270soft Forum

2016 with approval voting

12 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

today budget:$82.2 billion

2013(Bloomberg's last year):$68.7 billion (today:$72,111,156,994.64)

during all this decriminalization quality of life has worsened.

@vcczar

Where is the source for this information? 

10 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Where is the source for this information? 

that's the budget that's being acted upon today not the 2018 one just to clarify

http://www1.nyc.gov/html/omb/downloads/pdf/mm5_12.pdf - page 7

http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/396-16/fact-sheet-mayor-de-blasio-releases-fy-2017-executive-budget#/0 - "Today, Mayor Bill de Blasio presented New York City’s Executive Budget for Fiscal Year 2017 (FY17). The FY17 Executive Budget is balanced, totaling $82.2 billion"

@vcczar

18 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

that's the budget that's being acted upon today not the 2018 one just to clarify

http://www1.nyc.gov/html/omb/downloads/pdf/mm5_12.pdf - page 7

http://www1.nyc.gov/office-of-the-mayor/news/396-16/fact-sheet-mayor-de-blasio-releases-fy-2017-executive-budget#/0 - "Today, Mayor Bill de Blasio presented New York City’s Executive Budget for Fiscal Year 2017 (FY17). The FY17 Executive Budget is balanced, totaling $82.2 billion"

@vcczar

What are the primary areas of budget increase under de Blasio? 

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

What are the primary areas of budget increase under de Blasio? 

I read it awhile ago but forgot what it was.I don't have time to go through it right now.

5 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I read it awhile ago but forgot what it was.I don't have time to go through it right now.

My guess is some of the budget increase is justifiable, transportation updates and such. I'm just wondering if the necessary budget increases, called for cuts in other areas, and decriminalization of harmless things, like public urination, were areas that de Blasio found that he could save some money in order to get wiggle room for increases. The cost of public transportation upkeep and modernization in NYC is more than most city budgets alone, I'd imagine. 

Just now, vcczar said:

My guess is some of the budget increase is justifiable, transportation updates and such. I'm just wondering if the necessary budget increases, called for cuts in other areas, and decriminalization of harmless things, like public urination, were areas that de Blasio found that he could save some money in order to get wiggle room for increases. The cost of public transportation upkeep and modernization in NYC is more than most city budgets alone, I'd imagine. 

the MTA is under state control last time I checked.

6 minutes ago, vcczar said:

The NYC subway system is the fourth largest urban underground rail transit system in the world at this time, after Beijing, Tokyo, and London (the latter also being the world's first and oldest such system).

Just now, Patine said:

The NYC subway system is the fourth largest urban underground rail transit system in the world at this time, after Beijing, Tokyo, and London (the latter also being the world's first and oldest such system).

7 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

the MTA is under state control last time I checked.

@NYrepublican What were the reasons given behind these decriminalizations? Some park rules are kind of dumb. I was in Central Park at 2am one night, because I felt like seeing what the park looked like in the dark, and I wanted to take a short cut. I was in the park for maybe 20 minutes, walking from the West Side to the East Side. Technically, I broke a park rule. 

5 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@NYrepublican What were the reasons given behind these decriminalizations? Some park rules are kind of dumb. I was in Central Park at 2am one night, because I felt like seeing what the park looked like in the dark, and I wanted to take a short cut. I was in the park for maybe 20 minutes, walking from the West Side to the East Side. Technically, I broke a park rule. 

It was Genius of all Geniuses(sarcasm) Viverito's attempt at policing reform.There's a huge difference between you walking at 2 A.M not bothering nor disturbing anyone and people urinating on the streets . It's a quality of life issue.

36 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

It was Genius of all Geniuses(sarcasm) Viverito's attempt at policing reform.There's a huge difference between you walking at 2 A.M not bothering nor disturbing anyone and people urinating on the streets . It's a quality of life issue.

Has there been an increase in public urination? 

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

It's not just one state. It's at least a handful, at a minimum. Additionally, his approval rating in most cities is pretty low. While California is the largest state, it represents 12% of the US population. Probably about 35% of this 12% are Republicans or Libertarians. Remember also that his favorability rating was historically low before he won the election. I don't think he's ever had 50% favorability or approval from any credible polling company (except maybe a couple Rasmussin polls, but they even show that he is unpopular). I do think Trump's base has a magnified level of support for him. So those that hang out with other Trump supporters, live among a majority of Trump supporters (meaning those favoring him in the Republican primaries), are likely to feel that he is immensely popular, until they leave this circle of friends and supporters. I was recently in Philadelphia, from a state that voted for Trump, I didn't see a single Trump supporter sign. I saw Clinton (and some Sanders) signs, and many "Impeach Trump Now!" or "Not my president!" or "F*** Trump!" on signs in peoples windows, flyers on the streets, on people's T-Shirts. I'm still in Austin, TX right now, and we have the same thing here, but to a lesser degree (also more Sanders supporters than Clinton supporters, unlike in Philadelphia). The populations are in the cities and they are mostly opposed to Trump. I doubt Trump ever exceeds Obama's worst polling week, unless the polls are geared towards only Trump's base, as many polls are conducted in the right wing media sites, generally in unscientific polls. 

phil is just small part of the state but outside of philly they love trump they are 50 50 here in bucks where i live it was so close in the election.

9 hours ago, vcczar said:

It's not just one state. It's at least a handful, at a minimum. Additionally, his approval rating in most cities is pretty low. While California is the largest state, it represents 12% of the US population. Probably about 35% of this 12% are Republicans or Libertarians. Remember also that his favorability rating was historically low before he won the election. I don't think he's ever had 50% favorability or approval from any credible polling company (except maybe a couple Rasmussin polls, but they even show that he is unpopular). I do think Trump's base has a magnified level of support for him. So those that hang out with other Trump supporters, live among a majority of Trump supporters (meaning those favoring him in the Republican primaries), are likely to feel that he is immensely popular, until they leave this circle of friends and supporters. I was recently in Philadelphia, from a state that voted for Trump, I didn't see a single Trump supporter sign. I saw Clinton (and some Sanders) signs, and many "Impeach Trump Now!" or "Not my president!" or "F*** Trump!" on signs in peoples windows, flyers on the streets, on people's T-Shirts. I'm still in Austin, TX right now, and we have the same thing here, but to a lesser degree (also more Sanders supporters than Clinton supporters, unlike in Philadelphia). The populations are in the cities and they are mostly opposed to Trump. I doubt Trump ever exceeds Obama's worst polling week, unless the polls are geared towards only Trump's base, as many polls are conducted in the right wing media sites, generally in unscientific polls. 

if you are looking for trump supporter in pa philly is the wrong place one of the reason he won the state was because of erie county and high republican turn outside of the city. alot of surrounding county in philly that thought voted democrat were close.

9 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

if you are looking for trump supporter in pa philly is the wrong place one of the reason he won the state was because of erie county and high republican turn outside of the city. alot of surrounding county in philly that thought voted democrat were close.

I brought up Philadelphia and Austin as a rebuttal to your charge that Trump's awful poll numbers were exclusively because of a state that begins with the letter C. I chose two Trump states with a large population opposed to Trump. The dislike is nationwide in population centers, not exclusive to California (12% of the US population)

Just now, vcczar said:

I brought up Philadelphia and Austin as a rebuttal to your charge that Trump's awful poll numbers were exclusively because of a state that begins with the letter C. I chose two Trump states with a large population opposed to Trump. The dislike is nationwide in population centers, not exclusive to California (12% of the US population)

but keep in mind both philly and austin were in states trump won.

14 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I couldn't find hard numbers on this but in my experience yes those activities have increased.

When I lived in NYC, I think I only noticed it happening only about 7 times, mostly by homeless people, but also by drunk fraternity boys. I think a humorous way to protest this decriminalized law would be to get thousands of people who oppose the law, and then have them urinate all over Union Square Park at the same time in protest. 

12 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I don't think he meant that as literally as you took it.

@vcczar

Just now, vcczar said:

When I lived in NYC, I think I only noticed it happening only about 7 times, mostly by homeless people, but also by drunk fraternity boys. I think a humorous way to protest this decriminalized law would be to get thousands of people who oppose the law, and then have them urinate all over Union Square Park at the same time in protest. 

I'm thinking about writing to Nicole Malliotakis(the de facto republican candidate) and having her organize it as a campaign event.

6 minutes ago, Presidentinsertname said:

but keep in mind both philly and austin were in states trump won.

I know this, and I said as such in the very post that you are responding to. My sole argument is to show the great dislike of Trump outside of California to show that you presented a weak argument for why Trump's approval rating is so low. Your reasoning was that was exclusively because of California. Evidence shows that is incorrect. It is even in states that supported Trump.