270soft Forum

Here is another 2020 issue, along with candidate stances. Let me know if I should amend anything. 

FL: Completely public school system run by the state. Massive increase in education funding.

L: Large increase in funding. No school vouchers. Modernize the school system. Add more after school programs. [Biden, Sanders, KHarris, Castro, Gabbard, Garcetti, Warren, Gillibrand, ShBrown, Grayson, HClinton, Franken, Newsom, Cuomo, Moulton]

CL: Increase funding. Make teachers accountable with performance-based pay. Remain open to charter schools. [McAuliffe, O'Malley, Chafee, Edwards, Bullock, Steyer, Heinrich, Schultz]

C: Support public schools, but allow room for vouchers. [Booker, Buttigieg]

CR: School vouchers for low-income students. Privatize failing schools. Charter schools provide competition. [Rubio, Martinez]

R: Reduce federal government's role in education. Support vouchers and charter schools. [Trump, Kasich, Graham, Huntsman, Cotton, Sasse, Collins]

FR: School vouchers for anyone. Get the federal government completely out of education. [Paul, Cruz]

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Here is another 2020 issue, along with candidate stances. Let me know if I should amend anything. 

FL: Completely public school system run by the state. Massive increase in education funding.

L: Large increase in funding. No school vouchers. Modernize the school system. Add more after school programs. [Biden, Sanders, KHarris, Castro, Gabbard, Garcetti, Warren, Gillibrand, ShBrown, Grayson, HClinton, Franken, Newsom, Cuomo, Moulton]

CL: Increase funding. Make teachers accountable with performance-based pay. Remain open to charter schools. [McAuliffe, O'Malley, Chafee, Edwards, Bullock, Steyer, Heinrich, Schultz]

C: Support public schools, but allow room for vouchers. [Booker, Buttigieg]

CR: School vouchers for low-income students. Privatize failing schools. Charter schools provide competition. [Rubio, Martinez]

R: Reduce federal government's role in education. Support vouchers and charter schools. [Trump, Kasich, Graham, Huntsman, Cotton, Sasse, Collins]

FR: School vouchers for anyone. Get the federal government completely out of education. [Paul, Cruz]

Would James Buchanan, in his day, have been significantly farther-right-wing than any politician in the U.S. today on this issue, with his, "we have too many educated people in this country already," comment?

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Would James Buchanan, in his day, have been significantly farther-right-wing than any politician in the U.S. today on this issue, with his, "we have too many educated people in this country already," comment?

yes

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

I think almost every candidate would have been. You have to go to Horace Mann for the first popular government public education, which is what helped Massachusetts continue to be the intellectual mind of America. Whigs and Republicans would have been the education party, but certainly not all of them. Buchanan would be far-right, but so would have every president before him with the exception of JQ Adams and John Adams (to a lesser degree). I think if Jefferson was updated to the 21st century, and allowed to see what we've done and not done, he'd probably move away from far-right on education, as would Washington, Madison, possibly even Jackson and Van Buren. I think Monroe, Tyler, Polk, Buchanan, and maybe Pierce, would stubbornly stay far-right, despite being updated to our times. 

Personally, I'm okay with some vouchers and charter schools. I think if there was a process where a certain private company met certain requirements to privatize a school it would be okay. I would then use all the education budget towards the schools that weren't privatized, and then tried to make an example of them for supporting government run education. I'm okay with the competition, so long as the private institutions don't make the institution primarily, or even secondarily, a for-profit organization. 

12 minutes ago, michaelsdiamonds said:

I've found that education is still an area in which I'm most liberal. I definitely fall in the "Left" category here. I just think that a modernization campaign is much preferred over a privitazation approach. I definitely think there must be a way to streamline spending though.

I'm definitely for modernization as much as possible. Actually, in all things. 

8 minutes ago, michaelsdiamonds said:

I've found that education is still an area in which I'm most liberal. I definitely fall in the "Left" category here. I just think that a modernization campaign is much preferred over a privitazation approach. I definitely think there must be a way to streamline spending though.

This is a thing that hits close to home with me, in another game I'm playing I'm suing the Secretary of Education of a State for an illegal E.O.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSSC/comments/6jna2u/188_hearing_in_the_case_of_reagan0_v/

15 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

This is a thing that hits close to home with me, in another game I'm playing I'm suing the Secretary of Education of a State for an illegal E.O.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSSC/comments/6jna2u/188_hearing_in_the_case_of_reagan0_v/

This reminds me. I was playing some sort of election game at a website, and I totally forgot the name of the game. I was a Massachusetts politician. I haven't played it in months. 

1 minute ago, vcczar said:

This reminds me. I was playing some sort of election game at a website, and I totally forgot the name of the game. I was a Massachusetts politician. I haven't played it in months. 

Huh, I'd like to see that.

8 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Huh, I'd like to see that.

There were some other people from this forum at that website. Maybe one of them will chime in.