270soft Forum

UK Local Elections

While not widely followed, I thought I would create a thread where the implications of the local elections that are being held today can be discussed.

According to LBC, 40% of the UKIP vote has gone to the Conservatives.  This means that the Conservatives will probably pick up quite a few local UKIP seats.  It will also help in competitive seats against the Labor and Lib Dems.  This local election might have some implications for the future elections, especially the June general election.  It seems like the Conservative Party is becoming more Eurosceptic.  As a result, many UKIP voters are returning to the Conservative Party.  This might be the first step towards a reunification.

40 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

While not widely followed, I thought I would create a thread where the implications of the local elections that are being held today can be discussed.

According to LBC, 40% of the UKIP vote has gone to the Conservatives.  This means that the Conservatives will probably pick up quite a few local UKIP seats.  It will also help in competitive seats against the Labor and Lib Dems.  This local election might have some implications for the future elections, especially the June general election.  It seems like the Conservative Party is becoming more Eurosceptic.  As a result, many UKIP voters are returning to the Conservative Party.  This might be the first step towards a reunification.

I have an interest in the Cornish County Council elections, and, if I ever did an English local-level election, it would probably be there. It has a distinction from the rest of English local government councils in that it has two Celtic Nationalist/Autonomist Parties allies to Plaid Cymru, the SNP, Mec Vanin, Sinn Feinn, and the Breton Democratic Union - those being Mebyon Kernow, a left-leaning party pushing for autonomy and a home rule assembly like Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland currently have, and the Cornish Nationalist Party, a right-wing party agitating for outright independence. Despite these two parties, the Cornwall County currently has a Conservative majority, but a very slim one.

22 minutes ago, Patine said:

I have an interest in the Cornish County Council elections, and, if I ever did an English local-level election, it would probably be there. It has a distinction from the rest of English local government councils in that it has two Celtic Nationalist/Autonomist Parties allies to Plaid Cymru, the SNP, Mec Vanin, Sinn Feinn, and the Breton Democratic Union - those being Mebyon Kernow, a left-leaning party pushing for autonomy and a home rule assembly like Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland currently have, and the Cornish Nationalist Party, a right-wing party agitating for outright independence. Despite these two parties, the Cornwall County currently has a Conservative majority, but a very slim one.

I actually just learned about those parties 2 days ago while looking into the local politics in the UK.

3 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I actually just learned about those parties 2 days ago while looking into the local politics in the UK.

Prince Charles himself has a vested interest, personally, in whether or not the Cornish national parties gain any success or traction, believe it or not. He is not only the Heir Apparent and the Prince of Wales, but also the Duke of Cornwall, and, unlike the other Royal Duchies (Edinburgh, Lancaster, York, Cambridge, etc.), the Duchy of Cornwall has actual real properties and for-profit business interests of significantly large value whose propriety is attached to the actual title...

Unfortunately, UKIP was destroyed in the results announced so far.  They defended 0 seats as of now and only gained one from labor.  Most of the votes that left and the seats lost went to the Tories.  Based on the local results, the BBC is predicting the Tories to have about 40 seats above the majority and UKIP will get 0.  Labor was wrecked in these elections as well which doesn't play well for the general election.  The SNP lost a couple seats but was largely even which might be good for the general election.

53 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Unfortunately, UKIP was destroyed in the results announced so far.  They defended 0 seats as of now and only gained one from labor.  Most of the votes that left and the seats lost went to the Tories.  Based on the local results, the BBC is predicting the Tories to have about 40 seats above the majority and UKIP will get 0.  Labor was wrecked in these elections as well which doesn't play well for the general election.  The SNP lost a couple seats but was largely even which might be good for the general election.

Wait, wait, these numbers seem too small. There's THOUSANDS of local seats across the various local councils throughout the UK...

3 hours ago, Patine said:

Wait, wait, these numbers seem too small. There's THOUSANDS of local seats across the various local councils throughout the UK...

I should have been more clear.  I was referring to the snap election.  They were making predictions based on the results of the local election.