Jump to content
270soft Forum

Ross Perot


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, wolves said:

I found something interesting about Ross Perot where in June 1992, he actually led above Clinton and Bush in the polls.

Anyway, was just wondering what people on the forum thought of him.

Yep, I learned that a couple weeks ago when I watched the CNN documentary. But I thought he wasn't to shabby.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

Yep, I learned that a couple weeks ago when I watched the CNN documentary. But I thought he wasn't to shabby.

I liked that he was a credible challenge to the two-party duopoly, which I feel has overstayed it's welcome, unfairly stacked the deck in it's collective favour (arguably, unconstitutionally, in a number of areas, but since almost all judges are openly of either party, that won't float in court, which is arguably more evidence in favour of my statement), and that was become politically unhealthy for the U.S. and led to the monstrous situation of two horrid, repugnant being the only two with any real chance of winning last year. That being said, I think Perot's plan to "run the government like a business," which even most hard fiscal conservative Republicans don't typically proclaim, wouldn't have worked at all, because a government, by nature, is a completely different model of economic management than a business, but at least he was politically "refreshing" and shook up the two-party duopoly's complacency in the '90's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Patine said:

I liked that he was a credible challenge to the two-party duopoly, which I feel has overstayed it's welcome, unfairly stacked the deck in it's collective favour (arguably, unconstitutionally, in a number of areas, but since almost all judges are openly of either party, that won't float in court, which is arguably more evidence in favour of my statement), and that was become politically unhealthy for the U.S. and led to the monstrous situation of two horrid, repugnant being the only two with any real chance of winning last year. That being said, I think Perot's plan to "run the government like a business," which even most hard fiscal conservative Republicans don't typically proclaim, wouldn't have worked at all, because a government, by nature, is a completely different model of economic management than a business, but at least he was politically "refreshing" and shook up the two-party duopoly's complacency in the '90's.

My thoughts exactly

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wolves said:

I found something interesting about Ross Perot where in June 1992, he actually led above Clinton and Bush in the polls.

Anyway, was just wondering what people on the forum thought of him.

I liked Ross Perot a lot in 1992, but I was 13 during that election, so my impression was based solely on how funny and likable he was. Had I been able to vote, I probably would have voted for him. If I were me, as I am now, and not a 13 year old, and went back in time to 1992 to vote as an adult, I would vote for Clinton. Overall, I think he would have been much better at making the transition from businessman to president much better than Trump, since I think he's got a lot more common sense, intelligence, and somewhat of the right temperament. However, I think Perot's decisions to drop out of the race and then join back in is rather worrisome if that sort of action is common to him. If it were a one-time life decision to abruptly end something (something major) and then restart it, then it might not reflect much on how he would govern. I'm not quite sure how he would handle politicians, or how likely he would stick to the issues. I don't have a negative opinion of him, but the more I learn about him, the less I like his platform. I would have preferred him to a Bush 2nd term, but not to Clinton at any point.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Patine's assessment. He wasn't perfect and his withdrawal and re-entry was unfortunate (especially with the obvious BS of "the GOP wanted to hijack my daughter's wedding"). I probably would have voted for him though. He had a lot of interesting campaign techniques that we need to see more often. And he was a good debater and touched on issues the other two candidates didn't talk about enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...