270soft Forum

Map-Making Question

vcczar

@admin_270

Thanks for attaching the map template you posted today. I just remade the 1637 Massachusetts map for the 4th time, this time using your template. Can you elaborate on how to make the map work in the editor?

For instance, here are my subquestions:

- Is there a certain thickness needed for the black lines between regions?

- Can a region extend off the map, or must the blue checkerboard surround the mass of regions/the map?

- Should I fill in the regions with the light blue color?

I'm going to keep fiddling with the map-making. Hopefully, I can figure this out. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

@admin_270 @Conservative Elector 2 @Patine @jvikings1

If any of you successful map makers can tell me why it still won't recognize my regions it would be helpful. 

The black boarders are at 0 RBG, as required. There isn't a single pixel in any of the circles that isn't the light blue filler or the black boarder. This is a jpeg version so it will display in this board, but I'm using a bmp version of this as required. It's also the correct size. If I can ever get the editor to recognize these regions, I'll outline the boarder of 1637 Massachusetts around these circles, which are the various towns in 1637. 

Any helpful feedback on how to get this to work would be wonderful. I've run out of ideas of why it won't work. 

main-map-backgroundjpgversion.jpg

3 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@admin_270 @Conservative Elector 2 @Patine @jvikings1

If any of you successful map makers can tell me why it still won't recognize my regions it would be helpful. 

The black boarders are at 0 RBG, as required. There isn't a single pixel in any of the circles that isn't the light blue filler or the black boarder. This is a jpeg version so it will display in this board, but I'm using a bmp version of this as required. It's also the correct size. If I can ever get the editor to recognize these regions, I'll outline the boarder of 1637 Massachusetts around these circles, which are the various towns in 1637. 

Any helpful feedback on how to get this to work would be wonderful. I've run out of ideas of why it won't work. 

main-map-backgroundjpgversion.jpg

I am well and truly perplexed. This has yet to happen to me. At this point, try uninstalling and reinstalling PI - there may be a corruption in it's scenario editor files. I'm not sure what else to suggest - I'm a user, not a programmer (or hacker, for that matter).

6 minutes ago, Patine said:

I am well and truly perplexed. This has yet to happen to me. At this point, try uninstalling and reinstalling PI - there may be a corruption in it's scenario editor files. I'm not sure what else to suggest - I'm a user, not a programmer (or hacker, for that matter).

Can I email it to you and see if it works for you?

Okay that's really weird. If you want to email me this too, please go ahead. I can see whether it works for me or not. @vcczar 

9 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Okay that's really weird. If you want to email me this too, please go ahead. I can see whether it works for me or not. @vcczar 

Sent. I appreciate you looking at it. 

@admin_270 @Patine @Conservative Elector 2

Yeah, I think there is some error/glitch with the map-maker, which is why my Massachusetts 1637 map isn't working. I opened the working Massachusetts 2018 election that someone made, and then went to that map in the editor. Even though it works in the game (probably made pre-error perhaps), I can't click on the regions without it giving that same error message, even though it recognizes the new regions on that map when playing the game. 

If you want, you could also email it to me.  I have dealt with a few bugs myself when making my scenarios, so maybe something similar is happening.

1 hour ago, jvikings1 said:

If you want, you could also email it to me.  I have dealt with a few bugs myself when making my scenarios, so maybe something similar is happening.

Thanks! sent. 

2 hours ago, vcczar said:

@admin_270 @Patine @Conservative Elector 2

Yeah, I think there is some error/glitch with the map-maker, which is why my Massachusetts 1637 map isn't working. I opened the working Massachusetts 2018 election that someone made, and then went to that map in the editor. Even though it works in the game (probably made pre-error perhaps), I can't click on the regions without it giving that same error message, even though it recognizes the new regions on that map when playing the game. 

The map didn't work in the P4E2008 scenario editor once I actually clicked on a region, either, so I don't think it's just PI...

25 minutes ago, Patine said:

The map didn't work in the P4E2008 scenario editor once I actually clicked on a region, either, so I don't think it's just PI...

That's interesting. I wonder how people who were able to make working maps were able to get them to work? My borders are solid black, not a pixel is anyway diluted on the borders. I've checked many times over. 

That is a very weird problem.  When I draw another circle on the map, that one was detected, but the others were still messed up.  It also registers in the main region, but messes up in the sub-regions.  I would email the entire file to @admin_270 and have him look at it.

26 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

That is a very weird problem.  When I draw another circle on the map, that one was detected, but the others were still messed up.  It also registers in the main region, but messes up in the sub-regions.  I would email the entire file to @admin_270 and have him look at it.

That's really bizarre. Thanks for checking that out. 

@jvikings1

Oh, and I sent it to Anthony about 4 days ago. Still waiting for a response. The 1637 map is the main thing I'm waiting for. Once I can get a working map, I'll have the scenario out in 24 hours from receiving the map. 

I plan on doing all the election from 1632 (when they started voting on these) to 1636 as well. Then sporadic elections, including 1676 (King Phillip's War) and 1692 (Salem Witch Trial). In the 1700s, I'll include some leading up and through the Revolution. All for Massachusetts. 

I'd also like to do an election for the presidency of the Continental Congress. 

• 5 months later...

Archived