270soft Forum

Which of the following scenarios would you have interest in?

Potential Scenarios  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following scenarios would you have interest in playing?

• New York City Mayoral Election - 2017
    • MLB Commissioner Election - 2014
    • Boston Mayoral Election - 2013
    • Chicago Mayoral Election - 2015
    • Houston Mayoral Election - 2015
    • San Diego Mayoral Special Election - 2013-2014
    • Jacksonville Mayoral Election - 2015
    • Charlotte Mayoral Election - 2015
    • Baltimore Mayoral Election - 2016
    • Massachusetts Gubernatorial Election - 2018
    • I have no interest in any of these
  2. 2. Which of the following would you have little to no interest in playing?

• I'd have interest in playing all of these
  3. 3. Which scenario would you have the most interest in playing?

4 minutes ago, jvikings1 said:

The only one that I wouldn't want to play is Baltimore because of how much of a landslide that the results always turn out to be.

That's true. It's practically like the State Governor elections in the Deep South from the end of Reconstruction until the 1960's, where the choice was pretty much made in the Democratic Primaries, and the General Elections (where the Republicans and sometimes Third Parties and Independents put up candidates commonly called in the day 'sacrificial lambs' in the parlance) were thus a foregone conclusion. The big difference is the Democratic Party who dominates Baltimore and the Democratic Party who dominated the Old Deep South seem in retrospect to be ENTIRELY different party, just with the same name, registry, symbols, and general pedigree, but otherwise, especially ideologically, unrecognizable to each other.

On 1/7/2017 at 5:29 PM, Patine said:

That's true. It's practically like the State Governor elections in the Deep South from the end of Reconstruction until the 1960's, where the choice was pretty much made in the Democratic Primaries, and the General Elections (where the Republicans and sometimes Third Parties and Independents put up candidates commonly called in the day 'sacrificial lambs' in the parlance) were thus a foregone conclusion. The big difference is the Democratic Party who dominates Baltimore and the Democratic Party who dominated the Old Deep South seem in retrospect to be ENTIRELY different party, just with the same name, registry, symbols, and general pedigree, but otherwise, especially ideologically, unrecognizable to each other.

On 1/7/2017 at 5:19 PM, jvikings1 said:

The only one that I wouldn't want to play is Baltimore because of how much of a landslide that the results always turn out to be.

Actually, with the indy campaign of Sheila Dixon this year, the race was highly competitive and swung back and forth. This comes from a MDer fed up with dems in my state.

I've already started doing the NYC scenario and after that I'll do the Massachusetts gubernatorial and Houston mayoral elections.  Not sure about after that.

Admittedly, I would love to have a Jacksonville Mayoral Election. A good chunk of my family lives there (as did I for some time) and Gainesville (as did I as well). It's also notable for going reliably Republican in general elections, but the mayoral elections have been very competitive in the past two election cycles. 

I have an interesting in the NYC and Boston mayoral elections and the Massachusetts gubernatorial. I have no interest in the rest. 

Here are other mayoral and gubernatorial elections that I would like to see:

Any upcoming or historical mayoral elections for Boston, Cambridge, NYC, Philly, New Orleans, San Francisco, Austin, San Marcos (TX), Milwaukee (between 1890-1960 only).

Any colonial elections, especially for Massachusetts, at the local or colony level, regardless if executive or legislature. 

For gubernatorial elections, I'd be interested in Massachusetts and Texas, primarily, but might play others depending on my mood. 

3 hours ago, vcczar said:

I have an interesting in the NYC and Boston mayoral elections and the Massachusetts gubernatorial. I have no interest in the rest. 

Here are other mayoral and gubernatorial elections that I would like to see:

Any upcoming or historical mayoral elections for Boston, Cambridge, NYC, Philly, New Orleans, San Francisco, Austin, San Marcos (TX), Milwaukee (between 1890-1960 only).

Any colonial elections, especially for Massachusetts, at the local or colony level, regardless if executive or legislature. 

For gubernatorial elections, I'd be interested in Massachusetts and Texas, primarily, but might play others depending on my mood. 

Actually, I had a bit of a start on a Virginia House of Burgesses 1619 and Massachusetts Bay Colony General Court 1634 elections by CI, and I had the analogs to parties plotted out (basically informal loose ideological blocs of like-minded candidates, as neither of those elections had formal or recognized political parties, per se) and a list of electoral districts which the colonial hustings listed as the areas candidates ran in and represented, but I stalled due to lack of a map for each. I may resume these projects if that obstacle can be overcome.

2 hours ago, jvikings1 said:

I could attempt to help. I have not even tried a full scale map creation, but there is a first for everything.

@Conservative Elector 2 seems to be able to find suitable maps.

I can try it. Just tell me what you need, and I'll bare it in mind. At the end of January (January 26th - February 2nd) exams weeks will start, so I am a bit busy since some weeks.

Just now, Conservative Elector 2 said:

I can try it. Just tell me what you need, and I'll bare it in mind. At the end of January (January 26th - February 2nd) exams weeks will start, so I am a bit busy since some weeks.

The big problem is, the maps I'd need are VERY hard to find, and the ones I can find are in the format of VERY old cartographers (essentially two or three steps of advancement beyond "here there be serpents").

Yeah that's a problem I know! I am not very experienced at self drawing them, but redrawing could be possible with Gimp. That depends on the templates.

2 minutes ago, Conservative Elector 2 said:

Yeah that's a problem I know! I am not very experienced at self drawing them, but redrawing could be possible with Gimp. That depends on the templates.

Here's an example, to show, what I mean, of a map of the Massachusetts Bay Colony from around the time I'd be setting my scenario.

Example Massachusetts Map.jpg

Oh wow that's tough :D 

24 minutes ago, jnewt said:

I just posted the NYC Mayoral election and will start working on the Massachusetts Gubernatorial election next

A hypothetical off-by-default candidate suggestion that's probably out of left field and not likely to happen, but what about Erica Garner? She doesn't have much money, but some of those big civil rights groups and activists MIGHT stump up funds and support for her, POSSIBLY. Just a thought there.

49 minutes ago, Patine said:

A hypothetical off-by-default candidate suggestion that's probably out of left field and not likely to happen, but what about Erica Garner? She doesn't have much money, but some of those big civil rights groups and activists MIGHT stump up funds and support for her, POSSIBLY. Just a thought there.

I'll think about adding her to an update and if I see/hear any rumors about her possibly running she'll be added as an off candidate

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if anyone's dying to play any of them anyways, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding the necessary information and/or maps for most of the city-wide scenarios.  I may go ahead and do another Senatorial or Gubernatorial election instead.