270soft Forum

Fictional Massachusetts Gubernatorial Race

I thought I'd make a historical fictional gubernatorial race, which will include famous Massachusetts individuals throughout history. Most of these will be surrogates, but some will be governors. Would anyone be interested in playing such a scenario?

30 minutes ago, vcczar said:

I thought I'd make a historical fictional gubernatorial race, which will include famous Massachusetts individuals throughout history. Most of these will be surrogates, but some will be governors. Would anyone be interested in playing such a scenario?

Will any Colonial Governors be included, or just post-Independence ones? And if Colonial Governors are included, will only Massachusetts Bay Colonial Governors be there, or Plymouth Colony (and even Dominion of New England) Governors too?

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Will any Colonial Governors be included, or just post-Independence ones? And if Colonial Governors are included, will only Massachusetts Bay Colonial Governors be there, or Plymouth Colony (and even Dominion of New England) Governors too?

I thought i had responded to this, but it looks like my reply disappeared. Yes, I'll have some of them--WInthrop, Dudley, and a couple of others. 

Sure, I am interested. 

Actually, I think I may make my Massachusetts scenario into a 1637 colonial gubernatorial election, but I'd need someone that can alter the Massachusetts map for me. 

43 minutes ago, vcczar said:

Actually, I think I may make my Massachusetts scenario into a 1637 colonial gubernatorial election, but I'd need someone that can alter the Massachusetts map for me. 

From what I can gather on the Colonial Massachusetts Bay government system, it had the General Court, who was directly elected, with two member from each town in the colony, regardless of population or wealth, and then the General Court elected both the Governor and the "upper house" (properly called the Committee of Assistants in the day) after the election, meaning those two electoral roles were not directly elected.

30 minutes ago, Patine said:

From what I can gather on the Colonial Massachusetts Bay government system, it had the General Court, who was directly elected, with two member from each town in the colony, regardless of population or wealth, and then the General Court elected both the Governor and the "upper house" (properly called the Committee of Assistants in the day) after the election, meaning those two electoral roles were not directly elected.

Yeah, I know how it worked. I would have the votes equivalent to the number of deputies to the general court. The assistants were also called magistrates. At least two of my ancestors were magistrates/assistants -- Maj. Gen. Humphrey Atherton and Maj. Simon Willard. I might have some other ancestors that were at that level. A lot of my ancestors were members of the general court or selectmen of various towns. However, this isn't too unusual for someone with early Massachusetts ancestors. 

I've done a lot of research in this area. I'm choosing the election of 1837, because it's part of the Antinomian Controversy (Anne Hutchinson). 

The "parties" or factions in this election are the:

"Liberals" with Henry Vane, the unpopular incumbent, and the only one not wishing to banish Anne Hutchinson & Co. 

"Moderate Conservatives" with Thomas Dudley, current magistrate and former governor

"Conservatives" with John Winthrop, current Lt. Gov and former governor

"Very Conservative" with John Endicott, current magistrate and former governor

I'm not quite sure what I'll actually name the parties. 

The Controversy obviously won't be the only issue in this election.