270soft Forum

Is Jerusalem the capital of Israel?

Is Jerusalem the capital of Israel?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is Jerusalem the capital of Israel?

• yes
    • no

since Jerusalem Day is coming up and Trump's referring to jerusalem as Jerusalem,Israel I decided to put up the poll.

by jerusalem I mean the old city portion fo Jerusalem.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean I guess?

59235c969992c_capture4.thumb.PNG.dfc0ace9b9a293a33eff47fd8e7a1cda.PNG

Just now, pilight said:

The UN doesn't recognize Jerusalem as the capital.  Neither does any country other than Israel.

shouldn't Israel have the right to determine it's capital?

3 minutes ago, pilight said:

The UN doesn't recognize Jerusalem as the capital.  Neither does any country other than Israel.

that and as of today Trump's administration does.

12 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

shouldn't Israel have the right to determine it's capital?

It has to be within their country.  The area of Jerusalem is in dispute.

13 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

that and as of today Trump's administration does.

We'll see if the embassy gets moved.  Currently it is in Tel Aviv, the internationally recognized capital.

Just now, pilight said:

It has to be within their country.  The area of Jerusalem is in dispute.

We'll see if the embassy gets moved.  Currently it is in Tel Aviv, the internationally recognized capital.

the new city part is not in dispute.

1 hour ago, republicaninnyc said:

since Jerusalem Day is coming up and Trump's referring to jerusalem as Jerusalem,Israel I decided to put up the poll.

by jerusalem I mean the old city portion fo Jerusalem.

There was a similar dispute during the Cold War, when East Germany declared unilaterally East Berlin as it's formal capital, when the Berlin was divided into formal occupation zones between the Four Powers (the U.S., the U.K., and France, whose zones formed West Berlin, that was not TECHNICALLY part of West Germany, and West Berliners had no votes in the Bundestag unless they had a secondary residence in West Germany - the Soviet zone, which was East Berlin), and Berlin was LEGALLY and TECHNICALLY not part of either Germany by the Four-Germany Agreement, but was administrated under the JURISDICTION of each occupying power (TECHNICALLY), a state of affairs which wasn't OFFICIALLY rescinded until Re-unification in October 1990.

Just now, Patine said:

There was a similar dispute during the Cold War, when East Germany declared unilaterally East Berlin as it's formal capital, when the Berlin was divided into formal occupation zones between the Four Powers (the U.S., the U.K., and France, whose zones formed West Berlin, that was not TECHNICALLY part of West Germany, and West Berliners had no votes in the Bundestag unless they had a secondary residence in West Germany - the Soviet zone, which was East Berlin), and Berlin was LEGALLY and TECHNICALLY not part of either Germany by the Four-Germany Agreement, but was administrated under the JURISDICTION of each occupying power (TECHNICALLY), a state of affairs which wasn't OFFICIALLY rescinded until Re-unification in October 1990.

acutally East berlin was part of the soviet zone.

Just now, republicaninnyc said:

acutally East berlin was part of the soviet zone.

Yes, exactly, but East Germany having it as it's capital violated the Four Power Agreement, and the NATO countries didn't recognize it in 1961.

Just now, Patine said:

Yes, exactly, but East Germany having it as it's capital violated the Four Power Agreement, and the NATO countries didn't recognize it in 1961.

to my knowledge Israel has not signed any such pact.

2 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

to my knowledge Israel has not signed any such pact.

Still, the city, as an entire city, is disputed. If they openly labelled and called their capital official as "West Jerusalem," I bet there wouldn't be an issue, but a man like Netanyahu seems to prefer to seek out conflict rather than prevent it. That is why, among many other things, he is my LEAST favourite PM of Israel, and I have a decent degree of familiarity with the list.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

Still, the city, as an entire city, is disputed. If they openly labelled and called their capital official as "West Jerusalem," I bet there wouldn't be an issue, but a man like Netanyahu seems to prefer to seek out conflict rather than prevent it. That is why, among many other things, he is my LEAST favourite PM of Israel, and I have a decent degree of familiarity with the list.

there's also only been like 5 prime ministers. that and if they labeled the capital as west jerusalem (called the new city) it'd cause the Govt. to collapse so Netanyahu's hands are tied even if he'd want to do that.

24 minutes ago, Patine said:

I agree with Netanyahu on most social issues it seems, but we disagree on economics (a little bit) and defense (a lot, he's a hawk while I'm more dovish)

6 minutes ago, Bruce Fischer said:

I agree with Netanyahu on most social issues it seems, but we disagree on economics (a little bit) and defense (a lot, he's a hawk while I'm more dovish)

according to what?

38 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

according to what?

His wikipedia page's description of his political views (which is why I said "it seems" in case there's something we disagree on not mentioned there). :P

The entire city of Jerusalem is the capital of Israel and should be regained as such by the US and the international community.  It is also completely part of Israel.  the US embasy should be moved to Jerusalem, and I am really hoping that Trump takes the initiative to do it.

14 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

The entire city of Jerusalem is the capital of Israel and should be regained as such by the US and the international community.  It is also completely part of Israel.  the US embasy should be moved to Jerusalem, and I am really hoping that Trump takes the initiative to do it.

Agree. This is my personal opinion please no nasty comments.

@Patine I believe such since I believe that all of Jerusalem is Israeli territory and Israel should have the right to have its capital there.

14 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

Agree. This is my personal opinion please no nasty comments.

20 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

This is the type of uncompromising, unreasonable, unproductive loggerheads attitude that Netanyahu and his supporter, and there direct opposites but analogs in groups like Hamas that is REALLY what's preventing any sort of resolution whatsoever and all peace agreements always break down.

2 minutes ago, Patine said:

This is the type of uncompromising, unreasonable, unproductive loggerheads attitude that Netanyahu and his supporter, and there direct opposites but analogs in groups like Hamas that is REALLY what's preventing any sort of resolution whatsoever and all peace agreements always break down.

well Patine the palestinians have never had sovereignty over Jerusalem and the PLO charter only mentioned Jerusalem in the '68 amendments not in the original '64 version.

(1964 version:http://www.palwatch.org/main.aspx?fi=640&doc_id=8210)