270soft Forum

Serbia 2012 Presidential Election scenario

With the upcoming popular vote feature due to be released soon, I want to gauge interest in whether people would like a scenario of the 2012 Serbian Presidential Election. This election saw the continued battle between former Serbian Radical Party candidate Tomislav Nikolic and the more pro-western Boris Tadic. Nikolic won at the 4th attempt (one election was annulled for not having a high enough turnout).

I've worked on this as a personal project but it never felt ready due to the electoral college system. However a base version could be released quickly should there be interest or at least screenshots. The 2017 election is getting quite interesting as well and could be a good scenario also.

I actually have a large raft of Yugoslavian (and post-Yugoslavian) elections I had in the rafters with presidential, parliamentary, and some "special" elections which I had done a bunch of research for and acquired maps (to build maps for these games from, not finished, gameworthy maps), party logos, national and regional flags (and flag stand-ins in some cases), and other such things. I almost feared I'd have to become fluent in Serbo-Croatian to get all the information I needed. :P But I can potentially offer some aid.

Sure! I am following the 2017 election very closely, because it could be as much interesting as the French election.

On 20/02/2017 at 9:57 PM, Patine said:

I actually have a large raft of Yugoslavian (and post-Yugoslavian) elections I had in the rafters with presidential, parliamentary, and some "special" elections which I had done a bunch of research for and acquired maps (to build maps for these games from, not finished, gameworthy maps), party logos, national and regional flags (and flag stand-ins in some cases), and other such things. I almost feared I'd have to become fluent in Serbo-Croatian to get all the information I needed. :P But I can potentially offer some aid.

I should be alright with maps and logos, the areas of difficulty seem to be pinning the specific issues positions for each party and candidate as there is not always as huge amount in English. I have some knowledge of the language and country from University and can get a decent idea of the the political atmosphere but unfortunately not to the extent of translating and interpreting manifestos.

I am most likely to go with a generic issue system i.e.

EU Membership

• Far Left: Very anti-EU
  • Left: Very pro-EU
  • Centre-Left: Pro-EU
  • Centre: Maintain equally good relations with the EU and Russia
  • Centre-Right: Soft-Eurosceptic
  • Right: Highly Eurosecptic and Pro-Russia
  • Far-Right: Very anti-EU and Pro-Russia

@Patine How have you done the issues in your scenarios.?

36 minutes ago, daons said:

I should be alright with maps and logos, the areas of difficulty seem to be pinning the specific issues positions for each party and candidate as there is not always as huge amount in English. I have some knowledge of the language and country from University and can get a decent idea of the the political atmosphere but unfortunately not to the extent of translating and interpreting manifestos.

I am most likely to go with a generic issue system i.e.

EU Membership

• Far Left: Very anti-EU
  • Left: Very pro-EU
  • Centre-Left: Pro-EU
  • Centre: Maintain equally good relations with the EU and Russia
  • Centre-Right: Soft-Eurosceptic
  • Right: Highly Eurosecptic and Pro-Russia
  • Far-Right: Very anti-EU and Pro-Russia

@Patine How have you done the issues in your scenarios.?

Actually, my hard progress was still on Slovenia, Croatia, and Bosnia-Herzegovina, whose elections came first (I had planned a big series going from 1990 until the present day across the whole former Yugoslavia), but I had preparatory material for Serbia. Also, though people often think this question to be a distant, far, lesser priority in matters to a presidential election, which I find very strange, but perhaps the media in the modern skews our perceptions on this issue, demanding every nation, religion, organization, corporation, etc. be portrayed with and "all-powerful face or leader," even if that's not always, or even usually as true as it once was, what about the National Assembly elections and the selection of Prime Minister of Serbia (I know those elections don't quite line up with the Presidential ones, but they are also very important). On the phenomenon of people much, much more highly prioritizing presidential over legislative elections through sort of sensationalism, I was very surprised when @Conservative Elector 2, someone whose from Austria, made the election of the Austrian President, essentially a powerless, ceremonial figurehead, the paramount priority for Austrian election scenarios, and mostly dismissed the National Council elections, where the real organ of power is elected, including the nation's Chancellor, as not all a priority for such scenarios. Although I've already mentioned this a few times to him, I find the "elect-your-dictator" mentality so prevalent today not only highly inaccurate as to how nations with actually elected governments are run, but somewhat disturbing of a social phenomenon (which seemed to be the mentality many Americans had, given both their hopes for the achievements of the candidate they supported, and their fears of the ones they didn't, while discussing voting patterns in the election last year, and that Congress was seemingly inconsequential as an entity to many voter).

Anyways, rant aside (sorry about that), I'll have a look at my bookmarked and saved material I had in preparation for these election scenarios. However, it seems to me that Serbia might have a similar situation to the 2014 Ukrainian presidential and parliamentary elections, where, as I recall, in those, other than Svoboda (the far-right-wing, ultranationalist, neo-fascist party), and the Communist Party of Ukraine, all of the other major parties in Ukraine only meaningfully differed on foreign affairs (pro-EU and US vs. pro-Russia vs. self-sufficiency), and were almost identical in most other relevant issues. But I will have a look for you.

8 minutes ago, Patine said:

On the phenomenon of people much, much more highly prioritizing presidential over legislative elections through sort of sensationalism, I was very surprised when @Conservative Elector 2, someone whose from Austria, made the election of the Austrian President, essentially a powerless, ceremonial figurehead, the paramount priority for Austrian election scenarios, and mostly dismissed the National Council elections, where the real organ of power is elected, including the nation's Chancellor, as not all a priority for such scenarios. Although I've already mentioned this a few times to him, I find the "elect-your-dictator" mentality so prevalent today not only highly inaccurate as to how nations with actually elected governments are run, but somewhat disturbing of a social phenomenon (which seemed to be the mentality many Americans had, given both their hopes for the achievements of the candidate they supported, and their fears of the ones they didn't, while discussing voting patterns in the election last year, and that Congress was seemingly inconsequential as an entity to many voter).

Hahah I could create parliamentary elections as well for PI, but that is not really fitting, so I chose to create the presidential ones. I know it's not that important or interesting, but I chose to create scenarios from the country I know, (although I like US politics much more). President although not important, is the only direct elected office here, so there is not much than electing a party list in other elections... I would never miss a vote, if it has no real effect.

I don't have CI and even if I had, I don't know if non-US scenarios are possible. :D 

42 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Hahah I could create parliamentary elections as well for PI, but that is not really fitting, so I chose to create the presidential ones. I know it's not that important or interesting, but I chose to create scenarios from the country I know, (although I like US politics much more). President although not important, is the only direct elected office here, so there is not much than electing a party list in other elections... I would never miss a vote, if it has no real effect.

I don't have CI and even if I had, I don't know if non-US scenarios are possible. :D 

Well, non-US scenarios are definitely possible for CI - I can attest to that, as I have a bunch on the books. The National Council would only be done real justice by PMI (when, and if, an MMP or PR option is given), as it elects the head-of-government and executive council from amongst it's members, making PMI much more appropriate than CI in any case. I, myself, who have all the TheorySpark games, even the old ones from years ago, like to have a fairly wide spread of scenario options to pursue and, unlike most people currently posting on this forum, US scenarios and the US electoral and political party set-up are not really at all favourites to actively work on scenarios for, in terms of my own projects.