270soft Forum

French Election Coverage

3 hours ago, wolves said:

There's no bother in caring for this because the inevitable loss of Le Pen only strengthens her in 2022, and her popular policies would guarantee her reelection in 2022 too so.

This is just a proxy election, no more, no less.

Polling has a terrible record in France.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, republicaninnyc said:

Polling has a terrible record in France.

Aye it does, 2012 was a lot closer than they estimated, and 2007 was pretty off, 2002 too.

I honestly don't mind what happens tomorrow, just seems crazy that french people are still electing the status quo, they've had above 10% unemployment since the 80s and horrible economic growth too.

5 minutes ago, wolves said:

Aye it does, 2012 was a lot closer than they estimated, and 2007 was pretty off, 2002 too.

I honestly don't mind what happens tomorrow, just seems crazy that french people are still electing the status quo, they've had above 10% unemployment since the 80s and horrible economic growth too.

2002 was a proxy election the margin of victory was huge

2 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

2002 was a proxy election the margin of victory was huge

2002 was an election that set in place the fall of Marine's father and the slotting of her into the seat of leader of the party which has obviously made the party into the force it was.

I guess it was a proxy election in that way, the way I'm using proxy election is saying that it's an election that doesnt really matter because the real election will come in 5 years time.

I am sticking to my original figure of 60-40 in favor of Macron.  But, I will give 3 points in either direction (down from 5).  The EU will be temporarily propped up by Merkel, I mean Macron's, victory, but it will hurt the EU in the long run with Le Pen winning in 5 years and France leaving the EU, if it is still around.

16 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Rural polls are closed and the polls in the cities should close soon.  Then, we will get an exit poll.

emanuel macron projected to win 64% of the vote based on exit polls.

13 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

emanuel macron projected to win 64% of the vote based on exit polls.

These will probably be off by a little bit.  The official exit polls will be released once the city polls close in a few minutes.

It seems like those outside polls where actually on.  But, we will have to wait and see what the actual results are.

32 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

It's official Emanuel Macron has won.

No it's not, its estimated. His Wikipedia article has just gone from being president-elect to not again. Remember the US elections? It could all change.

Just now, LegolasRedbard said:

No it's not, its estimated. His Wikipedia article has just gone from being president-elect to not again. Remember the US elections? It could all change.

Google has stayed stable as have the popular vote counts

It isn't technically official because the ballot counts haven't been reported yet.  But, Le Pen has called Macron and conceded.

Just now, jvikings1 said:

It isn't technically official because the ballot counts haven't been reported yet.  But, Le Pen has called Macron and conceded.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if she won after all that!

Just now, jvikings1 said:

it'd be hilarious if Le Pen withdrew the concession and demanded recounts.

Well it's pretty much official now. Emmanuel Macron is going to become President if the polls are accurate. Le Pen has already begun the process of re-branding the FN.

1 minute ago, LegolasRedbard said:

Well it's pretty much official now. Emmanuel Macron is going to become President if the polls are accurate. Le Pen has already begun the process of re-branding the FN.

This is what watching this election was like 

I really really hope we have a sort of thing here as we did in the UK in '92 with the 'Shy Tory Factor'. It's unlikely, but I hope so. Let's remember that Macron supporters set a police officer on fire during the May Day riots