270soft Forum

Worst Laws Ever Passed by Congress

Which of the following are the 5 worst laws ever passed by Congress? PICK ONLY 5  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Pick FIVE of the following, and only five, please:

• Espionage Act of 1917 (censured some free speech in WWI)
    • Indian Removal Act of 1830
    • Public Law 503 of 1942 (Japanese internment camps, etc.)
    • Prohibition Act of 1919
    • Fugitive Slave Act of 1850
    • Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798
    • Patriot Act of 2001
    • Federal Reserve Act of 1913 (established the Fed)
    • Revenue Act of 1913 (established an income tax)
    • Tariff Act of 1930 (raised the tariff considerably, arguably contributing to the Great Depression)
    • Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 (began "trickle-down" Reagenomics)
    • Obamacare 2010
    • Civil Rights Act of 1964
    • The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution of 1964 (authorized LBJ to go to war w/ Vietnam without a formal declaration)
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Am I missing any laws passed by Congress that are as controversial as those above?

• Yes (please post them below)
    • No, or I can't think of any at the moment.
  3. 3. What or who is most at fault for our worst laws?

Should add

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2011, allowing American citizens to be held indefinitely based on suspicion of terrorist activities.  In effect, suspending the rights of due process and habeas corpus.

Most at fault for our worst laws is the Military/Industrial complex, just as Eisenhower warned.

Wait there are still people who view the Civil Rights Act of 1964 unfavorably?

I also would've picked the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution and the Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 if I were allowed to; the Fugitive Slave Act is by far the worst in my opinion, followed by the Indian Removal Act and Public Law 503 (even though I love FDR, Japanese internment is a scar on our nation's history and a case where FDR succumbed to fear - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror, to quote... FDR). The government's past encroachments on the First Amendment are also terrible in my opinion.

Maybe older Americans, or Libertarians. Older Americans for the obvious reason, but Libertarians are a bit more complicated. They tend to view CRA as either social engineering, or that Federal Government regulating private businesses. The latter part tend to be pure libertarians, and view any involvement within business from the government as encroachment on their freedom. It is why Goldwater voted against the 1964 ACT, yet the south assumed he voted no because of another reason. 

1 hour ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

Maybe older Americans, or Libertarians. Older Americans for the obvious reason, but Libertarians are a bit more complicated. They tend to view CRA as either social engineering, or that Federal Government regulating private businesses. The latter part tend to be pure libertarians, and view any involvement within business from the government as encroachment on their freedom. It is why Goldwater voted against the 1964 ACT, yet the south assumed he voted no because of another reason. 

True, still don't understand it and don't agree but I respect the libertarian point of view

1 hour ago, CalebsParadox said:

It seems like half the time these polls come up, voters see the question and think "What answer choices do I personally like/not like?" Without thinking about its relevance to the question. 

Also true. For example, I don't like paying income tax, but I understand it's a necessary part of living in a country that provides almost any service to me or any other citizen. The pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't agree with it either, but I see where they are coming from. Though, I highly doubt anyone in the US views it as THE worst piece of legislation passed within Congress.

Also, I am surprised that  the Taft-Hartley Act(Labor Management Relations Act of 1947) is not a possible answer choice, considering it began weakening labor unions in the US.

Sorry I picked accidentally more than five I think... Tariff and FED can be ignored.

• 3 months later...

I chose

1.Gulf of tonkin resolution - A resolution that got us into a war based on a fabricated attack.

2.Public law 503 for obvious reasons

3.Espionage act, again for obvious reasons

4.The alien and sedition acts I oppose for the same reason I oppose the espionage act

5.The patriot act gives the Govt. much more power than it needs.

The National Labor Relations act is also very controversial.

@vcczar

as an African-American i truly wonder why 4 people  selected the civil rights act 

1 minute ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

as an African-American i truly wonder why 4 people  selected the civil rights act 

The act was relatively vague in some places for  example granting exceptions to private institutions while not defining what it meant.

1 minute ago, NYrepublican said:

Koneke because he's a white nationalist that's all I know

I'd like to know @Reagan04's and @victorraiders reasons to vote against it though.

I'm happy @vcczar included it,it shows that there still  Extreme bigotry ,and too your other comment  it wasn't perfect but it established what the equality is today 

Just now, NYrepublican said:

I'd like to know @Reagan04's and @victorraiders reasons to vote against it though.

As Patine stated earlier, I do not believe that the government should be regulating who businesses serve, Titles II and VII are what get me especially, I believe that a property owner should be allowed to dictate who he/she chooses to serve or accommodate on their property. Same with hiring practices, if an inner-city business owned by black folk only wanted to serve or hire black folks, that is fine by me, they have every right to do so. I am very Libertarian on this issue.

2 minutes ago, TheMiddlePolitical said:

I'm happy @vcczar included it,it shows that there still  Extreme bigotry ,and too your other comment  it wasn't perfect but it established what the equality is today 

Koneke is a totally different story from Reagan04 and victorraiders

7 minutes ago, NYrepublican said:

I noticed he selected the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and, furthermore, did not select the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850...

18 minutes ago, President Garrett Walker said:

I noticed he selected the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and, furthermore, did not select the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850...

Yes I would have chosen the FSA, however, as it was repealed, or rather nullified, I opted to go with those whose ill effects are still felt.

Just now, NYrepublican said:

someone had the patience to write up 35 articles of impeachment against Bush

https://www.congress.gov/bill/110th-congress/house-resolution/1258/text

Yep, Ol' Denny K.