Jump to content
270soft Forum

PMI Spain Scenario


JDrakeify

Recommended Posts

I have been working on some Spain 2015/2016 scenarios for PMI. They aren't playable yet, I was going to wait till I had obtained a proper map and PR had been released before I posted them on the scenario page, but at the request of  @Matty1019 I have decided to share what I have so far here. There are three scenarios, one beginning in October 2015, and another in November (the main difference being Ciudadanos are polling far better in the second, reflecting the state of the polls at that point)  along with a third scenario for 2016, which I have designed to be a bit more tricky, given that it was a second election, resources are more limited and there are less voters to be won over.

Features in all three include: 

-Basically all the parties that were capable of challenging for at least one seat are available (PP, PSOE, Podemos/Unidos Podemos in 2016, Ciudadanos, United Left for the 2015 scenarios, PACMA, UPyD, Democracy and Freedom/CDC, ERC, Unio.cat, PNV, EH Bildu, Galician Nationalist Bloc, Canarian Coalition, Geroa Bai, More for Majorca in 2015, and Minor Parties in place of independents)

-All the lead candidates for each party (not necessarily the same as party leaders for regionalist parties) along with a large number of surrogates for the four main parties, including each head of an autonomous community

-Regions are autonomous communities with accompanying flags (everything is named in Spanish for authenticity) 

-It is difficult to do candidates for every single region in a PR system, so I opted to replace it with the name of the parties within the electoral alliance in that particular area (eg Podemos' candidate in Catalonia is En Comu Podem)

-Seeing as there is a at present no way for a player to tell in game how many seats are in a constituency, I added the number in brackets in the 'abbreviation' box, so that the number appears in bracket on the strategy screen like with EC votes in PI

-Results get announced gradually over the course of a shorter election night that begins at 8 in the evening and ends at around 2 in the morning, reflecting how they were counted in real life

-Issues have been amended to reflect Spanish politics as far as I could tell (major issues include corruption, unemployment, budget and deficit, and Catalonia)

-Debates are done to reflect the way they were in the real campaign, with invites used so that only Rivera and Iglesias will appear at the first debate, and the final debate being only between Sanchez and Rajoy, etc

-Endorsers and interviewers have been changed to reflect the Spanish media landscape though I am not sure how accurate I have been with them. There are also plenty of regional endorsers, which was a feature of PMI Canada that I felt was lacking in PMI UK

-Events have also been done, but I am unsure from playing through how to get them to appear in the daily news without raising the profile of the issue at the same time

I have an interest in Spanish politics, but not speaking the language I might have left out details out that would be obvious to someone with a bit more knowledge of the topic than me, so if people want to provide feedback on that or the game in general, they are more than welcome. I would in particular like to know about how to acquire a map or the background for one, if it is possible to convert the pound sign to Euros, and if the message that appears at the end of each election night about the Queen selecting the new PM can be altered specific to a scenario. 

You can find the scenario downloads below:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3gtsoqsnfb44wyd/Espana+November+Start.rar

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5dbijh6m569jfyb/Espana+2016.rar

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rd4andap27jqr6z/Espana+2015.rar

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JDrakeify said:

I have been working on some Spain 2015/2016 scenarios for PMI. They aren't playable yet, I was going to wait till I had obtained a proper map and PR had been released before I posted them on the scenario page, but at the request of  @Matty1019 I have decided to share what I have so far here. There are three scenarios, one beginning in October 2015, and another in November (the main difference being Ciudadanos are polling far better in the second, reflecting the state of the polls at that point)  along with a third scenario for 2016, which I have designed to be a bit more tricky, given that it was a second election, resources are more limited and there are less voters to be won over.

Features in all three include: 

-Basically all the parties that were capable of challenging for at least one seat are available (PP, PSOE, Podemos/Unidos Podemos in 2016, Ciudadanos, United Left for the 2015 scenarios, PACMA, UPyD, Democracy and Freedom/CDC, ERC, Unio.cat, PNV, EH Bildu, Galician Nationalist Bloc, Canarian Coalition, Geroa Bai, More for Majorca in 2015, and Minor Parties in place of independents)

-All the lead candidates for each party (not necessarily the same as party leaders for regionalist parties) along with a large number of surrogates for the four main parties, including each head of an autonomous community

-Regions are autonomous communities with accompanying flags (everything is named in Spanish for authenticity) 

-It is difficult to do candidates for every single region in a PR system, so I opted to replace it with the name of the parties within the electoral alliance in that particular area (eg Podemos' candidate in Catalonia is En Comu Podem)

-Seeing as there is a at present no way for a player to tell in game how many seats are in a constituency, I added the number in brackets in the 'abbreviation' box, so that the number appears in bracket on the strategy screen like with EC votes in PI

-Results get announced gradually over the course of a shorter election night that begins at 8 in the evening and ends at around 2 in the morning, reflecting how they were counted in real life

-Issues have been amended to reflect Spanish politics as far as I could tell (major issues include corruption, unemployment, budget and deficit, and Catalonia)

-Debates are done to reflect the way they were in the real campaign, with invites used so that only Rivera and Iglesias will appear at the first debate, and the final debate being only between Sanchez and Rajoy, etc

-Endorsers and interviewers have been changed to reflect the Spanish media landscape though I am not sure how accurate I have been with them. There are also plenty of regional endorsers, which was a feature of PMI Canada that I felt was lacking in PMI UK

-Events have also been done, but I am unsure from playing through how to get them to appear in the daily news without raising the profile of the issue at the same time

I have an interest in Spanish politics, but not speaking the language I might have left out details out that would be obvious to someone with a bit more knowledge of the topic than me, so if people want to provide feedback on that or the game in general, they are more than welcome. I would in particular like to know about how to acquire a map or the background for one, if it is possible to convert the pound sign to Euros, and if the message that appears at the end of each election night about the Queen selecting the new PM can be altered specific to a scenario. 

You can find the scenario downloads below:

Espana.rar

Espana 2016.rar

Espana 2015.rar

Even though it is an older game, shouldn't a Spanish Cortes scenario use Chancellor Forever 2009, given it uses the MMP and not FPTP electoral system in their modern elections? And FPTP-based scenario would give REALLY wonky results here...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Patine said:

Even though it is an older game, shouldn't a Spanish Cortes scenario use Chancellor Forever 2009, given it uses the MMP and not FPTP electoral system in their modern elections? And FPTP-based scenario would give REALLY wonky results here...

Hence why I am not going to release it properly till PR has been introduced for PMI. Its not really playable now. I felt it made more sense to hold out for that than buy an older game and create a scenario that I could soon do on a newer version. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JDrakeify said:

Hence why I am not going to release it properly till PR has been introduced for PMI. Its not really playable now. I felt it made more sense to hold out for that than buy an older game and create a scenario that I could soon do on a newer version. 

Also, isn't there somewhere in the scenario.xml file you can manually replace "Queen" with "King?" It may not be in the editor, but such a data line was present in all iterations of the PM4E and K4E games, but it may have to be changed manually by typing over it directly in the scenario.xml file.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patine said:

Also, isn't there somewhere in the scenario.xml file you can manually replace "Queen" with "King?" It may not be in the editor, but such a data line was present in all iterations of the PM4E and K4E games, but it may have to be changed manually by typing over it directly in the scenario.xml file.

I saw that earlier when I was trying to change the pound symbol to Euros, and it didn't work then. It might work for the last message, but since that only appears in the event of a hung parliament, and if I set it just to start on election night then the inevitable result is a PP majority due to disproportional results, it would take a bit more effort to find that one out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wolves said:

So what is going on with this? I like it but I'm having severe OCD over the lack of a Spain map.

So am I, but seeing as neither that or the background for the map seems to be available, there is not much else I can do. Hopefully the situation will have somehow resolved itself by the time PR is added to PMI

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JDrakeify said:

So am I, but seeing as neither that or the background for the map seems to be available, there is not much else I can do. Hopefully the situation will have somehow resolved itself by the time PR is added to PMI

I can provide the background, it may look a bit bad because I remade it myself but you can rate it yourself.

template map.bmp

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JDrakeify said:

Right, I have done the maps and reuploaded each of the files if people want to check it out.

Are you planning your final version to settle for FPTP, or will you wait till I can twist Anthony's arm to cough up an MMP system (or perhaps try it by the K4E game engine)? I don't think the results will look good at all by an FPTP scheme, in the same way every election that is MMP or STV in RL looks and turns out crappy by an FPTP take on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Patine said:

Are you planning your final version to settle for FPTP, or will you wait till I can twist Anthony's arm to cough up an MMP system (or perhaps try it by the K4E game engine)? I don't think the results will look good at all by an FPTP scheme, in the same way every election that is MMP or STV in RL looks and turns out crappy by an FPTP take on it.

The idea was to wait until PR came along, I only really uploaded these because Matty1019 was curious to have a look at what I currently had. Though, not being a veteran of previous 270soft games before the current generation, I have to ask, could MMP be done in such a way as to mimic list PR, which is what Spain and a bunch of other European countries have? Because if not, that wouldn't feel totally realistic either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JDrakeify said:

The idea was to wait until PR came along, I only really uploaded these because Matty1019 was curious to have a look at what I currently had. Though, not being a veteran of previous 270soft games before the current generation, I have to ask, could MMP be done in such a way as to mimick list PR, which is what Spain and a bunch of other European countries have, because if not, that wouldn't feel totally realistic either.

That's what K4E (Kanzler (which we used for the 'K' to differentiate it from Congress, but was the German office of Chancellor), covered. It just really bugged me that, in the new generation of TheorySpark games, despite the majority of standing national legislative bodies with free and fair contested elections in the world today having either MMP, STV, PR, or other electoral variants, he feels FPTP MUST be absolute paramount priority by far and won't give any commitment to reprising a system (even as an option for PMI and CI) for MMP, and he's very dismissive when I bring it up. It's really getting frustrating. :S

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Patine said:

That's what K4E (Kanzler (which we used for the 'K' to differentiate it from Congress, but was the German office of Chancellor), covered. It just really bugged me that, in the new generation of TheorySpark games, despite the majority of standing national legislative bodies with free and fair contested elections in the world today having either MMP, STV, PR, or other electoral variants, he feels FPTP MUST be absolute paramount priority by far and won't give any commitment to reprising a system (even as an option for PMI and CI) for MMP, and he's very dismissive when I bring it up. It's really getting frustrating. :S

I imagine they will come up with something for the German Election this year, so we will hopefully get PR by then at least.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Patine said:

That's what K4E (Kanzler (which we used for the 'K' to differentiate it from Congress, but was the German office of Chancellor), covered. It just really bugged me that, in the new generation of TheorySpark games, despite the majority of standing national legislative bodies with free and fair contested elections in the world today having either MMP, STV, PR, or other electoral variants, he feels FPTP MUST be absolute paramount priority by far and won't give any commitment to reprising a system (even as an option for PMI and CI) for MMP, and he's very dismissive when I bring it up. It's really getting frustrating. :S

I also feel like with people getting more and more connected to politics in Europe and Asia, that we seem to want more systems especially in the newer people being added to the fanbase overtime. I read through the older posts and people have always demanded PR but it seems to be getting more frequent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...