270soft Forum

2020 Issue: Free Trade

vcczar

Here's another issue for 2020, along with candidate positions. Let me know if I should amend anything. What I need most help on is playing the Republicans on this list, especially those who would be Right and Far Right]

FL: Protect the American labor market. Punish companies that send jobs overseas. 

L: Increases taxes on companies that send jobs overseas. Free trade must include labor and environmental conditions. [Sanders, KHarris, Castro, Gabbard, Steyer, Warren, ShBrown, Schultz, Grayson, Franken, Moulton]

CL: Consider new free trade carefully, and create incentives to keep jobs in America. [Trump, Biden, McAuliffe, O'Malley, Garcetti, Booker, Gillibrand, Newsom, Heinrich, HClinton, Buttigieg, Cuomo]

C: Free trade is doing fine as it is. Corporate and labor culture are coping. [Chafee, Edwards, Bullock]

CR: Outsourcing is not a problem, it is part of the globalized world and helps America. Additional free trade agreements. [Kasich, Graham, Paul, Cruz, Rubio, Martinez, Huntsman, Cotton, Sasse, Collins]

R: Outsourcing allows US workers to find better jobs. Global free trade would only help America. 

FR: Businesses should be encourage to do whatever it takes to make a profit. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Here's another issue for 2020, along with candidate positions. Let me know if I should amend anything. What I need most help on is playing the Republicans on this list, especially those who would be Right and Far Right]

FL: Protect the American labor market. Punish companies that send jobs overseas. 

L: Increases taxes on companies that send jobs overseas. Free trade must include labor and environmental conditions. [Sanders, KHarris, Castro, Gabbard, Steyer, Warren, ShBrown, Schultz, Grayson, Franken, Moulton]

CL: Consider new free trade carefully, and create incentives to keep jobs in America. [Trump, Biden, McAuliffe, O'Malley, Garcetti, Booker, Gillibrand, Newsom, Heinrich, HClinton, Buttigieg, Cuomo]

C: Free trade is doing fine as it is. Corporate and labor culture are coping. [Chafee, Edwards, Bullock]

CR: Outsourcing is not a problem, it is part of the globalized world and helps America. Additional free trade agreements. [Kasich, Graham, Paul, Cruz, Rubio, Martinez, Huntsman, Cotton, Sasse, Collins]

R: Outsourcing allows US workers to find better jobs. Global free trade would only help America. 

FR: Businesses should be encourage to do whatever it takes to make a profit. 

Yes, the fact that Trump's on the Left part of the spectrum (by the modern, American standard of the spectrum) in this issue, and that Clinton was more to the Right, is something no one really mentions, talks about, or acknowledges much.

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

Yes, the fact that Trump's on the Left part of the spectrum (by the modern, American standard of the spectrum) in this issue, and that Clinton was more to the Right, is something no one really mentions, talks about, or acknowledges much.

She was right of him, but then Sanders sort of pulled her left. They're sort of both similar on Free Trade, but different give and takes. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

She was right of him, but then Sanders sort of pulled her left. They're sort of both similar on Free Trade, but different give and takes. 

Given she was Secretary of State at the time the Obama Administration began the process of creating the TPP with 11 other countries and a bunch of megacorps, wouldn't she have been a pivotal member at the table in the negotiations to draw up the deal itself?

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Given she was Secretary of State at the time the Obama Administration began the process of creating the TPP with 11 other countries and a bunch of megacorps, wouldn't she have been a pivotal member at the table in the negotiations to draw up the deal itself?

This game is about the candidates in campaign mode, not how they would operate as president. 

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

This game is about the candidates in campaign mode, not how they would operate as president. 

I would say Trump was very Left and talked about punishing companies (FL) that outsourced.

7 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

I would say Trump was very Left and talked about punishing companies (FL) that outsourced.

Do you think he's changed from his 2016 campaign language though? Or would he revert back to that in 2020? I don't see him at Far-Left in 2020, since he doesn't seem to back acting as such as president, except in leaving Free Trade agreements. 

Just now, vcczar said:

Do you think he's changed from his 2016 campaign language though? Or would he revert back to that in 2020? I don't see him at Far-Left in 2020, since he doesn't seem to back acting as such as president, except in leaving Free Trade agreements. 

With that guy, he will probably be arrogant enough to think he can drop right back in to candidate Trump with anyone batting an eye.

Archived