270soft Forum

Right to Work

I am pleased to share with you that Kentucky has just become the 26th right to work state.  We were the last state in the South, but with the Republicans dominating in the elections here, it finally got passed through.

22 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

I am pleased to share with you that Kentucky has just become the 26th right to work state.  We were the last state in the South, but with the Republicans dominating in the elections here, it finally got passed through.

Oh, please, do not praise one of the most insultingly, backhandedly, and blatantly incorrectly named state-level policies in recent the US political atmosphere that is ONLY good if you own a corporation or company or are in a very managerial position or self-employed or have negotiated an iron-clad employment contract with your employer already and screws over utterly the vast majority of those who are known as the "the working class" or even many trained tradespeople or white collar workers. So, congratulations on moving back to those horrific Industrial Revolution standards of employment by yet another step. :S

1 hour ago, Patine said:

Oh, please, do not praise one of the most insultingly, backhandedly, and blatantly incorrectly named state-level policies in recent the US political atmosphere that is ONLY good if you own a corporation or company or are in a very managerial position or self-employed or have negotiated an iron-clad employment contract with your employer already and screws over utterly the vast majority of those who are known as the "the working class" or even many trained tradespeople or white collar workers. So, congratulations on moving back to those horrific Industrial Revolution standards of employment by yet another step. :S

Nope, we are just protecting the workers who do not want to be forced to pay unions.  These policies have helped turn around states like Wisconsin, thank you Scott Walker, and have put states surrounding Kentucky at an advantage for many years.  now, Kentucky has leveled the playing field in this regard.

6 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

Nope, we are just protecting the workers who do not want to be forced to pay unions.  These policies have helped turn around states like Wisconsin, thank you Scott Walker, and have put states surrounding Kentucky at an advantage for many years.  now, Kentucky has leveled the playing field in this regard.

Scott Walker is a political conman and a corporate pawn and crony. He hasn't told you the inevitable LONG-TERM consequences of these policies and their ramifications, only his snake oil, corporately pre-packaged and endorsed for distribution by other state governors. This will be learned when the huge number of unemployed at some point in the future (larger than today) learn painfully they DON'T have the 'right' to work, or even to make enough to realistically make a meager living by working like a dog to the point they have no meaningful life outside of work.

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Isnt Missouri apart of the south?

MO is weird, technically Northern by fighting for the United States, but southern politically and socially.

However, these laws are illegal iny opinion by weakening ones right to assembly. 

We say that these laws are good for thworkers, yet their wages have not kept pace with productivity if we start observing since the 80s when these laws began sweeping the nation.  Allowing workers to assemble and negotiate with their employer is far more american than stifling that.

4 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

MO is weird, technically Northern by fighting for the United States, but southern politically and socially.

However, these laws are illegal iny opinion by weakening ones right to assembly. 

We say that these laws are good for thworkers, yet their wages have not kept pace with productivity if we start observing since the 80s when these laws began sweeping the nation.  Allowing workers to assemble and negotiate with their employer is far more american than stifling that.

This is definitely true. There was a certain leader in Italy who had the brilliant idea that neutering the power of labour unions and restricting (and shortly after criminalizing) their activities would 'liberate and empower workers to greater prosperity and productivity." That leader's name was Benito Mussolini. It just may have crossed your ears here and there... ;:S

20 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

Actually Kentucky is the 27th Right to Work state, 25 of the 27 Right to work states voted Trump in the last election 

You are right.  Wikipedia had not updates their number yet, so I got the wrong number.

12 hours ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

How is making it so a person who doesn't want to be a part of a union doesn't have to be in the union violate their right to assembly.  This isn't banning unions just ending the practice of FORCED unionization.

21 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Congratulations!

9 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

How is making it so a person who doesn't want to be a part of a union doesn't have to be in the union violate their right to assembly.  This isn't banning unions just ending the practice of FORCED unionization.

Il Duce is always right, even today, I guess. ;S

57 minutes ago, Patine said:

Il Duce is always right, even today, I guess. ;S

Just because evil dictators have done something doesn't mean every attempt to keep unions in check is part of a fascist scheme.

7 minutes ago, Sunnymentoaddict said:

If the fascist dictator is doing something pro business like gutting unions, yeah maybe we should be cautious on recreating that in the US.

As someone who supports unionization, this is a very weak argument. Yes, a fascist dictator did this. However, that does not mean we are recreating anything close to that type of state in the U.S. 

@Patine, @Sunnymentoaddict, what argument against the right to work is strongest? I'm not the most familiar with this fork of legislation to be honest, but pointing out that fascists did this as well isn't really helping me for forming an opinion :P

• 3 months later...

Update: Braidy Industries, an aluminum company, has decided to place a facility in eastern Kentucky that will create 550 permanent jobs and will invest $1.3 billion in an area that really needs it.  Plus, 1,000 workers will be needed to build the facility.  This would not have happened if right to work was not passed.

15 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

Update: Braidy Industries, an aluminum company, has decided to place a facility in eastern Kentucky that will create 550 permanent jobs and will invest $1.3 billion in an area that really needs it.  Plus, 1,000 workers will be needed to build the facility.  This would not have happened if right to work was not passed.

Based on what I've just posted now previously in another thread, I'm respectfully not to touch this topic.

I'm fine with stopping workers from being forced to pay union fees, I have to do it and it's honestly a pain and just sucks off my wages. Anyone who doesn't endorse this has never been forced to pay union fees, it's pretty ridiculous how much they charge nowdays.

On 10/01/2017 at 2:17 AM, CalebsParadox said:

what argument against the right to work is strongest? I'm not the most familiar with this fork of legislation to be honest, but pointing out that fascists did this as well isn't really helping me for forming an opinion :P

There's literally no reason to not support right to work unless you want people to be forced to pay into a union to work a job or something, right to work only protects peoples right to freedom to association. It's more fascist really to FORCE people to join unions.

24 minutes ago, wolves said:

I'm fine with stopping workers from being forced to pay union fees, I have to do it and it's honestly a pain and just sucks off my wages. Anyone who doesn't endorse this has never been forced to pay union fees, it's pretty ridiculous how much they charge nowdays.

I assume you also insist on getting paid the wages people in your line of work got before becoming unionized

Just now, pilight said:

I assume you also insist on getting paid the wages people in your line of work got before becoming unionized

I can only speak for myself however I have no problems with unions as entities to represent workers. I have an issue with workers being forced to or forced not to join a union.

Just now, pilight said:

Well I don't mind, my job is merely one I'm doing until I'm trained in a trade, I just like the extra cash.

28 minutes ago, wolves said:

There's literally no reason to not support right to work unless you want people to be forced to pay into a union to work a job or something, right to work only protects peoples right to freedom to association. It's more fascist really to FORCE people to join unions.

You do realize that Fascism, as deplorable as it is, is not just a stand-in for or synonymous with generic tyranny, dictatorship, or despotism as a broad phenomenon, but is a specific social, economic, and political philosophy that has NEVER supported and only vehemently opposed labour unions as an institution and in terms of their very existence. So, saying it's more FASCIST to force people to join unions is not at all true by definition or by any understanding of what's being discussed.

Just now, Patine said:

You do realize that Fascism, as deplorable as it is, is not just a stand-in for or synonymous with generic tyranny, dictatorship, or despotism as a broad phenomenon

I don't know why you have to imply right to work as fascist then and have to use that as some kind of argument.

Just now, Patine said:

So, saying it's more FASCIST to force people to join unions is not at all true by definition or by any understanding of what's being discussed.

Then, I'll state it's authoritarian, which is what it is by context, correct?

19 minutes ago, republicaninnyc said:

I can only speak for myself however I have no problems with unions as entities to represent workers. I have an issue with workers being forced to or forced not to join a union.

So you have no objection to people claiming the advantages of unionization without paying for it.