270soft Forum

2020 Issue: Government Spending

vcczar

Just like with immigration, I need your feedback for this issue as well. I'll list my current positions, as well as where I have the candidates currently. Candidates are rarely consistent on where they place themselves, so there may be room for debate. 

Far-left: A deficit and debt is fine. Focus on social programs and how government can better people's lives. [Sanders]

Left: Increase government spending on social programs, a deficit is acceptable for longer term gain such as the New Deal. [Castro, Garcetti, Warren, Newsom, Cuomo, Moulton]

Center-left: Focus on real priorities. More funds for military and social programs. [Biden, McAuliffe, O'Malley, Harris, Gabbard, Steyer, Booker, Gillibrand, ShBrown, Heinrich, Schultz, Grayson, HClinton, Franken, Buttigieg]

Center: Balance lowering the deficit with other priorities. No long-term deficit. [Trump, Chafee, Edwards, Bullock]

Center-right: We need to curb spending in order to balance the budget. Respect tax payer's dollars. [Kasich, Graham, Martinez, Huntsman, Sasse, Collins]

Right: A large decrease in federal spending. A balanced budget amendment to ensure fiscal management. [Cruz, Rubio, Cotton]

Far-right: Deficit spending should be outlawed as overall government spending is reduced to minimal levels. [Paul]

4 hours ago, vcczar said:

Just like with immigration, I need your feedback for this issue as well. I'll list my current positions, as well as where I have the candidates currently. Candidates are rarely consistent on where they place themselves, so there may be room for debate. 

Far-left: A deficit and debt is fine. Focus on social programs and how government can better people's lives. [Sanders]

Left: Increase government spending on social programs, a deficit is acceptable for longer term gain such as the New Deal. [Castro, Garcetti, Warren, Newsom, Cuomo, Moulton]

Center-left: Focus on real priorities. More funds for military and social programs. [Biden, McAuliffe, O'Malley, Harris, Gabbard, Steyer, Booker, Gillibrand, ShBrown, Heinrich, Schultz, Grayson, HClinton, Franken, Buttigieg]

Center: Balance lowering the deficit with other priorities. No long-term deficit. [Trump, Chafee, Edwards, Bullock]

Center-right: We need to curb spending in order to balance the budget. Respect tax payer's dollars. [Kasich, Graham, Martinez, Huntsman, Sasse, Collins]

Right: A large decrease in federal spending. A balanced budget amendment to ensure fiscal management. [Cruz, Rubio, Cotton]

Far-right: Deficit spending should be outlawed as overall government spending is reduced to minimal levels. [Paul]

A fun quote by a New Zealand Labour Party finance critic in a Shadow Cabinet (and who had aspired, but never got to be, Finance Minister) from the early '90's: "Cut spending to build up a huge surplus? What the Hell are we saving up for - this country isn't retiring and has no 'children!'" :P 

7 minutes ago, Patine said:

A fun quote by a New Zealand Labour Party finance critic in a Shadow Cabinet (and who had aspired, but never got to be, Finance Minister) from the early '90's: "Cut spending to build up a huge surplus? What the Hell are we saving up for - this country isn't retiring and has no 'children!'" :P 

That's pretty funny

37 minutes ago, Patine said:

HA HA HA.

I'm guessing there's nothing I should consider changing? I'll go on to the next issue soon, then. 

Archived