270soft Forum

Should an Independent special prosecutor be appointed to investigate ties between Trump and Russia?

Should an Independent special prosecutor be appointed to investigate ties between Trump and Russia?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should an Independent special prosecutor be appointed to investigate ties between Trump and Russia?

I voted yes because if the Comey firing was because of the reasons the White House gave it should have been done much earlier than it was.

furthermore, The leaking of info to russian diplomats is most concerning.

5 hours ago, Patine said:

Who did you have in mind? :P

How about me, I have a trenchcoat and a large magnifying glass lol.

Nah, but between firing Comey and Preet, it is evident we need an independent investigator. And it is beyond irony that the man whom chanted 'Lock Her Up" would share sensitive information to a Russian that is a target in the FBI investigation. Now I don't want a debate on Hillary and her emails, but needed to be said.

And even if nothing comes from the investigation, there will be damage. Foreign intelligence agencies will think twice on sharing information to the president. Intelligence agencies in the US will also think twice on sharing information to Trump, which will cause him to work with unclear picture of the situation. And with Trump slated to have a meeting with Putin in July, I am curious what briefings the IC will give trump from now till that date.

14 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

And it is beyond irony that the man whom chanted 'Lock Her Up" would share sensitive information to a Russian that is a target in the FBI investigation.

There is no evidence of this except for a news report that the administration says is false.

1 minute ago, pilight said:

The White House has not denied that Trump disclosed classified information to the Russians

You are right.  I misunderstood the article I read about the press briefing made by Gen. McMaster on the topic.  He was referring to the way the original story had been reported and not the rumor overall.

It depends on what the information was about.  If it was in fact about ISIS and other terrorist groups, then I don't have a problem with it if the revealing was done lawfully.  It would be helpful to work with Russia on the issue of terrorism.

18 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

You are right.  I misunderstood the article I read about the press briefing made by Gen. McMaster on the topic.  He was referring to the way the original story had been reported and not the rumor overall.

It depends on what the information was about.  If it was in fact about ISIS and other terrorist groups, then I don't have a problem with it if the revealing was done lawfully.  It would be helpful to work with Russia on the issue of terrorism.

I think, for the most part, in purpose and goal, Russia and the U.S. are effectively on the same page in terms of their intent toward the ISIS issue, except for one notable difference of opinion - who should be the head of the government of Syria when the dust settles and ISIS is defeated.

Just now, Patine said:

I think, for the most part, in purpose and goal, Russia and the U.S. are effectively on the same page in terms of their intent toward the ISIS issue, except for one notable difference of opinion - who should be the head of the government of Syria when the dust settles and ISIS is defeated.

I agree that we are on the same page.  So, I think that the US and Russia should work together because we both recognize the need to eliminate ISIS.  The issue of Syrian leadership will have to wait until ISIS has been taken care of.

The problem with waiting till after ISIS is eliminated to decide the fate of Syria is this: there is no possible way for the rebels to successfully become the legitimate government of the nation. Their territorial control is getting smaller in part due to fighting a two front war with ISIS and Syria government, and also in part due to Russian bombings when the Russians were assisting Assad. 

7 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

The problem with waiting till after ISIS is eliminated to decide the fate of Syria is this: there is no possible way for the rebels to successfully become the legitimate government of the nation. Their territorial control is getting smaller in part due to fighting a two front war with ISIS and Syria government, and also in part due to Russian bombings when the Russians were assisting Assad. 

If Assad is knocked out by military action, it will just be a re-do of Iraq.  It will also allow ISIS to gin ground in Syria.  The only way Assad could be forced to leave is if the Russians tell him to leave which cannot happen in the current state of US-Russian relations.

10 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

If Assad is knocked out by military action, it will just be a re-do of Iraq.  It will also allow ISIS to gin ground in Syria.  The only way Assad could be forced to leave is if the Russians tell him to leave which cannot happen in the current state of US-Russian relations.

Wow we agree on something

I like how people here turned this from a discussion about something so normal into a debate about Syria.

Anyway, a special prosecutor has been hired. Originally, I would have answered "Depends who is hired" as Justice Scalia said in Morrison v. Olson, there are legitimate fears about the idea of a runaway prosecutor and that means we have to hire someone who is certified, independent and above all NEUTRAL. I am thankful that someone alike that has been hired, my only issue now is that as common with special prosecutors, the investigation is usually very lengthy.

There's a huge chance that this investigation will exceed the Trump adminstration and at that point, people most likely won't care anymore. There will probably be less leaks as time goes on and things will settle down to the point where Trump adminstration can be held accountable for things that aren't Russia related. (good.) The possibility of a verdict coming after the Trump adminstration at the time when anti-Trump people who advocated for a special prosecutor don't care anymore is definitely a probability that a lot of people most likely didn't take into account.

Be careful what you wish for I guess.

12 minutes ago, wolves said:

There's a huge chance that this investigation will exceed the Trump administration

Well I'd expect the investigation to take maybe a little over 2 years, so I guess it will take longer than Trump has left in office. ;):P But then there's a chance President Pence will be implicated too, so maybe he'll resign over it in 2019 or something.

Oh crap that might mean President Paul Ryan.

Paul Ryan would be the first female President, since he's literally Ayn Rand.

11 minutes ago, Bruce Fischer said:

Well I'd expect the investigation to take maybe a little over 2 years, so I guess it will exceed the Trump Administration, now that I think about it.

:(:(:( I hope not.

I'm a semi-Trump supporter and I'd prefer Trump over a Christian Caliphate or Paul Ryan's ancapistan anyday.

32 minutes ago, wolves said:

my only issue now is that as common with special prosecutors, the investigation is usually very lengthy

With Watergate, it was a year and a half between appointment of a special prosecutor and Nixon's resignation, at which point impeachment proceedings had barely begun.  And that was with the opposing party in control of both houses of congress.

Just now, pilight said:

With Watergate, it was a year and a half between appointment of a special prosecutor and Nixon's resignation, at which point impeachment proceedings had barely begun.  And that was with the opposing party in control of both houses of congress.

Aye, still a long time for an investigation. An example I'm thinking of is Whitewater where it took from 1994 to 2000 until the investigation entirely was over.

2 hours ago, wolves said:

:(:(:( I hope not.

I'm a semi-Trump supporter and I'd prefer Trump over a Christian Caliphate or Paul Ryan's ancapistan anyday.

I'm NOT Trump supporter AT ALL, but, I do agree, Pence and Ryan are scarier to me as well...

2 hours ago, wolves said:

Aye, still a long time for an investigation. An example I'm thinking of is Whitewater where it took from 1994 to 2000 until the investigation entirely was over.

Whitewater was an investigation of complex financial dealings that were 15-20 years old at the time.  That's going to be a more difficult and time consuming investigation.

50 minutes ago, pilight said:

Whitewater was an investigation of complex financial dealings that were 15-20 years old at the time.  That's going to be a more difficult and time consuming investigation.

Another one was the Plame affair, which lasted from 2002 to 2006 and was lengthy despite the fact it was based on a new undercover operation.

12 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

the rebels arent good guys that insupport of isis in some ways infact!

35 minutes ago, pilight said:

There are no good guys in that fight.  The US would be well advised to stay out of it.

That would include the U.S. and Russia in that description - both countries have traditionally done far more harm than good when intervening directly in Third World affairs. The Cold War is a HUGE gallery of examples of this, on display, historically, for all to see.