270soft Forum

1 minute ago, TheLiberalKitten said:

Lol. Well I could always do a 1988 scenario. Or maybe a scenario from the 1990s or early 2000s. 

1988 is a sought after one, it seems. Mondale only won Minnesota, but Dukakis without the gaffes...... possibilities there.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Patine said:

@TheLiberalKitten

I don't know if I'd fully give up on this. It could be a very good challenging scenario as the ultimate "giantkiller" election campaign in post-WW2 US Presidential politics.

Alas I am still working on the 1988 election. However, classes have kept me busy. :) but it's nearly done. 

On 2/11/2017 at 8:59 PM, TheLiberalKitten said:

I'm thinking of making the 1984 election. Would anyone like to help by giving me the candidates as well as what if candidates, events, ETC. 

I could always use Wikipedia lol 

I'd appreciate all the help you guys could give!  

While it would be lopsided, the inclusion of Ted Kennedy as a What-if, or the creation of a couple of major fictional events (set their chance of occurrence very low) might make it an interesting scenario. To make Kennedy competitive, you'll probably have to have his campaign strength.organization, etc slightly stronger than Reagan's, since Reagan's pop vote % will cause him to steamroll Kennedy otherwise. I'd have have Reagan at 4 in all the organization categories for the general election. I'd have Kennedy at 5 in all of them except for foot. Kennedy will also be hurt by having an integrity of 2. 

There were some other stronger options for the Democrats as well, but everyone expected Reagan to win, so the big shots didn't run. 

You could also find some what-if challengers to Reagan. Find a moderate Republican that was critical of Reagan and find a very conservative one that thought that Reagan betrayed his ideals. This could help drain Reagan to make the Democrats more compatible. Like many historical elections, the what-if scenarios really make it playable. I created the 1789-1956 scenarios, except 1824 and 1912, which I helped with.I was thinking about doing 1960 to the present, but I'm already multi-tasking with too many projects. I hope you make it, and then I can overlook it when you think you're done, and make some suggestions. 

40 minutes ago, vcczar said:

While it would be lopsided, the inclusion of Ted Kennedy as a What-if, or the creation of a couple of major fictional events (set their chance of occurrence very low) might make it an interesting scenario. To make Kennedy competitive, you'll probably have to have his campaign strength.organization, etc slightly stronger than Reagan's, since Reagan's pop vote % will cause him to steamroll Kennedy otherwise. I'd have have Reagan at 4 in all the organization categories for the general election. I'd have Kennedy at 5 in all of them except for foot. Kennedy will also be hurt by having an integrity of 2. 

There were some other stronger options for the Democrats as well, but everyone expected Reagan to win, so the big shots didn't run. 

You could also find some what-if challengers to Reagan. Find a moderate Republican that was critical of Reagan and find a very conservative one that thought that Reagan betrayed his ideals. This could help drain Reagan to make the Democrats more compatible. Like many historical elections, the what-if scenarios really make it playable. I created the 1789-1956 scenarios, except 1824 and 1912, which I helped with.I was thinking about doing 1960 to the present, but I'm already multi-tasking with too many projects. I hope you make it, and then I can overlook it when you think you're done, and make some suggestions. 

Maybe Crane feeling that his role as the "leader of the conservative Republicans" had been undermined and subordinated to an ex-movie star known for pro-labour pro-Democrat radio endorsements in 1948 who took spiritual advice more seriously from an astrologer than any Christian pastor...

7 hours ago, vcczar said:

This is what I actually plan on doing. However I've been focused on the 1988 election. It's nearly complete, it just needs a few more endorsers, and I'll need to edit the polls.