270soft Forum

Syrian refugees

Syrian refugees  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should Syrian refugees be admitted into your country

• yes
    • no

The question is literally Just "Syrian Refugees" Yes or no. LOL:P

This shouldn't be a debate. We have folks in Syria being persecuted by ISIS for simply worshiping the wrong god. And a government in Syria going out of its way to prevent the freedom of speech and association. If we, as a nation( excluding @Patine, @Conservative Elector 2 for obvious reasons) believe in these ideas, then we shouldn't turn our backs to the community that needs our help the most to practice those rights.

I'll be honest, despite having Barry as my profile pic, this is the one issue I wish he did more. When Assad used Sarin gas on the crowds of protesters, the president did nothing. The Rebel factions grew weaker, as they fought an underfunded war on two fronts( ISIS and Syria). The United States had a perfect opportunity then to help insure that by 2017, Assad wouldn't be as powerful as he once was. 

And we shouldn't treat this like it's a debate regarding the funding of roads( I don't mean here, but the media/political discourse in general), because unlike roads: this is a literal life and death for countless Syrians. 

I apologise for being on my soap box.

We've seen how that has worked for countries in Germany.  And, when intelligence officials in the Obama administration say that they cannot be properly vetted, it shows that there is a risk of admitting ISIS, and other radical extremist, fighters into the country.

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

We've seen how that has worked for countries in Germany.  And, when intelligence officials in the Obama administration say that they cannot be properly vetted, it shows that there is a risk of admitting ISIS, and other radical extremist, fighters into the country.

I'm sorry, but this is a flat out lie. What you're referring to is a brief instance in Iraq when there was a security concern and the US imposed a temporary moratorium on refugees from Iraq.

The process to gain refugee status in the US is extremely difficult: cleared by the DHS, CIA, DOD, THE UN, and a few other government agencies. This process takes months, often over a year. 

7 hours ago, NYrepublican said:

Should Syrian refugees be admitted into your country?

This question is once again one of those "one-answer-fits-all" for a given demographic that seem to be becoming so common nowadays. I don't like the precedent of these questions, or this style of thinking, It quickly can escalate to siege mentality, dehumanization of other peoples JUST because of their demographic (that is, their lives, in general, become viewed as inherently less valuable, even worthless, because they belong to a certain demographic), or the belief (like we often we koneke spouting, in fact) that whole demographics think and act in certain, predictable lockstep of belief and action without exception.

8 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

I'm sorry, but this is a flat out lie. What you're referring to is a brief instance in Iraq when there was a security concern and the US imposed a temporary moratorium on refugees from Iraq.

The process to gain refugee status in the US is extremely difficult: cleared by the DHS, CIA, DOD, THE UN, and a few other government agencies. This process takes months, often over a year. 

It's not a lie.  James Comey said as much.  Clapper also stated that the refugee situation is a prime opportunity for ISIS to attack the US.

1 minute ago, jvikings1 said:

It's not a lie.  James Comey said as much.  Clapper also stated that the refugee situation is a prime opportunity for ISIS to attack the US.

You of course realize the other side of the coin. If all First World countries show nothing but a hard heart, callous attitude, and closed borders to these migrants, who wins there? I'll tell you - ISIS recruiters, who are given all the more ammunition to demonize the West by the West's own paranoid and xenophobic actions.

7 hours ago, Patine said:

You of course realize the other side of the coin. If all First World countries show nothing but a hard heart, callous attitude, and closed borders to these migrants, who wins there? I'll tell you - ISIS recruiters, who are given all the more ammunition to demonize the West by the West's own paranoid and xenophobic actions.

This is assuming that there is no other way of helping the refugees.  Nations can help with supporting the refugees in the area which would be a win-win.  Bringing them into the country unvetted is not the only way to help.  That is the falsehood that many on the left and in the media push.

Just now, jvikings1 said:

This is assuming that there is no other way of helping the refugees.  Nations can help with supporting the refugees in the area which would be a win-win.  Bringing them into the country unvetted is not the only way to help.  That is the falsehood that many on the left and in the media push.

The only such 'help' I've heard hide nor hair of thus far is missile and air strikes and arming militias, not all of which are trustworthy. It seems these programs you speak of have yet to get started, or even seriously proposed, yes?

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

The only such 'help' I've heard hide nor hair of thus far is missile and air strikes and arming militias, not all of which are trustworthy. It seems these programs you speak of have yet to get started, or even seriously proposed, yes?

There have been propositions for funding by many politicians, but this issue really isn't in the spotlight right now with healthcare and tax reform on the agenda for congress.

I do agree that funneling arms is not trustworthy and has a high potential to do more damage than good.

18 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

There have been propositions for funding by many politicians, but this issue really isn't in the spotlight right now with healthcare and tax reform on the agenda for congress.

I do agree that funneling arms is not trustworthy and has a high potential to do more damage than good.

Exactly. The Contras, UNITA, and RENAMO, and their horrible excesses on the American dime, should be good be reminders and lessons from the past of that potential mistake.

23 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

This shouldn't be a debate. We have folks in Syria being persecuted by ISIS for simply worshiping the wrong god. And a government in Syria going out of its way to prevent the freedom of speech and association. If we, as a nation( excluding @Patine, @Conservative Elector 2 for obvious reasons) believe in these ideas, then we shouldn't turn our backs to the community that needs our help the most to practice those rights.

I'll be honest, despite having Barry as my profile pic, this is the one issue I wish he did more. When Assad used Sarin gas on the crowds of protesters, the president did nothing. The Rebel factions grew weaker, as they fought an underfunded war on two fronts( ISIS and Syria). The United States had a perfect opportunity then to help insure that by 2017, Assad wouldn't be as powerful as he once was. 

And we shouldn't treat this like it's a debate regarding the funding of roads( I don't mean here, but the media/political discourse in general), because unlike roads: this is a literal life and death for countless Syrians. 

I apologise for being on my soap box.

the rebel factions are either isis or terrorist groups