270soft Forum

Here's another 2020 issue, along with candidate positions. Please let me know if you think I should amend anything. 

FL: Raise income tax in a highly progressive tax system. Eliminate corporate loop holes [Sanders]

L: Make the tax system more progressive by increasing the marginal tax rate on the wealthy. Reform corporate tax system. [Garcetti, Warren, Newsom, Cuomo, Moulton]

CL: Raise taxes on the rich, reduce taxes for the middle class, reform corporate tax [Biden, McAuliffe, O'Malley, Chafee, KHarris, Castro, Gabbard, Steyer, Booker, Gillibrand, HClinton, ShBrown, Heinrich, Schultz, Grayson, Franken, Buttigieg]

C: Leave income tax as it presently is. Keep progressive tax. Remove small hidden tax, like the marriage tax. [Edwards, Bullock]

CR: Reduce corporate and income tax moderately [Kasich, Graham, Rubio, Martinez, Huntsman, Collins]

R: Major tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations; trickle down economics [Trump, Paul, Cotton, Sasse]

FR: Single rate flat tax for everyone; low tax rate for corporations [Cruz]

1 hour ago, vcczar said:

Here's another 2020 issue, along with candidate positions. Please let me know if you think I should amend anything. 

FL: Raise income tax in a highly progressive tax system. Eliminate corporate loop holes [Sanders]

L: Make the tax system more progressive by increasing the marginal tax rate on the wealthy. Reform corporate tax system. [Garcetti, Warren, Newsom, Cuomo, Moulton]

CL: Raise taxes on the rich, reduce taxes for the middle class, reform corporate tax [Biden, McAuliffe, O'Malley, Chafee, KHarris, Castro, Gabbard, Steyer, Booker, Gillibrand, HClinton, ShBrown, Heinrich, Schultz, Grayson, Franken, Buttigieg]

C: Leave income tax as it presently is. Keep progressive tax. Remove small hidden tax, like the marriage tax. [Edwards, Bullock]

CR: Reduce corporate and income tax moderately [Kasich, Graham, Rubio, Martinez, Huntsman, Collins]

R: Major tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations; trickle down economics [Trump, Paul, Cotton, Sasse]

FR: Single rate flat tax for everyone; low tax rate for corporations [Cruz]

Trump believes in the myth that trickle-down is a sound, workable, or even rational economic policy? I had a lot of doubts and criticisms about his platform in general, but I didn't know that one and have lost yet another measure of respect for his competence as President.

7 hours ago, Patine said:

Trump believes in the myth that trickle-down is a sound, workable, or even rational economic policy? I had a lot of doubts and criticisms about his platform in general, but I didn't know that one and have lost yet another measure of respect for his competence as President.

Here in the US it has worked before and barring special occasions like economic depressions can work.

https://www.hks.harvard.edu/news-events/publications/impact-newsletter/archives/autumn-2009/trickle-down-economics-revisited

11 hours ago, Patine said:

Yes, he campaigned on it, and Clinton called his economic plan "Trumped Up Trickle Down." If you Google Trump and Trickle Down, you'll see a lot of news regarding it. 

Far right should be to eliminate the national income tax in favor of a sales tax or other FairTax proposals, which is what Rand wanted. Cruz wanted a flat tax but that seems to be an idea that is gradually getting more popular, so I'd say it's right wing rather than far right. Far right would be the aforementioned sales taxes (or, if we really want to go far, bring it back to 1912 with only tariffs).

1 hour ago, SirLagsalott said:

Far right should be to eliminate the national income tax in favor of a sales tax or other FairTax proposals, which is what Rand wanted. Cruz wanted a flat tax but that seems to be an idea that is gradually getting more popular, so I'd say it's right wing rather than far right. Far right would be the aforementioned sales taxes (or, if we really want to go far, bring it back to 1912 with only tariffs).

Thanks, I'll consider this. Good feedback. 

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, SirLagsalott said:

Actually, Rand proposed a flat tax with no income under $24k (I believe that is what it was) taxed.  Huckabee was for the FairTax.

4 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Actually, Rand proposed a flat tax with no income under $24k (I believe that is what it was) taxed.  Huckabee was for the FairTax.

Oh oops. Forgot Rand Paul wanted the 14.5% Flat tax.