270soft Forum

Sanders-Kasich Town Hall

Did anyone else watch the town hall between these two? I may not agree with Kasich on a number of issues, but I do enjoy him as my governor. I would rather give him a third term then let DeWine run Ohio.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know that was happening, but I wouldn't have watched it if I did know.  I cannot stand Kasich now.  I used to like him before the election, but his actions destroyed his credibility in my eyes.  He has no future in national politics.  He will have to stick to local politics if he wants to continue in the future.

44 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I didn't know that was happening, but I wouldn't have watched it if I did know.  I cannot stand Kasich now.  I used to like him before the election, but his actions destroyed his credibility in my eyes.  He has no future in national politics.  He will have to stick to local politics if he wants to continue in the future.

I haven't followed him that closely since the primaries ended, what did he do?

I'm so sick of the thinly veiled criticism that because he's not standing with Trump that he "betrayed" voters. Sounds very authoritarian in nature...

Going on an interview I watched a few days ago, he seems to be one of the few politicians in national politics today (from either side) who has principles and follows them, even if it goes against his party. I respect that even though I typically disagree with him on policy (vehemently, on some issues).

1) He lied on his pledge.  I don't have a problem with a candidate not supporting another candidate for a reason, but Kasich was wrong in that aspect.  If Trump has attacked Kasich's wife or family, then I would have a different opinion of this action (Ex. I would have been fine with Cruz if he hadn't endorsed him.).

2) He refused to show up at the convention even though it was being held in his own state.

3) He stayed in the primaries long after he had been knocked out of contention which helped hand the nomination to Trump.

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

1) He lied on his pledge.  I don't have a problem with a candidate not supporting another candidate for a reason, but Kasich was wrong in that aspect.  If Trump has attacked Kasich's wife or family, then I would have a different opinion of this action (Ex. I would have been fine with Cruz if he hadn't endorsed him.).

2) He refused to show up at the convention even though it was being held in his own state.

3) He stayed in the primaries long after he had been knocked out of contention which helped hand the nomination to Trump.

This is FAR more integrity, honour, and grace than Trump has shown, to be honest...

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

This is FAR more integrity, honour, and grace than Trump has shown, to be honest...

I am not a fan of Trump as a person, but that is a different topic.

3 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

If Trump has attacked Kasich's wife or family, then I would have a different opinion of this action (Ex. I would have been fine with Cruz if he hadn't endorsed him.).

So you should only stand up to someone if they hurt you or your family, but let it go if they hurt others?  Come on now, you're telling on yourself...

26 minutes ago, jnewt said:

So you should only stand up to someone if they hurt you or your family, but let it go if they hurt others?  Come on now, you're telling on yourself...

Nope, but don't sign a pledge saying you will support someone if you don't intend on keeping that pledge.  That is misleading the voters and immoral.

20 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Nope, but don't sign a pledge saying you will support someone if you don't intend on keeping that pledge.  That is misleading the voters and immoral.

That pledge can't be something that it is just indestructible, though.  You shouldn't blindly support someone when you know it's not the right thing to do.  What Trump has done (attacking Cruz's wife, among other things) is immoral.  If you pledge to support someone then find out afterwards that they're a terrible person or even a criminal, then it would be immoral to NOT withdraw your pledge.  And he did intend to keep that pledge; he only went back on it when he realized Trump was not at all fit to be President.

2 hours ago, jnewt said:

That pledge can't be something that it is just indestructible, though.  You shouldn't blindly support someone when you know it's not the right thing to do.  What Trump has done (attacking Cruz's wife, among other things) is immoral.  If you pledge to support someone then find out afterwards that they're a terrible person or even a criminal, then it would be immoral to NOT withdraw your pledge.  And he did intend to keep that pledge; he only went back on it when he realized Trump was not at all fit to be President.

Right, there are reasons such if Cruz wouldn't have supported Trump.  That is nothing like the situation Kasich was in.  Again, if you think someone isn't fit to be President, don't sign the pledge in the first place.

I swear the mental gymnastics here is amazing. People are attacking him because he went against some pledge when nobody knew the things Trump would do down the road. I bet many of you don't care that Trump has gone back and lied about many of his campaign promises. Go ahead follow your master like sheep, it'll only lead to your own suffering. Meanwhile the broad majority of Americans can appreciate 2 people with opposing views who both have shown their high regard of integrity. It's the aspect of putting your country before your party.

18 minutes ago, SeanFKennedy said:

I swear the mental gymnastics here is amazing. People are attacking him because he went against some pledge when nobody knew the things Trump would do down the road.

Exactly my point.  Kasich had no idea how Trump would act in the future; he can't be expected to stay true to his pledge when he believes Trump to be a totally different person than from when he signed it.

1 hour ago, SeanFKennedy said:

I swear the mental gymnastics here is amazing. People are attacking him because he went against some pledge when nobody knew the things Trump would do down the road. I bet many of you don't care that Trump has gone back and lied about many of his campaign promises. Go ahead follow your master like sheep, it'll only lead to your own suffering. Meanwhile the broad majority of Americans can appreciate 2 people with opposing views who both have shown their high regard of integrity. It's the aspect of putting your country before your party.

Most people on this forum are not like some in the electorate.  We don't just follow what the person we like says.  Personally, I hate politicians that lie about their promises.  I didn't approve of the action against Syria especially when Trump campaigned against intervention in cases such as those.  I am not happy with the budget he signed.  Trump is definitely not my master.  If you wish to throw personally insults at people, then don't post here.  I am not someone who toes the party line or votes for someone because of their party.

1 hour ago, jnewt said:

Exactly my point.  Kasich had no idea how Trump would act in the future; he can't be expected to stay true to his pledge when he believes Trump to be a totally different person than from when he signed it.

Then don't sign the pledge.  If you are uncertain of the future then do not say that you will support someone.

2 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Most people on this forum are not like some in the electorate.  We don't just follow what the person we like says.  Personally, I hate politicians that lie about their promises.  I didn't approve of the action against Syria especially when Trump campaigned against intervention in cases such as those.  I am not happy with the budget he signed.  Trump is definitely not my master.  If you wish to throw personally insults at people, then don't post here.  I am not someone who toes the party line or votes for someone because of their party.

Then don't sign the pledge.  If you are uncertain of the future then do not say that you will support someone.

I recall the Republican primary debate moderators REALLY, REALLY pushing those pledges hard, ALMOST to the point of obstructing the debates they were moderating when candidates were uncommitted to making them...

17 minutes ago, Patine said:

I recall the Republican primary debate moderators REALLY, REALLY pushing those pledges hard, ALMOST to the point of obstructing the debates they were moderating when candidates were uncommitted to making them...

They asked it as the first question in the first debate and asked why or why not.  But, they really didn't obstruct candidates after that.

17 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

They asked it as the first question in the first debate and asked why or why not.  But, they really didn't obstruct candidates after that.

I would've given a George W. Bush answer from the 2004 election (not to a primary loyalty pledge, obviously, as he was unchallenged in that regard, but a different question at a GE debate) when asked why not - to confidently say, "because I'm going to win." :P

52 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Nobody is certain of the future.  You just have to make your decisions based on the current circumstances.  This time, the circumstances changed, and, rightfully so, his decision changed.

13 minutes ago, jnewt said:

Nobody is certain of the future.  You just have to make your decisions based on the current circumstances.  This time, the circumstances changed, and, rightfully so, his decision changed.

Over the summer I did this thing where I got to speak to some state house members.  He spoke about the tax pledge that he has been asked to sign every year.  He didn't sign it because he didn't want to put himself in a position that would cause him to violate his pledge.

21 hours ago, Patine said:

Really? because I know you think Trump is immature but Kasich was a lot more childish in the way he objected to Trump. He kicked off like a baby alongside Lindsay Graham instead of actually getting on with fulfilling responsibilities he tied himself down to. If we don't hold Kasich accountable to breaking pledges and betraying the electorate because "He isn't Trump" then what kind of precedent are we setting?