270soft Forum

French Election Coverage

https://www.c-span.org/video/?427942-1/french-presidential-candidates-face-debate

https://www.c-span.org/video/?427965-1/french-presidential-election-runoff-results

If anyone wishes to watch the French debate, as I am doing right now, and/or wants to watch the results on Sunday, as I will do, then you can find them here.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?427942-1/french-presidential-candidates-face-debate

https://www.c-span.org/video/?427965-1/french-presidential-election-runoff-results

If anyone wishes to watch the French debate, as I am doing right now, and/or wants to watch the results on Sunday, as I will do, then you can find them here.

N'pas parlez j'em Francais... :(

14 hours ago, Patine said:

N'pas parlez j'em Francais... :(

This, and C-SPAN's video player suuucks, especially on mobile, but thanks anyway. I'll be watching this election intently

1 hour ago, Bruce Fischer said:

This, and C-SPAN's video player suuucks, especially on mobile, but thanks anyway. I'll be watching this election intently

Ya, but it is better than nothing.  It is probably because it was a stream from France rather than directly from C-SPAN.  When I watched the debate, I had it going on another tab and didn't watch the video for the most part.

Well, I hope that Marine Le Pen wins, however I see that the path for her is very narrow..... Will be watching the results Sunday Afternoon!

This is a weird election because Le Pen is on the right when it comes to the EU, immigrants, refugees, and taxation on businesses.  But, she is to the left of Macron on things such as labor issues.

My favorite part of the debate was when Le Pen said that France would have a female leader either her or Merkel.

30 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

This is a weird election because Le Pen is on the right when it comes to the EU, immigrants, refugees, and taxation on businesses.  But, she is to the left of Macron on things such as labor issues.

My favorite part of the debate was when Le Pen said that France would have a female leader either her or Merkel.

If LePen is elected, she's be the first female head-of-state France has EVER had, going back to Hugh Capet's election by the West Frankish Dukes to end the instability in the region and become the first King of France in the 10th Century...

Thank you!!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/an-army-of-women-quietly-backs-frances-far-right-would-be-president/ar-BBA6UeW?li=AA4Zpp

Here is an interesting article on the Marine Le Pen and possible "shadow voters."  There will probably be voters like we saw in Brexit and the US Presidential election that vote for Le Pen but says they will vote for Macron in the polls.  While probably not enough, the election will probably be closer than some polls suggest.  Additionally, I agree with Nigel Farage.  If she looses on Sunday, which will probably happen, she will win in 5 years.  The FN will only continue to grow as long as it stays outside of the government.  Plus, they appeal most to younger voters which will also result in a continued growing of support for them.

As much as I disagree with it, La Pen has more youth appeal than most think. As part of those language exchange programs, a friend of mine has kept up with a few different classes of French students studying English. The overwhelmingly opinion of the people he has met, even the liberal ones, is that Macron is a do nothing who will harm the French workers and roll over. While it is anecdotal evidence, it does show that some portion of students see La Pen as the lesser of all evils in the political system, especially in regards to Macron.

30 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

As much as I disagree with it, La Pen has more youth appeal than most think. As part of those language exchange programs, a friend of mine has kept up with a few different classes of French students studying English. The overwhelmingly opinion of the people he has met, even the liberal ones, is that Macron is a do nothing who will harm the French workers and roll over. While it is anecdotal evidence, it does show that some portion of students see La Pen as the lesser of all evils in the political system, especially in regards to Macron.

I was surprised when I found this out myself, but it does make sense.  The issues that Le Pen leans towards the left on make her appeal to the younger generation.

35 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

I think it's a bit overstated, though I suppose we'll find out on Sunday. Most young people - 30% - voted for Mélenchon; those who did will most likely not vote in the second round. Le Pen was the second, at 21%, and Macron was just behind her, at 18%. Regardless, this election will probably not be decided by young people, as they only make up 12% of the electorate (source for all this)

3 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-election-macron-leaks-idUSKBN1812AZ

Macron better hope there isn't something compromising in these emails.

Regardless of whether there's anything compromising, I think the moral of the story for the past year or so of politics is NEVER, EVER USE EMAIL IF YOU PLAN ON, OR ARE CURRENTLY, RUNNING FOR OFFICE. It never works out well. :P

55 minutes ago, CalebsParadox said:

24 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I was surprised when I found this out myself, but it does make sense.  The issues that Le Pen leans towards the left on make her appeal to the younger generation.

12 minutes ago, Bruce Fischer said:

I think it's a bit overstated, though I suppose we'll find out on Sunday. Most young people - 30% - voted for Mélenchon; those who did will most likely not vote in the second round. Le Pen was the second, at 21%, and Macron was just behind her, at 18%. Regardless, this election will probably not be decided by young people, as they only make up 12% of the electorate (source for all this)

Regardless of whether there's anything compromising, I think the moral of the story for the past year or so of politics is NEVER, EVER USE EMAIL IF YOU PLAN ON, OR ARE CURRENTLY, RUNNING FOR OFFICE. It never works out well. :P

I think the BIGGEST problem in many First World Countries is that voters really deserve a system of choosing their leaders that does not keep amounting (or very often does) to "pick-your-poison" scenarios, as opposed to ending up with real, quality, competent, and ethical leaders who are truly worthy of their offices. This election in France, and the election last year in the U.S., are just two of many, many such examples...

Just now, Patine said:

I think the BIGGEST problem in many First World Countries is that voters really deserve a system of choosing their leaders that does not keep amounting (or very often does) to "pick-your-poison" scenarios, as opposed to ending up with real, quality, competent, and ethical leaders who are truly worthy of their offices. This election in France, and the election last year in the U.S., are just two of many, many such examples...

Running for any kind of remotely important office means that every single aspect of your life, both past and present, is endlessly analysed and criticized to an absurd degree. You're constantly watched by your fans and your enemies, 24/7, sometimes (in the case of the American presidential elections, at least) for over a year. What sane, rational, decent person would want that? They'd have to be extremely strong willed to withstand that kind of scrutiny, because if they even have the smallest of flaws, it'll be blown out of proportion and used against them endlessly (Unless, like Trump, there's so much wrong with you that no one can focus on just one bad thing for more than 30 seconds). Watching people get absolutely dragged through the mud for a year and a half every election season is probably a massive turnoff for prospective candidates. This, not anything inherent in the process of choosing politicians, is what I think drives a lot of good, decent people to opt against running for Congress or the Presidency unless they are very strong willed and are willing to withstand that kind of scrutiny.

There are other factors too, obviously. One of the major ones being that pretty much only the people on the crazy ends of the political spectrum bother to vote in primaries (again, probably specific to presidential elections in the US) and that no one (in the US) seems to care about local elections or midterms.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Fischer said:

Running for any kind of remotely important office means that every single aspect of your life, both past and present, is endlessly analysed and criticized to an absurd degree. You're constantly watched by your fans and your enemies, 24/7, sometimes (in the case of the American presidential elections, at least) for over a year. What sane, rational, decent person would want that? They'd have to be extremely strong willed to withstand that kind of scrutiny, because if they even have the smallest of flaws, it'll be blown out of proportion and used against them endlessly (Unless, like Trump, there's so much wrong with you that no one can focus on just one bad thing for more than 30 seconds). Watching people get absolutely dragged through the mud for a year and a half every election season is probably a massive turnoff for prospective candidates. This, not anything inherent in the process of choosing politicians, is what I think drives a lot of good, decent people to opt against running for Congress or the Presidency unless they are very strong willed and are willing to withstand that kind of scrutiny.

There are other factors too, obviously. One of the major ones being that pretty much only the people on the crazy ends of the political spectrum bother to vote in primaries (again, probably specific to presidential elections in the US) and that no one (in the US) seems to care about local elections or midterms.

I would say the younger voters do not care, but the older voters get out to vote which skew the results.

There's no bother in caring for this because the inevitable loss of Le Pen only strengthens her in 2022, and her popular policies would guarantee her reelection in 2022 too so.

This is just a proxy election, no more, no less.

3 minutes ago, wolves said:

There's no bother in caring for this because the inevitable loss of Le Pen only strengthens her in 2022, and her popular policies would guarantee her reelection in 2022 too so.

This is just a proxy election, no more, no less.

I agree and so does the awesome Nigel Farage from your home country.

53 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I agree and so does the awesome Nigel Farage from your home country.

Nigel Farage is honestly the only politician I have ever seen who feels like he is actually interacting with you instead of sounding like a lifeless technocrat.

I met him once, hes a nice guy.

15 hours ago, wolves said:

Nigel Farage is honestly the only politician I have ever seen who feels like he is actually interacting with you instead of sounding like a lifeless technocrat.

I met him once, hes a nice guy.

He reminds me of Rand Paul.  When I hear him speak, it always seems like he actually cares about what he speaks about.  I hope to meet him some day because he is my favorite European politician.  In fact, I stream his radio show on LBC when I have the opportunity.

I love this headline I saw in an Israeli newspaper about the french debate on the news app (I change my language to Hebrew which I know a bit of now and then) that said

"לה פן למקרון בעימות: "אל תשחק במורה ותלמיד"" which means in English  "Le Pen to Macron during the debate :Don't play teacher and student".

16 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

I love this headline I saw in an Israeli newspaper about the french debate on the news app (I change my language to Hebrew which I know a bit of now and then) that said

"לה פן למקרון בעימות: "אל תשחק במורה ותלמיד"" which means in English  "Le Pen to Macron during the debate :Don't play teacher and student".

That was my favourite part of the debate. I feel like she should have questioned his policies a bit more though, his policy about limiting classrooms to 12 pupils to create jobs is absolutely ridiculous and will just cost schools more money as they will need to build rooms for left over students.

4 minutes ago, wolves said:

That was my favourite part of the debate. I feel like she should have questioned his policies a bit more though, his policy about limiting classrooms to 12 pupils to create jobs is absolutely ridiculous and will just cost schools more money as they will need to build rooms for left over students.

here with the overcrowded classes in NYC that may not be as dumb.It's still bad policy but it may be a bit more logical here.

Just now, republicaninnyc said:

here with the overcrowded classes in NYC that may not be as dumb.It's still bad policy but it may be a bit more logical here.

It's fine limiting classes to say, 20-30 students but 12 students is just ridiculous. It'll crumble the social climate for schooling, force schools to build more classrooms to deal with the excess (with money it most likely doesnt have) and then on top of that, the school would need to hire more teachers which costs even more money.

Macron seems like hes going to be a failed project, I go back to what I said previously.

3 hours ago, wolves said:

There's no bother in caring for this because the inevitable loss of Le Pen only strengthens her in 2022