270soft Forum

world map...

Does anyone have a working World Map? I'd love to do a World Election.

I think it would be fun to adapt the game to have a world election set during World War II. You could have Democracy (with men such as FDR, Patton, and Churchill running), Monarchy (with... Hirohito- I think that was the emperor of Japan- if I'm wrong please forgive me), Facism (with Hitler, Rommel, or Himmler- hopefully this won't offend people and if it does they can always turn the party off) and Communism (with Lenin, Stalin, or Trotsky). I even started this ambitious project but I had map creation problems which are beyond my abilities to fix.

Anyways, my point is I'm sure there are lots of possibilities with a world electoral map; and I'm just as sure I'm not the only person that would love to take advantage of them. If anyone has made this map or is interested in working on it please let me know! I was thinking of adapting the risk board country grouping since that seems like a good way to do it but any other ideas would be welcome.

email= CCrazyTom@hotmail.com

At first I wanted to comment that it's impossible to make a scenario about free elections while communists and fascists are against freedom and democracy, but I changed my mind and think it would be kinda cool. Ofcourse this would be totally fictional, so I'd say it wouldn't hurt to change (perhaps even screw ;) ) history.

We could have the three power blocks fighting over the presidency of a united earth. The blocks could be:

CAPITALIST: pres FDR, vice-pres Churchill

COMMUNIST: pres Stalin, vice-pres Mao

FASCIST: pres Hitler, vice-pres Musulini

Now I know that this is all but realistic, but it would be FUN to have a fight between the world's three biggest powers for world leadership. Even though nobody knew Mao during WW2 and that Churchill and Musulini would never settle for second banana.

Ow, and perhaps we could add a pacifist power consisting of leaders from the southern continents, who are tired of these three powers fighting eachother.

Oooh, sounds like a cool idea. You should make a modern one too...where the UN takes over the world type of deal - Perhaps having one of the parties being a "Nations Rights" party with lots of support in areas like the US and China.

Another idea begins to form in my head for a modern scenario with power blocks:

1 - Capitalist America lead by George W. Bush, South-America and Japan are allies. The war against terror is still going on. It's possible to make up another war in the middle east following another terrorist attack in the US, Syria?

2 - A pissed-off EU that's tired of following Bush and now follows an extremely liberal agenda with more government influence, the UK got rid of Blair and now fully supports the EU. European thinking has some support among people in Northern America (liberal democrats).

3 - A communist block lead by China, which is getting attractive to development countries because they tried capitalism for decades and it's not working well for them. Also some power in Latin America where economies are failing.

4 - Islamic block that wants a world government to respect the right to have countries without seperation of church (mosque?) and state, waving off comments about violating human rights. Agree to democratic reform, but want to ban all foreign forces in the middle east.

The ultimate swingstate in such an election would be Russia, which has people supporting capitalism, EU thinking, and still communist support.

OK so! We've proven that people would enjoy a world map? Now, is anyone willing to make it? I've already tried with no success. Perhaps the person that made Australia? I'm totally willing to make these scenarios and follow up on any cool ideas but someone has to make the map. Someone please volunteer!

I intend to. I just finished my Battle Royal Scenario yesterday so now I'll have some time. But I need a copy of a World Map to continue. I'm too lazy to try and fix the bugs in the one I have been using... if Perason would send me the map he's got- I assume with the regions outlined in a way the P4E software can read- then I could begin work. but that's really up to him...

• 2 weeks later...

You mean the one MattyN posted? That would require a lot of editing to get it appropriate for the P4E software to understand. whatever happened to the Pearson one that is working on... maybe he's still working on the scenario?

The map has been finished (it looks good IMO) but I'm having problems placing the co-ordinates. I mean I know how to use co-ordinates, but the problem is that the countries are too small. In such a small world map you can barely make out the smaller countries and therefore not place name tags. I did all the big countries, but I don't know what to do now.

I think this is the point where I have to start working on the scenario so I can use that background to group countries together (for example Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Panama become 'Central America').

Now I wanna start with the scenario about the president, but am unsure on how to devide Europe. I think one big EU is too much, so I could split it into regions: EU east, EU west, EU south. But that would mean I'd be splitting a union.

Another problem is the UK. It would be interesting to have it as a different country because it's always been a bit different from the rest of Europe. But then, it would look like I'm saying the UK isn't part of the union.

Suggestions please.

I also need help with deviding Africa, Middle-East, South-East Asia and Latin America. All ideas are welcome!

Risk is decades old and doesn't aim to be politically realistic. It makes no sense to have an East and West US, but still it does, because they didn't want one country as big as the US in Risk.

I am looking for a way to devide the world in a way that makes some political sense.