Jump to content
270soft Forum

Sanders-Kasich Town Hall


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, wolves said:

Really? because I know you think Trump is immature but Kasich was a lot more childish in the way he objected to Trump. He kicked off like a baby alongside Lindsay Graham instead of actually getting on with fulfilling responsibilities he tied himself down to. If we don't hold Kasich accountable to breaking pledges and betraying the electorate because "He isn't Trump" then what kind of precedent are we setting?

Does this mean that, by following this logic further, if a one-time supporter of a Third World despot gets cold feet because the despot is going too far, the Western world intelligence forces shouldn't accept him as a defector with valuable potential aid and information against that despot (such intelligence and military do this ALL THE TIME - in fact, the old right-hand man of Kim Il-sung and the very author of the Juche Principal itself - who said he was driven to defect when Kim Il-sung "requested" he be a mentor to a then teenage Kim Jong-Il, and he knew this insufferable, arrogant, egotistical, and, by his reckoning, "stupid and unqualified" individual, was slated to be the next head of North Korea - because one of the highest-profile defectors from North Korea) and should be turned away because they have no honour or integrity about not supporting a regime they originally pledged to support?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Patine said:

and should be turned away because they have no honour or integrity about not supporting a regime they originally pledged to support?

The type of pledge that Kasich made is much different than just supporting someone. Kasich had an obligation as a politician and a member of the GOP to follow up with his pledge as a part of his job, that isn't comparable at all to some everyman on the street who supports someone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, wolves said:

The type of pledge that Kasich made is much different than just supporting someone. Kasich had an obligation as a politician and a member of the GOP to follow up with his pledge as a part of his job, that isn't comparable at all to some everyman on the street who supports someone.

Unfortunately, unlike many political parties around the world today, the Republican Party of the United States, because of the era and circumstances it was first created in in 1854, has no actual Party Charter or Constitution, and certainly not one where such rules and obligations as are being discussed are formally written and codified.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Patine said:

Unfortunately, unlike many political parties around the world today, the Republican Party of the United States, because of the era and circumstances it was first created in in 1854, has no actual Party Charter or Constitution, and certainly not one where such rules and obligations as are being discussed are formally written and codified.

But, this has nothing to do with the personal pledge made by Kasich.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

But, this has nothing to do with the personal pledge made by Kasich.

I think he's trying to say that the pledge was not binding in any official, literal way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

But, this has nothing to do with the personal pledge made by Kasich.

How many solemn pledges to the voters by various U.S. Presidents that were flagrantly broken and often not even brought up by most would be a good example number to list to make a case of why this isn't the big deal in American politics you're all making it out to be?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bruce Fischer said:

I think he's trying to say that the pledge was not binding in any official, literal way. 

Ah.  It doesn't matter if it is binding.  His integrity is still damaged by breaking the pledge.

1 minute ago, Patine said:

How many solemn pledges to the voters by various U.S. Presidents that were flagrantly broken and often not even brought up by most would be a good example number to list to make a case of why this isn't the big deal in American politics you're all making it out to be?

It isn't a big deal to some because they 1) don't care, 2) are mislead by the media, 3) blindly follow someone, etc.  But even with that, ometimes voters do hold people accountable (ex. George H. W. Bush).

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Ah.  It doesn't matter if it is binding.  His integrity is still damaged by breaking the pledge.

It isn't a big deal to some because they 1) don't care, 2) are mislead by the media, 3) blindly follow someone, etc.  But even with that, ometimes voters do hold people accountable (ex. George H. W. Bush).

That is true. But, I'm willing to bet, despite much of the venom in this thread, Kasich's long-term political prospects aren't entirely destroyed and, when he retires from politics and even passes away, this issue will NOT be the dominant part of his legacy - good and bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patine said:

That is true. But, I'm willing to bet, despite much of the venom in this thread, Kasich's long-term political prospects aren't entirely destroyed and, when he retires from politics and even passes away, this issue will NOT be the dominant part of his legacy - good and bad.

That's because many people on the thread are libertarian/Tea Party purists. I never said I was super pro-Kasich, but I respect him in the aspect of putting country before party.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SeanFKennedy said:

That's because many people on the thread are libertarian/Tea Party purists. I never said I was super pro-Kasich, but I respect him in the aspect of putting country before party.

You don't know shit. Don't open your mouth when you know NOTHING about anyone on here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jesse Ridgway said:

You don't know shit. Don't open your mouth when you know NOTHING about anyone on here.

You need to get a grip.  Everything he said in that post was 100% true.  There are many libertarians and Tea Partiers on here.  That's a fact.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jnewt said:

You need to get a grip.  Everything he said in that post was 100% true.  There are many libertarians and Tea Partiers on here.  That's a fact.

Apparently someone with only 11 posts to their name and who only joined the forums last month knows far more about the apparent political demographics of EVERYONE on these forums than any of us... :S

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Patine said:

Apparently someone with only 11 posts to their name and who only joined the forums last month knows far more about the apparent political demographics of EVERYONE on these forums than any of us... :S

Maybe he knows more about the users on this forum than you think.  The language, syntax, and tone of his few posts seem oddly reminiscient of a certain user who used to post on here that suddenly vanished a little while back...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jnewt said:

Maybe he knows more about the users on this forum than you think.  The language, syntax, and tone of his few posts seem oddly reminiscient of a certain user who used to post on here that suddenly vanished a little while back...

Either I'm out of the loop or haven't been paying enough attention. Who is this mysterious individual?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SeanFKennedy said:

That's because many people on the thread are libertarian/Tea Party purists. I never said I was super pro-Kasich, but I respect him in the aspect of putting country before party.

There are some, but there is a wide variety of opinions here.  Holding people accountable isn't a left-right issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jnewt said:

Maybe he knows more about the users on this forum than you think.  The language, syntax, and tone of his few posts seem oddly reminiscient of a certain user who used to post on here that suddenly vanished a little while back...

He was annoying and insufferable but made a pretty decent 2016 scenario that seems to have disappeared with him, unfortunately.

(He went away shortly after I joined, IIRC, but I lurked around for quite awhile before I actually signed up for an account so I know exactly who you're talking about and agree with your comparison between Johnny and Jesse)

3 hours ago, SirLagsalott said:

Either I'm out of the loop or haven't been paying enough attention. Who is this mysterious individual?

I highly doubt you want to know

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2017 at 11:54 PM, jvikings1 said:

I didn't know that was happening, but I wouldn't have watched it if I did know.  I cannot stand Kasich now.  I used to like him before the election, but his actions destroyed his credibility in my eyes.  He has no future in national politics.  He will have to stick to local politics if he wants to continue in the future.

He's still popular in Ohio.  He can run for senate and have a good chance of winning, though the timing will be tricky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, pilight said:

He's still popular in Ohio.  He can run for senate and have a good chance of winning, though the timing will be tricky.

Going to the Senate is problematic for Kasich, because his State Treasurer is already running and is already picking up key endorsements. I doubt he will withdraw should Kasich enter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SirLagsalott said:

Going to the Senate is problematic for Kasich, because his State Treasurer is already running and is already picking up key endorsements. I doubt he will withdraw should Kasich enter.

He was never going to run in 2018 anyway.  He'll finish his term as governor.  Assuming he doesn't want to run against Portman, it will be 2024 before he could make a senate run.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pilight said:

He was never going to run in 2018 anyway.  He'll finish his term as governor.  Assuming he doesn't want to run against Portman, it will be 2024 before he could make a senate run.

There's practically no chance he'll run against Portman because as far as I'm aware, their ideologies are pretty similar (center-right moderate conservatism). The only path forward for him is another Presidential run, or dropping back down to the U.S. House. That's not very likely but it's happened before with Mark Sanford and Charlie Crist.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kasich has no chance at victory in a presidential primary.  Plus, the Senate might not be a viable option either.  As @SirLagsalott stated, US House would be his best option if he wanted a future in politics.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

Kasich has no chance at victory in a presidential primary.  Plus, the Senate might not be a viable option either.  As @SirLagsalott stated, US House would be his best option if he wanted a future in politics.

I'm willing to bet the electorate will have forgotten all about Kasich's snub of Trump by the early 2020's. The modern U.S. electorate has a bad collective memory as it is, nowadays. Maybe you'll cherish this issue to your grave, but the chances of it coming up seriously for Kasich early next decade are probably a lot less than you think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Patine said:

I'm willing to bet the electorate will have forgotten all about Kasich's snub of Trump by the early 2020's. The modern U.S. electorate has a bad collective memory as it is, nowadays. Maybe you'll cherish this issue to your grave, but the chances of it coming up seriously for Kasich early next decade are probably a lot less than you think.

For a normal candidate?  Maybe

With Trump?  The voters will probably remember

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...