270soft Forum

Colonial North American Ancestry Poll

North American Colonial Ancestor's Poll (Please share what you know about your ancestors below)   

8 members have voted

1. 1. I have North American Colonial Ancestors (lived before 1776) in the following North American colonies...

• Massachusetts
    • New Hampshire
    • Connecticut
    • Maryland
    • Rhode Island
    • New York
    • New Jersey
    • Pennsylvania
    • Delaware
    • North Carolina
    • South Carolina
    • Georgia
    • Quebec, Newfoundland or Nova Scotia (French or English)
    • East or West Florida (Spanish) or New Spain (including Mexico, New Mexico, California, etc.)
    • Lousiana (French or Spanish)
    • Any member of a Native American tribe or Free or enslaved colonist of African descent
    • West Indian Island (Cuba, Bahamas, Haiti, Jamaica, etc.)
  2. 2. Did any of your ancestors fight or serve as politicians during the Revolutionary War?

3. 3. How Much Knowledge Do You Have of Your Ancestry? (check all that apply)

• I have done a lot of research, and I believe I have about as complete a history as I can get at the present time of who my ancestors are.
    • I can trace a lot of my ancestors to colonial times.
    • I can trade a lot of my ancestors before colonial times.
    • I can trace a few of my ancestors to the middle ages
    • I have one or more colonial immigrant ancestors with proven royal descent
    • I have taken a DNA test to see my genetic make up
    • I have an account with a genealogical website, like Ancestry.com
    • I share some of the same colonial immigrant ancestors as one or more US presidents
    • I've gone so far as to establish how related I am to famous people
    • I've done genealogical work, but I do not have any American ancestors.
    • I haven't done any or much genealogical work, but I'd like to know more about my family history.
    • I'm not that interested in ancestry or genealogy, but I see the value in it.
    • I don't see the value in learning about one's ancestry or genealogy, and I think it's a waste of time.

@vcczar

You didn't list New Spain (aka, modern Mexico, Central America, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and pre-Mexican War Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, Oklahoma, and parts of Colorado, Wyoming, and Nebraska), or the Hudson's Bay Company and Northwest Company fur-trading areas (the vast majority of the land area of modern Canada and effectively much of the Oregon Country until the border was settled in 1848).

26 minutes ago, Patine said:

Or, for that matter, the Anglo-Caribbean, Franco-Caribbean, or Dutch-Caribbean Colonies, if you're using the proper geographic definitions of "North America." What would Alexander Hamilton say of such an omission? :P

Actually, I had included those and somehow they disappeared! I had "New Spain, including Mexico, California, New Mexico, etc." and "West Indies (British, Dutch, French, etc.)" I think I accidentally typed over them when I typed in the native American and african descent answers. 

8 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@Patine

Are you going to fill this out?

My answer is difficult to fill out. I was adopted at two weeks old, and have never met my birth parents or taken a DNA test for genealogical purposes. I wasn't sure if adoptive heritage counted here the way you were wording it.

14 minutes ago, Patine said:

My answer is difficult to fill out. I was adopted at two weeks old, and have never met my birth parents or taken a DNA test for genealogical purposes. I wasn't sure if adoptive heritage counted here the way you were wording it.

It can count if you wish it, too. Are you curious about getting your DNA tested? It can often help people trace their birth parents, or information about them.

Admittedly, I don't know much about my geneology but I'd like to know more. 

I know I had a paternal great grandfather who was full-blooded Cherokee, but I was too young to remember him by the time he passed, so I marked that one. My great grandmother tells me all about him, though, she's somehow still kicking well into her 90s. I know that my maternal grandmother keeps some diary of one of our ancestors who immigrated to colonial America and keeps it in the best condition she can, and I've really only seen it once, so I don't really know where he immigrated to. I think it was somewhere in New England, but I'm not really sure. I might call her up and find out, I had forgotten about that for the longest time. Do those ancestry websites actually tell you much?

Since I can't really vote on this here are my answers:

1) None I guess

2) I don't know but I guess no

3) Option: I haven't done any or much genealogical work, but I'd like to know more about my family history.

13 hours ago, vcczar said:

@Biden Should've Run Do you know where in Philly your colonial ancestors lived?

Alas, I do not. My dad was big into tracing our family's genealogy a few years ago and was able to find ancestors as far back to the 900's, but I don't remember exactly where my colonial ancestors settled.

Also, my great grandfather likes to say that we're related to Sacagawea, but I haven't verified that.

7 hours ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Since I can't really vote on this here are my answers:

1) None I guess

2) I don't know but I guess no

3) Option: I haven't done any or much genealogical work, but I'd like to know more about my family history.

Being in Austria, you could actually be related to so many extinct noble title-holders it's not even funny how possible it is... :P

12 minutes ago, Patine said:

Being in Austria, you could actually be related to so many extinct noble title-holders it's not even funny how possible it is... :P

Haha hopefully I am :D 

17 hours ago, CalebsParadox said:

Admittedly, I don't know much about my geneology but I'd like to know more. 

I know I had a paternal great grandfather who was full-blooded Cherokee, but I was too young to remember him by the time he passed, so I marked that one. My great grandmother tells me all about him, though, she's somehow still kicking well into her 90s. I know that my maternal grandmother keeps some diary of one of our ancestors who immigrated to colonial America and keeps it in the best condition she can, and I've really only seen it once, so I don't really know where he immigrated to. I think it was somewhere in New England, but I'm not really sure. I might call her up and find out, I had forgotten about that for the longest time. Do those ancestry websites actually tell you much?

They can if someone you are related to, even somewhat distantly, has scrounged up a lot of information. If you know of any of your ancestors born before the 1940 census, then it is fairly easy to gather information from there, especially if your American ancestors are from the Northeast. 

@CalebsParadox @Patine @Biden Should've Run @Conservative Elector 2 @Take Me to La Riva @Sunnymentoaddict

Here are my Rev War ancestors:

Massachusetts: Samuel Maynard (died at Fort Ticonderoga), Abraham Thurlow (fought at Bunker Hill), Nevinson Greenwood, and Richard Adams (who was in the Massachusetts Colonial Legislature during the war). 

New Jersey: Alexander Martin

Pennsylvania: Peter Saurman

I probably have one or two more, but I haven't identified the parents of some of my ancestors. 

Even further back, I have a lot of early colonial Massachusetts legislators, town leaders, reverends and and military figures. The highest ranking military figure is Major General Humphrey Atherton. Also, notable is Major Simon Willard, who purchased Concord, Massachusetts, and Tristram Coffin, who purchased Nantucket. 

16 minutes ago, vcczar said:

@CalebsParadox @Patine @Biden Should've Run @Conservative Elector 2 @Take Me to La Riva @Sunnymentoaddict

Here are my Rev War ancestors:

Massachusetts: Samuel Maynard (died at Fort Ticonderoga), Abraham Thurlow (fought at Bunker Hill), Nevinson Greenwood, and Richard Adams (who was in the Massachusetts Colonial Legislature during the war). 

New Jersey: Alexander Martin

Pennsylvania: Peter Saurman

I probably have one or two more, but I haven't identified the parents of some of my ancestors. 

Even further back, I have a lot of early colonial Massachusetts legislators, town leaders, reverends and and military figures. The highest ranking military figure is Major General Humphrey Atherton. Also, notable is Major Simon Willard, who purchased Concord, Massachusetts, and Tristram Coffin, who purchased Nantucket. 

Out of curiosity, were your Massachusetts colonial legislature ancestors from the days when only Puritans could hold office or own land in the colony (1629-1689), or when those rights extended to any Christian denomination accepted at that time by the British Crown (the 1692-1775 period) after the failed attempt at colonial consolidation that was the Dominion of New England?

13 minutes ago, Patine said:

Out of curiosity, were your Massachusetts colonial legislature ancestors from the days when only Puritans could hold office or own land in the colony (1629-1689), or when those rights extended to any Christian denomination accepted at that time by the British Crown (the 1692-1775 period) after the failed attempt at colonial consolidation that was the Dominion of New England?

They're almost all Puritans, with the earliest arriving in 1628, and most of the before 1640. I have a few that are Quaker or Anglican from Massachusetts. My Pennsylvanian ancestors are Quaker, Baptist, Lutheran and Anglican. 

12 minutes ago, Reagan04 said:

@vcczar missed a biggy, my Virginia. That's like 95% of my ancestry.

Yeah, something weird happened. That was the first state I type for the poll, because I put them up in chronological order. Not sure what the hell happened. It messed up some of the later things I inputted, too.