270soft Forum

41 minutes ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

so close XD yet so far. by one electoral vote LOL

2.JPG

Capture.JPG

This looks like another (though hypothetical) example of the broken, anachronistic, contemptuous-of-it's-own-electorate-yet-utterly-failed-at-it'main-design-principles electoral system in the US Presidential Elections I've been mentioning for a while now.

10 hours ago, Patine said:

This looks like another (though hypothetical) example of the broken, anachronistic, contemptuous-of-it's-own-electorate-yet-utterly-failed-at-it'main-design-principles electoral system in the US Presidential Elections I've been mentioning for a while now.

Or a perfect example of how big states alone cannot dominate the election.

Two reactions:

-- On this playthrough itself, OUCH. Maine, Minnesota, WTF? Also, who was Bernie's VP? Stein?

-- On the electoral college ... anyone who wants to dismiss the electoral college want to see presidential campaigns reduced to campaigning in the big cities, at huge bread-and-circuses events elsewhere, and on TV. The truth is that the electoral college keeps candidates coming to places not named California,Texas and New York, which is what would happen if the electoral college were dispensed with. For those who think the 'college is unfair, here's my suggestion: keep it winner-takes-the-state format, but get rid of the 2 points automatically awarded to every state, thus making things (almost) strictly proportionate. 

What we really need is preferential voting, but that'll never happen.

11 minutes ago, Take Me to La Riva said:

Two reactions:

-- On this playthrough itself, OUCH. Maine, Minnesota, WTF? Also, who was Bernie's VP? Stein?

-- On the electoral college ... anyone who wants to dismiss the electoral college want to see presidential campaigns reduced to campaigning in the big cities, at huge bread-and-circuses events elsewhere, and on TV. The truth is that the electoral college keeps candidates coming to places not named California,Texas and New York, which is what would happen if the electoral college were dispensed with. For those who think the 'college is unfair, here's my suggestion: keep it winner-takes-the-state format, but get rid of the 2 points automatically awarded to every state, thus making things (almost) strictly proportionate. 

What we really need is preferential voting, but that'll never happen.

Interesting game, poor Hillary. Still beating Trump in the popular vote but getting less electoral college votes. Also I'm almost certain that WI, MN an ME would all go Bernie IRL, or at least a congressional district in ME, giving the needed 1 EV, but too bad PI can't do that yet.

Rant on the Electoral college:

"If we abolish the electoral college, they'd just campaign in cities, large states, and other areas where people live instead of empty field- I mean states like Wyoming and Nebraska!!!"

I thought that getting people to vote for you was the point of a campaign in a democracy (or the system we have that kinda looks like a democracy if you squint at it)? Regardless, winning the top 11 most populated states gets you to 270 exactly, so this style of campaign is already possible.

pop.PNG

Another one I hear a lot is "oh they'd just campaign on the coasts and ignore smaller heartland states!!!" To which I say:

coasts.PNG

(Yes I know Vermont technically doesn't touch the Atlantic, but the people who use this argument are typically conservative and as such hate Vermont's politics as much as they do a "coastal elite" states)

4 hours ago, Biden Should've Run said:

Interesting game, poor Hillary. Still beating Trump in the popular vote but getting less electoral college votes. Also I'm almost certain that WI, MN an ME would all go Bernie IRL, or at least a congressional district in ME, giving the needed 1 EV, but too bad PI can't do that yet.

"If we abolish the electoral college, they'd just campaign in cities, large states, and other areas where people live instead of empty field- I mean states like Wyoming and Nebraska!!!"

I thought that getting people to vote for you was the point of a campaign in a democracy (or the system we have that kinda looks like a democracy if you squint at it)? Regardless, winning the top 11 most populated states gets you to 270 exactly, so this style of campaign is already possible.

pop.PNG

Another one I hear a lot is "oh they'd just campaign on the coasts and ignore smaller heartland states!!!" To which I say:

coasts.PNG

(Yes I know Vermont technically doesn't touch the Atlantic, but the people who use this argument are typically conservative and as such hate Vermont's politics as much as they do a "coastal elite" states)

But, right now both of those results are very improbable.  So hypothetically, yes they could happen, but they wouldn't ever happen in real life.

58 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

But, right now both of those results are very improbable.  So hypothetically, yes they could happen, but they wouldn't ever happen in real life.

I wouldn't say NEVER. In the 1920's they would have said a Republican would NEVER carry Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, or Louisiana, and would likely also say a Democrat would NEVER carry Vermont, Maine, or even Oregon. But - SURPRISE!

10 minutes ago, Patine said:

I wouldn't say NEVER. In the 1920's they would have said a Republican would NEVER carry Mississippi, Georgia, Alabama, or Louisiana, and would likely also say a Democrat would NEVER carry Vermont, Maine, or even Oregon. But - SURPRISE!

At the beginning of my post, I said right now.  Of course a lot could change in 20 years, but right now, those results would not happen.

On 2/21/2017 at 3:17 PM, TheLiberalKitten said:

Al Gore LOL

He was the probably why Bernie almost won LOL

I bet Bernie didn't win in Tennessee either, right?

On 2/21/2017 at 7:14 AM, Biden Should've Run said:

pop.PNG

coasts.PNG

Okay, this is a decent argument against the electoral college system, though others in this thread have pointed out that these outcomes seem unlikely at present.

On some level for me, though, it's mostly irrelevant which voting system is used in this country, thanks to the dominance of the duopoly. I believe that, if third parties are ever to come to prominence in this country, it will be due to the electoral college, e.g. a Gary Johnson-type (but far like idiotic) wins his home state and neither party gets a mjority of the electoral votes....

3 hours ago, Presidentinsertname said:

you did got the greens fundings and fuck the two party system thought.

But, with Bernie probably not running in 2020, this would probably be like Wallace and Perot in their rise (and their parties fall after they left).