270soft Forum

European Parliament 2019 now available

RI Democrat

On 5/10/2017 at 8:37 PM, RI Democrat said:

After working on this off and on for a long time and trying to take account of the changing European political scene, I finally have this in a form that I'd like to share. Note that this is something of an AU scenario in which the EU changes its system to resemble the German MMP system somewhat. Here is the blurb from the scenario file explaining why this is going on:

A series of crises for the European Union - including Britain's exit, Scotland's plans to leave the UK, rising nationalism, a refugee crisis, and controversial austerity measures - have set the stage for a critical European Parliamentary election. In an effort to create a more cohesive body politic and weaken the standing of extremists, European leaders have agreed to hold an early election under mixed-member proportional representation with EU-wide thresholds for obtaining party list seats, with the EU parties now allowed to share funding and resources across national borders. Each party is required to put forth a candidate for Commission President again, with numerous current and former heads of government in the running along with some other prominent pan-European figures.

I had to do quite a bit of educated guessing, particularly when it comes to issue stances and what to do with parties that are non-aligned IRL, so please let me know if you think I'm off the mark or if you have suggestions in general.

European Union - 2019.zip

you should remove scotland.

• 3 years later...

I've been thinking about redoing this scenario, this time using PM4I with the popular vote feature turned on and an Excel sheet to calculate seats based on the number of votes in each region. It wouldn't perfectly duplicate the EU's actual system for electing MEPs, but it would be closer, and I would also update the leadership candidates and background so that the UK is still participating at the time of the vote (as indeed they did IRL). Would people be interested in giving it a shot if I do that?

10 hours ago, RI Democrat said:

I've been thinking about redoing this scenario, this time using PM4I with the popular vote feature turned on and an Excel sheet to calculate seats based on the number of votes in each region. It wouldn't perfectly duplicate the EU's actual system for electing MEPs, but it would be closer, and I would also update the leadership candidates and background so that the UK is still participating at the time of the vote (as indeed they did IRL). Would people be interested in giving it a shot if I do that?

This sounds quite interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing how this experiment turns out.. Although I'm still planning a lot of projects by outright K4E, despite "novelty fiends," and "port demanders," around here. I also have CI and PM and Presidential scenarios of various sorts planned too on my large bucket list - but my K4E plans remain as such until @admin_270 takes seriously the NEED for a decent gain engine that does non-FPTP/Australian legislative scenario election types of various sorts.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finished creating all the regions and percentages, based roughly on the RL results of the 2019 EU election. I did have to take some liberties with the parties, since some countries had multiple parties/lists running under the same EU affiliate, and obviously the PMI system can't accommodate that. The main problem I'm running into is that the RL formulas used to apportion seats are actually pretty complicated and not the sort of thing that I can easily convert into an Excel formula. If I use a simpler formula, such as just multiplying the percentage that each party wins by the number of seats contested and rounding to the nearest, the total number of seats awarded often does not add up to the RL totals because of rounding. I can minimize - but not entirely eliminate - this problem by simply doing one calculation awarding seats based on the EU-wide percentages of the vote instead of a separate calculation for each country, thus keeping the total number of seats at or near the real-life total of 750. But this removes the principle of "degressive proportionality" whereby the smaller nations get a slightly disproportionate number of seats, which is how it works IRL.

(I'm also not sure if players would have the patience to enter separate totals for each country or region into the Excel sheet - it would be something like 30+ rows of data to be entered when you take into account the splitting of certain larger countries - specifically Germany, France, the UK, Spain, and Poland - into subregions in the existing map.)

As for simply sticking with K4E, that would take a *lot* of guesswork when it comes to individual constituencies, percentages, and population figures. That sort of information is extremely difficult to find for EU elections, where often the only available results are in other languages and either (1) reported nationwide or (2) reported by regions that are not even close to being equal in size.

Would people be OK with a somewhat alternate-universe scenario where the seats are simply determined by multiplying each party's percentage by 750 and rounding to the nearest? I don't want to just throw away the work I've done, but I'm not sure what else to do with it at this point.

1 hour ago, RI Democrat said:

I've finished creating all the regions and percentages, based roughly on the RL results of the 2019 EU election. I did have to take some liberties with the parties, since some countries had multiple parties/lists running under the same EU affiliate, and obviously the PMI system can't accommodate that. The main problem I'm running into is that the RL formulas used to apportion seats are actually pretty complicated and not the sort of thing that I can easily convert into an Excel formula. If I use a simpler formula, such as just multiplying the percentage that each party wins by the number of seats contested and rounding to the nearest, the total number of seats awarded often does not add up to the RL totals because of rounding. I can minimize - but not entirely eliminate - this problem by simply doing one calculation awarding seats based on the EU-wide percentages of the vote instead of a separate calculation for each country, thus keeping the total number of seats at or near the real-life total of 750. But this removes the principle of "degressive proportionality" whereby the smaller nations get a slightly disproportionate number of seats, which is how it works IRL.

(I'm also not sure if players would have the patience to enter separate totals for each country or region into the Excel sheet - it would be something like 30+ rows of data to be entered when you take into account the splitting of certain larger countries - specifically Germany, France, the UK, Spain, and Poland - into subregions in the existing map.)

As for simply sticking with K4E, that would take a *lot* of guesswork when it comes to individual constituencies, percentages, and population figures. That sort of information is extremely difficult to find for EU elections, where often the only available results are in other languages and either (1) reported nationwide or (2) reported by regions that are not even close to being equal in size.

Would people be OK with a somewhat alternate-universe scenario where the seats are simply determined by multiplying each party's percentage by 750 and rounding to the nearest? I don't want to just throw away the work I've done, but I'm not sure what else to do with it at this point.

Go for it! Alt- Unis are super fun to play so I approve!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 5:24 AM, RI Democrat said:

What happened to this?