270soft Forum

#14 Franklin Pierce Legacy

#14 Franklin Pierce Legacy  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following Pierce decisions/events are positives for his legacy?

• Refused to remove Southern extremist cabinet members, when moderates in his party complain. He kept his entire cabinet for all 4 years.
    • Signed the Kansas-Nebraska Act aimed to allow the people of a territory to decide the slavery status of the state
    • Sided with the pro-Slavery forces during "Bleeding Kansas," removing the pro-abolitionist governor for a pro-slavery official
    • Purchased a strip of land from Mexico ("Gadsden Purchase") in preparation for the transcontinental railroad
    • Attempted to purchase Cuba as another slave state, a manifesto, which was leaked, seemed to imply Pierce was willing to "take control" of the island by force
    • Expelled the British ambassador for attempting to recruit former British immigrants to fight in the Crimean War
    • Used the US military to keep Britain from influencing Central America
    • Recognized a dictatorship in Nicaragua, led by former American slaveholder, who wished to make Nicaragua a slave state in the Union
    • Went against party tradition and allowed funding for internal improvements out west to prepare for the transcontinental railroad
    • Improved the military by building modernized frigates for the navy and by having a new army training manual created
    • Created the US Camel Corps, which didn't last very long
    • Apache, Navajo and Cayuse wars continued, but Cayuse ended in victory at the end of his term.
    • No major wars
    • Reduced the national debt by 83%
    • Outside of railroads and the Atlantic Cable, refused to fund most internal improvements (roads, canals, bridges, etc.)
    • Used federal troops to enforced the Fugitive Slave Act
    • Four new Native American Wars began: 3rd Seminole War, Yakima War, Rogue River War, Puget Sound War
    • Had the worst veto override rate of any president with 56% of his vetoes overridden
    • He was so unpopular that he didn't get renominated by his own party
    • None of the above
  2. 2. Which president is/was a better president?

• Donald Trump
    • Franklin Pierce
  3. 3. In general, what is your opinion of Pierce's presidency?

39 minutes ago, Bruce Fischer said:

Are you suggesting the CIA hacked the campaign of Hillary Clinton, the nominee of the party the President who appointed James Clapper belonged to, so that she'd lose, then blamed it on Vladimir Putin, who's had a personal vendetta against Clinton for years AND has the hacker army to commit these types of attacks? The fact that these hackers couldn't get into the RNC computers suggests that it most certainly wasn't the CIA.

Sounds like a Mission Impossible or Jason Bourne plot in the making... :P

1 hour ago, Bruce Fischer said:

HuffPo is basically a tabloid as far as journalism quality goes and is almost liberal propaganda. Yes, it does seem that CNN and Politico are moving towards ideological extremes (with Jeffery Lord serving the same purpose on CNN as that one liberal on Fox serves, to appear to provide "ideological diversity" instead of the echo chamber newsrooms on both sides of the aisle actually are), neither are unbearably partisan yet. MSNBC is biased like Fox is biased: it depends on the show. If you watch Rachel Maddow, then yes, they're just as biased as Fox is, if all they ever had on was Bill O'Reilly or, even worse, Sean Hannity. If you watch Morning Joe or All In, however, they're still opinionated, of course, but it's like watching Shep Smith. It's still true. That said, I hate all cable news because of its tendency towards sensationalism and have little substance.

Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, and Tucker Carlson are commentators and not news reporters.  Fox has people like Bret Baier and Chris Wallace who do a pretty good job of not showing bias.

Are you suggesting the CIA hacked the campaign of Hillary Clinton, the nominee of the party the President who appointed James Clapper belonged to, so that she'd lose, then blamed it on Vladimir Putin, who's had a personal vendetta against Clinton for years AND has the hacker army to commit these types of attacks? The fact that these hackers couldn't get into the RNC computers suggests that it most certainly wasn't the CIA.

I am saying that nothing can be ruled out.  I am not sure if the Russians, the CIA, or another nation's intelligence agency perpetrated the attacks.  WikiLeaks's dump last week muddied the waters making it difficult to be sure who can be trusted.

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

I think a high credible, neutral paper has a better shot at bringing down any candidate, nominee, president or other elected official than a paper with a clear bias. It would help in a bipartisan rebuke, I think. 

I agree

5 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, and Tucker Carlson are commentators and not news reporters.  Fox has people like Bret Baier and Chris Wallace who do a pretty good job of not showing bias.

I don't love Baier but Chris Wallace is someone I respect despite ideological differences. He does a good job asking good questions without showing bias.

59 minutes ago, Patine said:

Sounds like a Mission Impossible or Jason Bourne plot in the making... :P

I agree!

2 hours ago, victor1313 said:

lol i voted negative not positive :v

@victor1313

Just to confirm. You meant to vote "negative" on Pierce, but you accidentally selected "positive"?

Another greatly underrated POTUS.  Respected his oath of office and didn't interfere in states' affairs.

@vcczar

I'm a bit curious as to who the two people who gave Pierce a thumbs-up for recognizing Walker's illegal government in Nicaragua was, as well as the one who supported backing the Pro-Slavery forces during "bleeding Kansas" and reappointing the territorial governor to suit, and the one who actually started FOUR new wars against Native Americans. These aren't legacies of Pierce's Administration, or US history, that any modern American should take pride in, at all. Not constantly apologizing for them or offering reparations or such, mind, just taking no pride in them whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Patine said:

@vcczar

I'm a bit curious as to who the two people who gave Pierce a thumbs-up for recognizing Walker's illegal government in Nicaragua was, as well as the one who supported backing the Pro-Slavery forces during "bleeding Kansas" and reappointing the territorial governor to suit, and the one who actually started FOUR new wars against Native Americans. These aren't legacies of Pierce's Administration, or US history, that any modern American should take pride in, at all. Not constantly apologizing for them or offering reparations or such, mind, just taking no pride in them whatsoever.

You should be able to click on the person icon next to the number of voters that voted on the event/decision. That icon should give you the names. As @admin_270 let's make sure we keep any criticism of a person's view--however, we might find it unfathonable--respectable. He locked the Buchanan poll a vote short, I don't want the other polls blocked as well. I may redo Buchanan at the end. 

Franklin Pierce: He would've been a fantastic modern-style US colonial dictator if he hadn't been so wasted the whole time he was president...

32 minutes ago, Take Me to La Riva said:

Franklin Pierce: He would've been a fantastic modern-style US colonial dictator if he hadn't been so wasted the whole time he was president...

I think that was mostly after he left office.  Then again many people would pick up the bottle if their son was killed in an accident on their way to inauguration.

43 minutes ago, Take Me to La Riva said:

He apparently withheld from drinking during his presidency, partially became he was severely depressed throughout it, after the death of his son. I don't think he was emotionally up to the task. It's strange that someone like Nathaniel Hawthorne was such a good friend of Pierce. Both were Democrats, but Hawthorne must have been aghast at his near-worship of the slave-holding class, even though Pierce himself lived in New England. 

2 minutes ago, vcczar said:

He apparently withheld from drinking during his presidency, partially became he was severely depressed throughout it, after the death of his son. I don't think he was emotionally up to the task. It's strange that someone like Nathaniel Hawthorne was such a good friend of Pierce. Both were Democrats, but Hawthorne must have been aghast at his near-worship of the slave-holding class, even though Pierce himself lived in New England. 

From the New England state whose official motto is, "Live Free or Die," no less... :S