270soft Forum

Poll: Republican Senate Candidates 2016 #2

Republican Senate Candidates in 2016  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have voted for in 2016?

• All of them
    • None
    • Richard Shelby (Alabama)
    • Lisa Murkowski (Alaska)
    • John McCain (Arizona)
    • John Boozman (Arkansas)
    • Darryl Glenn (Colorado)
    • Dan Carter (Connecticut)
    • Marco Rubio (Florida)
    • Johnny Isakson (Georgia)
    • John Carroll (Hawaii)
    • Mike Crapo (Idaho)
    • Mark Kirk (Illinois)
    • Todd Young (Indiana)
    • Chuck Grassley (Iowa)
    • Jerry Moran (Kansas)
    • Rand Paul (Kentucky)
    • John Neely Kennedy (Louisiana)
    • Kathy Szeliga (Maryland)
    • Roy Blunt (Missouri)
  2. 2. Who would you have voted for in 2016?

• All of them
    • None
    • Joe Heck (Nevada)
    • Kelly Ayotte (New Hampshire)
    • Wendy Long (New York)
    • Richard Burr (North Carolina)
    • John Hoeven (North Dakota)
    • Rob Portman (Ohio)
    • James Lankford (Oklahoma)
    • Mark Callahan (Oregon)
    • Pat Toomey (Pennsylvania)
    • Tim Scott (South Carolina)
    • John Thune (South Dakota)
    • Mike Lee (Utah)
    • Scott Milne (Vermont)
    • Chris Vance (Washington)
    • Ron Johnson (Wisconsin)

I noticed an error in the first poll, so I will try it a 2nd time. Sorry, but it won't let me change that...

Another poll: for which of this Republican Senate candidates (I will do the same for Democrats as well) would you have voted in 2016? I know many people might vote along party lines (me too), but perhaps some will not, so it could be interesting to see.

I don't know enough about most of them to say yes or no. It's probably easier for me to list who I wouldn't vote for definitely:

Marco Rubio
Mike Lee

49 minutes ago, VanMav said:

I don't know enough about most of them to say yes or no. It's probably easier for me to list who I wouldn't vote for definitely:

Marco Rubio
Mike Lee

Sure

Okay I see. I like Rubio very much, Lee is pretty okay for me but he is not among my real favorite senators. However, I would have chosen Lee as my Supreme Court pick, if Ted Cruz had not accepted my invitation.

I actually did vote for Chris Vance, but in terms of the "definitely no", I'd say Ayotte (really screwed up her candidacy with her "Never Trump" stance) and Murkowski (the RINO who voted against Betsy DeVos)

3 hours ago, servo75 said:

I actually did vote for Chris Vance, but in terms of the "definitely no", I'd say Ayotte (really screwed up her candidacy with her "Never Trump" stance) and Murkowski (the RINO who voted against Betsy DeVos)

I agree with you on Murkowski, but I would have voted for Ayotte (even though I disagree on things, she is better than Hassan)

Just now, jvikings1 said:

I agree with you on Murkowski, but I would have voted for Ayotte (even though I disagree on things, she is better than Hassan)

Oh yes I would have picked her over Hassan, I interpreted the poll as which ones would you most likely to support.

7 minutes ago, servo75 said:

Oh yes I would have picked her over Hassan, I interpreted the poll as which ones would you most likely to support.

Ah.

In Alaska, would you be the same as me and vote for Joe Miller?

"The Republican Party has lost it's way." Former Republican Congressman and three-time Presidential hopeful Ron Paul.

Although I disagree with a LOT of what he says, he has valid points on currency (especially the folly of modern fiat-valued currency), he actually acknowledges the REAL reason for why international terrorism and hostile sentiments against the US abound in the world today, and not the myths promoted by both major US parties, and he has denounced both the Neo-cons and the Evangelists as "hijacking" the Republican Party.

4 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Ah.

In Alaska, would you be the same as me and vote for Joe Miller?

I'm not that familiar with Joe Miller, but if he was opposing Murkowski as a Libertarian, I'd have to give it serious consideration.

5 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I would argue that this election shows a rejection of the neocon foreign policy.

I'm not quite so sure. The neo-cons also brought blanket profiling and other very questionable policies in the name of "national security" to the common parlance of modern American policy (ones which, in the end, don't tend to work against dedicated members of the groups who are the REAL threat they're directed against, and really only serve to antagonize people with legitimate visas and business and drum up unnecessary animosity against the government making those policies - so, a negative sum result, in the end).

16 hours ago, Patine said:

I'm not quite so sure. The neo-cons also brought blanket profiling and other very questionable policies in the name of "national security" to the common parlance of modern American policy (ones which, in the end, don't tend to work against dedicated members of the groups who are the REAL threat they're directed against, and really only serve to antagonize people with legitimate visas and business and drum up unnecessary animosity against the government making those policies - so, a negative sum result, in the end).

Trump's temporary halting of immigration from 6 failed states and 1 sponsor of terrorism isn't something that just neocons would support.  Plus, Trump was one of the least hawkish candidates in the race (being against knocking out dictators in the goal of "spreading democracy.")

5 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Trump's temporary halting of immigration from 6 failed states and 1 sponsor of terrorism isn't something that just neocons would support.  Plus, Trump was one of the least hawkish candidates in the race (being against knocking out dictators in the goal of "spreading democracy.")

Regardless, it's a policy doomed to fail. And, the US has had it's own history of sponsoring terrorist groups (UNITA, RENAMO, the Contras, even the FSA in Syria today by some accounts of their tactics, just to name a few), but really like to condemn other countries for "sponsoring terrorism" from a "moral high horse" as through their own record on the issue was absolutely clean and pure.

23 hours ago, servo75 said:

Sorry for that. Yeah it was intended to decide in which state races someone would have voted along party lines or not. I would have voted for every Republican nominee, but perhaps some others would not have. Like @jvikings1 who would have voted for all except Sen. Murkowski. This was the aim of the poll :)

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, Patine said:

Regardless, it's a policy doomed to fail. And, the US has had it's own history of sponsoring terrorist groups (UNITA, RENAMO, the Contras, even the FSA in Syria today by some accounts of their tactics, just to name a few), but really like to condemn other countries for "sponsoring terrorism" from a "moral high horse" as through their own record on the issue was absolutely clean and pure.

True. Some politicians chose a policy that backfired.  The uncertainty and hypocrisy is exactly why I am against arming "moderate" groups.

But, if redone in a way that could get rid of the kinks, the temporary "ban" has potential.