270soft Forum

French Election Coverage

8 hours ago, Patine said:

Obviously, it's you who fails to understand. The "hierarchy" you speak doesn't exist in the way you may view it. The religion had already split in a permanent way in the days of the first Caliphate immediately after Mohammed's death, less than a century thereafter, when the events that led to the division of the Sunni and Shia sects, a division that has led to numerous wars, massacres, religious suppressions, and other such actions being done throughout Islamic history between Moslem communities. Also, jurisprudence and leadership are highly disputed. Islamic scholars, like all scholars, are a very proud, opinionated, divisive, and dissenting, and have argued and bickered about (and triggered wars) their disagreements. Also, no man was been recognized by even a majority of Moslems in the role of a Caliph since the Middle Ages, and the Obadhi sect of Oman and Zanzibar (which is a completely separate sect from Sunni, Shia, Sufi, and several others) has, in it's own disavowed the need or the legitimacy of a Caliph in the modern day. And there's many other examples I could give of the utter lack of unity and "hierarchy" that truly exists in modern Islam as a whole.

I get that Islam is without a hierarchy. In that sense it is similar to Protestant Christianity. However the great majority of muslims are Sunni which is an orthodox branch of Islam.

If a fatwā does not break new ground, then it is simply called a ruling - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatwa

I think that we'd only get more knowledgeable if we get to know what prominent Islamic scholars has ruled on the topic of marriage age.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic