that. Americans generally don't like nepotism, which was part of the case against Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton. People also don't like Trump using his family in government, even if they personally like his family. There may be a difference in that Bill Clinton would be the top person for the job (by way of experience) if he wasn't married to Hillary Clinton, but her critics will use that against her for her whole presidency. They'll compare them to the Underwood in House of Cards. 

Or like the Aquinos in the Philippines.

17 hours ago, vcczar said:

I am for nepotism as long as you are doing because you think that person is the right person for the job not because they are related.

2 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

I am for nepotism as long as you are doing because you think that person is the right person for the job not because they are related.

That's not really nepotism. That's coincidence. Nepotism is when you select family members (sometimes it's expanded to include close friends--but this is more like cronyism) for positions because you want them their for their supposed loyalty, rather than for their ability. Dictators generally do this for this reason. Loyalty became more important than merit, by a large margin. I know in some instances nepotism or coincidental nepotism has surprisingly paid off, such as when RFK was named Att Gen by JFK, despite having no real experience for the job. He wasn't the first, Woodrow Wilson picked his son-in-law for his treasurer. 

Just now, vcczar said:

That's not really nepotism. That's coincidence. Nepotism is when you select family members (sometimes it's expanded to include close friends--but this is more like cronyism) for positions because you want them their for their supposed loyalty, rather than for their ability. Dictators generally do this for this reason. Loyalty became more important than merit, by a large margin. I know in some instances nepotism or coincidental nepotism has surprisingly paid off, such as when RFK was named Att Gen by JFK, despite having no real experience for the job. He wasn't the first, Woodrow Wilson picked his son-in-law for his treasurer. 

Would we count what trump doing as nepotism or not because I am not sure if advisor count as being apart of the cabinet,

12 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

Would we count what trump doing as nepotism or not because I am not sure if advisor count as being apart of the cabinet,

That's certainly nepotism, since its a cabinet-level advisory position. Kushner is also a member of several committees that he has no qualifications to be part of. Ivanka Trump sat in for Trump at a G20 meeting, which was odd, and probably taken as disrespectful. Certainly, there were much more qualified people for these spots, but he chose blind loyalty over merit. I know I would never select family or friends for positions unless by merit they happened to beat the hundreds of other applicants. I'd rather appoint someone of the opposing party over family or loyal party members if they were clearly the best person for the job (so long as their loyalty to their party gets in the way of maximizing their superior talent). 

Bill would not be in the cabinet. He might have some policy development responsibilities or chair some commissions, just like Hillary worked on things beyond traditional First Lady responsibilities when Bill was President, but there wouldn't be Secretary of _____ Bill Clinton.