Jump to content
270soft Forum

Democrats haven't learned anything


Recommended Posts

http://observer.com/2017/07/clinton-supporters-challenge-bernie-sanders-senate-seat/

Looks like the Democrats haven't learned a thing, this is exactly why people abhor the Democratic party. No matter your opinion of Sanders I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure most voters pay close attention to something like this, though Sanders' high profile might draw more coverage than your average primary battle. I agree that it's stupid, though, and Hillary ought to denounce it. Democrats need their economic populist wing if they want to win sustainable majorities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RI Democrat said:

I'm not sure most voters pay close attention to something like this, though Sanders' high profile might draw more coverage than your average primary battle. I agree that it's stupid, though, and Hillary ought to denounce it. Democrats need their economic populist wing if they want to win sustainable majorities.

It would be more up to the DNC because Sanders is independent. I doubt either the Republican or Democrat could beat Sanders in a 3 way race. With Sanders popularity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYrepublican said:

hopefully he'll split the vote enough for a republican to win.

It would have to be a fairly progressive or moderate republican to have even a chance 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SeanFKennedy said:

It would have to be a fairly progressive or moderate republican to have even a chance 

just take any Republican from NYC and you have a candidate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYrepublican said:

just take any Republican from NYC and you have a candidate.

True but this is Vermont, republicans do have a shot at DeBlasio though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

eh.. Not exactly it's currently a 40 point race.

DeBlasio isn't that popular a 50% approval is low for being in liberal NYC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SeanFKennedy said:

DeBlasio isn't that popular a 50% approval is low for being in liberal NYC.

Nicole is not well-known or popular enough in the neighborhoods and districts that'd be needed to win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

only a 3% chance of it as of now.

Remember when Trump had a 3% chance of winning. Crazier things have happened. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SeanFKennedy said:

Remember when Trump had a 3% chance of winning. Crazier things have happened. 

I judge it as very unlikely. NO mayoral candidate has recovered from that bad a polling deficit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeanFKennedy said:

It would be more up to the DNC because Sanders is independent. I doubt either the Republican or Democrat could beat Sanders in a 3 way race. With Sanders popularity. 

Sanders will be a skeleton in 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, koneke said:

Sanders will be a skeleton in 2020.

There is much older people out there in office, Orrin Hatch is 83, John McCain is 80, Sanders is only 75. Your point is irrelevant 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SeanFKennedy said:

There is much older people out there in office, Orrin Hatch is 83, John McCain is 80, Sanders is only 75. Your point is irrelevant 

I think he didn't realize that you meant his senate campaign.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that there are two america.

The america of the countrysides and the america of the towns.

Now the Democratic Party is the party of the towns, and thanks to the rural protectionnist program of Trump in some words, the countrysides are even more Republican than they ever been.

Even if Bernie Sanders make gains in countrysides contrary to Clinton, this effect won't change, there is a global movement that both Hillary and Trump improved.

In 1996 you had between 36 to 39% of chances that the presidential candidate who won in your congressionnal district had more than 60% for himself, in 2016 it was 69% despite the fact that both were at 45,8 and 48% at the national level.

The globalisation also improved the movement, and that is why even if Bernie was the leader of the Democrat I see a quite freezed presidential map at the exceptions of some switch in the swing states or if there was an important change about the inhabitants of a town in a state.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SeanFKennedy said:

There is much older people out there in office, Orrin Hatch is 83, John McCain is 80, Sanders is only 75. Your point is irrelevant 

I thought it was a presidential run, and to do a presidential run you need to have a maximum of physical strength that a 78 year old person won't have. A senate run isn't so consuming, so your point is irrelevant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SeanFKennedy said:

http://observer.com/2017/07/clinton-supporters-challenge-bernie-sanders-senate-seat/

Looks like the Democrats haven't learned a thing, this is exactly why people abhor the Democratic party. No matter your opinion of Sanders I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

I believe Americans in general (or the great majority) haven't learned anything at all if these TWO corrupt, divisive, entitled, polarizing, and anti-productively competitive with large, unworkable portions to each of their core platforms they refuse to consider abandoning, or even bending on, even for the good of the people as a whole, are still by far the two dominant parties, solidly entrenched politically to the point most Americans regard a candidate for any major office outside one of their folds as impossible as breaking a law of physics or God (depending on where you stand on that one), and thus collectively have no significant challenge. Of course, I'm talking about BOTH the Democratic and Republican Parties together, a duopoly I'd greatly like to see collapse politically - a collapse I believe that would only enhance and better the American political system as a whole in the long run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, koneke said:

I thought it was a presidential run, and to do a presidential run you need to have a maximum of physical strength that a 78 year old person won't have. A senate run isn't so consuming, so your point is irrelevant.

what? I thought it was obvious he was talking about the senate run?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, koneke said:

I thought it was a presidential run, and to do a presidential run you need to have a maximum of physical strength that a 78 year old person won't have. A senate run isn't so consuming, so your point is irrelevant.

How could his point possibly irrelevant?  You mentioned something about his age in 2020, which has nothing to do with the 2018 Senate election, the topic of the thread...

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I read this brief article ( roughly 3 paragraphs) and I'll be honest, none of them could win. 

First let me say, after spending too much of my free time for a party in my county that has as much power as a declawed kitten, the NATIONAL PARTY OFFICES DO NOT DICTATE WHO GETS ON LOCAL BALLOTS. Full stop.

These are folks acting independently( not through the backing of party leaders in the state) and will most likely not receive the backing of the DCCC if one were to go on and get the nomination. 

Bernie Sanders is extremely popular in VT! His best state in the primaries was VT, and his second best was next door in NH. I highly doubt that a Twitter troll can defeat a politician that has 30 years of experience. (Looks at current president....NVM ?).

And building off of the lack of support from the DCCC, DNC, VT DEMOCRATIC PARTY, etc. Even if there is a democratic nominee, I doubt the DCCC would divert funds from races in Arizona, Texas, and Nevada just to unseat possibly the most popular sitting senator. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...