270soft Forum

2020 Issue: Role of Government

Here's another issue from my campaign, along with where the candidates are on this issue. Let me know if I should consider any changes. 

FL: More government is always a good thing and should be expanded to every part of a citizen's life. [Sanders]

L: Government is an activist force for good. [KHarris, Castro, Gabbard, Garcetti, Warren, Schultz, Gillibrand, ShBrown, Grayson, Newsom, Cuomo, Moulton]

CL: Government is not inherently bad or good, but plays an important role in society [Biden, McAuliffe, O'Malley, HClinton, Steyer, Booker, Heinrich, Franken, Buttigieg]

C: Government needs to be more efficient but is otherwise fine as it is. [Trump, Collins, Chafee, Bullock, Edwards]

CR: Government is not inherently bad or good, but government should be reduced and more power given to the states. [Kasich, Graham, Rubio, Martinez, Huntsman, Sasse]

R: The smaller and less active the government, the better. Local control when possible. [Paul, Cruz, Cotton]

FR: Government should only run the military, the courts, and the police. That's it. 

5 hours ago, vcczar said:

Here's another issue from my campaign, along with where the candidates are on this issue. Let me know if I should consider any changes. 

FL: More government is always a good thing and should be expanded to every part of a citizen's life. [Sanders]

L: Government is an activist force for good. [KHarris, Castro, Gabbard, Garcetti, Warren, Schultz, Gillibrand, ShBrown, Grayson, Newsom, Cuomo, Moulton]

CL: Government is not inherently bad or good, but plays an important role in society [Biden, McAuliffe, O'Malley, HClinton, Steyer, Booker, Heinrich, Franken, Buttigieg]

C: Government needs to be more efficient but is otherwise fine as it is. [Trump, Collins, Chafee, Bullock, Edwards]

CR: Government is not inherently bad or good, but government should be reduced and more power given to the states. [Kasich, Graham, Rubio, Martinez, Huntsman, Sasse]

R: The smaller and less active the government, the better. Local control when possible. [Paul, Cruz, Cotton]

FR: Government should only run the military, the courts, and the police. That's it. 

Do the holders of far-right views on this issue believe the government shouldn't have the power to issue national currency and, if so, who do they believe should (as those types tend to also detest the quasi-independent Federal Reserve)? Do they want State government-issued currencies that would, realistically, once they hit the global currency exchange market, except for the biggest and wealthiest states (of which only Texas would be among the solid Red States), probably have exchange values much in the way of most African currencies?

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Do the holders of far-right views on this issue believe the government shouldn't have the power to issue national currency and, if so, who do they believe should (as those types tend to also detest the quasi-independent Federal Reserve)? Do they want State government-issued currencies that would, realistically, once they hit the global currency exchange market, except for the biggest and wealthiest states (of which only Texas would be among the solid Red States), probably have exchange values much in the way of most African currencies?

I'm not sure. This far-right stance is from the 2016 scenario. I didn't change the wording. 

The far right stance needs to be modified to be more libertarian rather than minarchist. Maybe something along the lines of "Reduce government intervention and transfer as many powers and services to states and private industries as possible." Paul and maybe Cruz would hold the far right in that instance. 

I'll probably modify it as @SirLagsalott suggests, but I'll likely move only Rand Paul to that position. He seems to me to be a slight step beyond even Cruz for limited government; although, not as extreme as his father. 

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

I'll probably modify it as @SirLagsalott suggests, but I'll likely move only Rand Paul to that position. He seems to me to be a slight step beyond even Cruz for limited government; although, not as extreme as his father. 

I like all 3.