270soft Forum

Democrats haven't learned anything

4 hours ago, Patine said:

I believe Americans in general (or the great majority) haven't learned anything at all if these TWO corrupt, divisive, entitled, polarizing, and anti-productively competitive with large, unworkable portions to each of their core platforms they refuse to consider abandoning, or even bending on, even for the good of the people as a whole, are still by far the two dominant parties, solidly entrenched politically to the point most Americans regard a candidate for any major office outside one of their folds as impossible as breaking a law of physics or God (depending on where you stand on that one), and thus collectively have no significant challenge. Of course, I'm talking about BOTH the Democratic and Republican Parties together, a duopoly I'd greatly like to see collapse politically - a collapse I believe that would only enhance and better the American political system as a whole in the long run.

I think our best chance is to pull the Democratic Party in a more left-populist direction. A new party to the Democrats' left, even if it might eventually be able to win, would probably consign us to a decade or more of solid Republican control in the meantime, and unless the GOP get their heads out of the sand on key issues like climate change, health care, and international cooperation, that's just too high a price to pay. This "let's undercut Bernie because he was 'divisive'" schtick is exactly the sort of thing that will keep the Democratic Party timid and ineffectual.

Well I mean Sanders' democrats are trying to challenge Manchin and if they somehow succeed, they'd be handing the state to the GOP. Not like the DNC isn't full of idiots on both sides.

5 hours ago, wolves said:

Not like the DNC isn't full of idiots on both sides.

Is any political party in the world today of any significance not full of idiots? Really? It's not a matter of different kinds of idiots. As I've often been saying, elections nowadays are coming down to pick your poison, and voters in various countries deserve better.

8 hours ago, Patine said:

Is any political party in the world today of any significance not full of idiots? Really? It's not a matter of different kinds of idiots. As I've often been saying, elections nowadays are coming down to pick your poison, and voters in various countries deserve better.

Elections have always been pick your poison.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:56 PM, wolves said:

Well I mean Sanders' democrats are trying to challenge Manchin and if they somehow succeed, they'd be handing the state to the GOP. Not like the DNC isn't full of idiots on both sides.

Manchin should be left alone. I'm not even talking about primary challenges so much as the sorts of policies that left-leaning activists should push for and the message for winning Republican-held seats.